What would you pay? 52/56 Les Paul Standard w/refin

johnpace2

Reaction score
Hi All,

There's a local 1952 Les Paul Standard that has been converted to 1956 specs. No neck reset was needed. The guitar has been refinished in black nitro as well (by a pro). No breaks, original P90s and case.

The owner is asking $10,500 and I wanted to see what the group thinks is fair.

For me personally, the later 53 and up specs are way more useful to me than a 52/53 with a trapeze equipped guitar.

Thanks!
John

johnpace2

Reaction score
I should add that the current finish is the 2nd time it was finished in black. The first time it was done poorly and some of the paint seeped into the pores, so this guitar cannot be stripped down and bursted without taking some wood off it (or so I am told). I'd either leave it as is or have it put back to gold top.

christopherJ

Reaction score
Hard to tell without seeing it. I would say his asking is top of the market.

Uncle Vinnie

Proud Boomer
Premium Member
Reaction score
What would you like to pay for it?

And what I mean by that is this: In addition to guitars, I like older firearms. At gun shows a guy may be asking $1,000 for a gun I like: I'll take out seven $100 bills and lay it in front of him and not say a word: 9 times out of 10 they'll bite.

Try plunking down $7,500 cash and see what he does: He can only say no or counter your offer.

Liam

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Probably is top end, but would I pay it? That would depend on 2 things. First I would need to be confident that it was "as described", with genuinely original parts other than the bridge conversion. Second, I would need to love it just as it is, rather than needing to find someone that could turn it back into a Goldtop. If I could square up both of those in my mind, I would be having a slightly tense conversation with my wife already.

Liam

johnpace2

Reaction score
Thanks everyone and sorry for the delayed response. I played the guitar and I think it's as described. It plays well, stays in tune and is very loud unplugged. I think I'd want to return the guitar to a gold top as the black doesn't do much for me.

I'm not willing to pay $10.5K, but I've yet to make an offer so I'm not sure exactly what I'm comfortable with but I'd say $8500-$9000 is where I'd be. I'm not sure the chances of acceptance are high given that people keep talking about this crazy hot corona virus market.

Truth011

Reaction score
An abr1-stop tailpiece is a nice upgrade to a players grade 52 IMO. It's the same change Alan Wilson of canned heat made to his early 50's goldtop.I'd offer 9k personally if it was a player. Good Luck!

Brek

Reaction score
Interesting topic, I found one in europe for sale the shop is asking £15k for, '57 spec GT + 'buckers. sounded pricey to me. I guess i was right.

cherrick

Reaction score
So, when you say '56 specs, I assume you mean a stopbar tailpiece and an ABR style bridge.

If it were mine, I would strip and lightly sand it just to get as much off the wood as possible and then goldtop it with thin Nitro.

mdubya

Reaction score
Photos would be helpful. :)

The price range sounds right is everything else is true.

kakerlak

Reaction score
Yeah, photos would help. Ask isn't necessarily too far out of line, but it kind of depends what sort of overall shape it's in. Is the fretboard nice or full of divots? Are the edges of the headstock nice and crisp? Has anything been sanded out of round/square in it's two refins? Was the stop tail mounted in the right spot, nice and straight? If it presents itself as a nice, unmolested vintage guitar with a pro refin, then it's in range. If it's wonky or worn down, then maybe not. If you plan to refinish it professionally, you'll never get that money back out of it, just for a color change.

jwinger

Reaction score
Personally if the wood isn't messed with and it is as described I'd be snapping it up. It's a good price for unmolested old wood

red_house356

Reaction score
If you can manage to talk him down to $8500-9000, I would say that's a fair price for a '52-'56 conversion. Say that you're going to get a refin and that's affecting your purchase price. I paid slightly more than the asking price (10.5K) for my refin'd '53. I think under 10K would be a bargain. Most of the original goldtops have skyrocketed in price since everyone is converting these into pseudo-bursts. Player grade '52-53 are becoming hard to come by.

red_house356

Reaction score
I should add that the current finish is the 2nd time it was finished in black. The first time it was done poorly and some of the paint seeped into the pores, so this guitar cannot be stripped down and bursted without taking some wood off it (or so I am told). I'd either leave it as is or have it put back to gold top.
Any idea where you might send it to get refin'd gold?

sws1

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
If it doesn't sound good, I wouldn't pay anything. Been there, done that.

boogieongtr

Reaction score
Make sure the ABR1 bridge and stop tail are in the correct position. I've seen several of these done that were way off on positioning.

crashbelt

Reaction score
I wouldnt touch a so-called conversion.

You can get a great all original 50s Junior for that money instead of a Frankenstein fake.

cherrick

Reaction score
Any idea where you might send it to get refin'd gold?
Where are you located?

You might want to ask this question in the Luthier forum. And I would ask Erik Ernest (sp?). I know he has thoughts.

Pete M

Reaction score
I would be dubious about it not needing a neck reset. Also converting it to "56 spec" is different to just adding a stoptail and ABR1 in a random location. I'd have to see it first.

Latest Threads