What year(s) did Gibson use birds eye maple?

DonP

Reaction score
The first 5 G0's (not G0's at that time in late 2002) were birdseye.

ElhazGuy

Reaction score
Bird's eyes are not my favorite tops, but it'd not be bad having one of those...
:D

Farmer Ed

Reaction score
Is their any discussion on the torrified birdseye maple tops from 2016? I'm considering buying one.

pillbug

Reaction score
I’ve had three 2016 Birdseye Standards and they were all killer, each with its own very unique pattern.

Farmer Ed

Reaction score
thanks. The one I'm looking at is essentially new/unplayed. I've never owned a LP before but have owned a 345TD and currently an EPI Bonamassa ES355 which is a really nice guitar BTW, but too slim a neck design for my now arthritic hands. The 50's neck on the torrified maple top 2016 may help a lot. But I just have not played any other than a new Epi 59 outfit a buddy brought by a few weeks ago, and I loved the bigger neck. But I'd really like to get the real deal this time. Maybe I'm a brand snob now. I mail ordered in a Gibson std., a new slash anaconda model which was beautiful but the Gibson QC sucked worse than a MIC knockoff. I sent it back horrified. Strings did not fit in the nut grooves, I could not get one properly intonated, and finish was buggered along side the neck joint on the top on both sides. I'm pretty sure product quality is the fastest way to destroy your business. What a shame. Epiphones come with good out of the box quality now. So finding a nice used one seems a safer bet.

Roadcat

Reaction score
I think those are all great looking guitars; although, I'm a little biased, as I have a birds eye top as well. To each his own :D That being said, I'd love to find a nice standard in tobacco burst with a flame top. Need to take some better pics, but here's a photo of mine.

SANY0061.jpg
I played with a guitarist that a very similar top in the late 60s. I liked it.

Latest Threads