What was your first guitar

nick1962

Reaction score
A terrible Jedson telecaster, with cheese-wire strings and a whammy bar that fell off if you tried to use it too much - but in England in the mid-70s there was not much available for a youth on a budget!

Dr.Acula

Reaction score
Epiphone SG...God sometimes it sounds better then my Gibson flying V. Of course after I made it better

BabyDave

Reaction score
Find a local music store and have them set it up for you.

What does that include? About how much does that usually cost? I'm sorry if these questions are out of place, I have no experience whatsoever with a guitar.

xxGuy

Reaction score
My first guitar was literally half of a squire strat. It had about the last 3 strings and that was it. Friend sold it to me for like $3.

Lagaidh

Reaction score
RGZ-112PII-Front.jpg

This is my first guitar. 1993 RGZ-112 PII. It's a great guitar. It has a bubinga fretboard that is very fast and had decent stock pickups. It's still the guitar I use for Metallica songs :) I'd buy another in a heart beat if I could find one. List new was $339. There is one site out there where a guitar guy refinishes his RGZ-112 PII in blue with black striping ala Eddie's Frankenguitar.

TVR1977

Reaction score
Wow, this thread makes me feel kind of old!

My first guitar was a Korean (?) classical called a "Sekora" or "Sekova." 45 bucks with case, and it really wasn't too bad. The shop was more about lessons than gear, and the owner (former bass player for 1910 Fruitgum Company) was a straight shooter who actually cared about giving beginners good value and usable instruments.

My first electric was a 1969 SG Special (just like Townshend's). I bought it in
1977 - it was just an 8 year old used guitar back then. I got it and a minty late '60s Ampeg Gemini II amp. $250 hard earned bucks for both! I am so sorry I ever sold that guitar!

MRJ5

Reaction score
My first real guitar was a pre WWII Kalamazoo f hole arch top my uncle gave me. It would probably be worth some $ now if I still had it. I sold it for $10 in the mid 60's because I wanted an electric guitar. I took my $10 and added a bit more from my paper route and bought a Heathkit Harmony Rocket and Heathkit amp. Built them both and it was the beginning of my curiousity for guitars and electronics.

One of my discoveries was the role the neck had on sustain. I would lie on my bed playing and touch the headstock to my knotty pine bedroom walls and the change in sustain amazed me. I also "discovered" the tone from using a quarter for a pick. At the time I was positive I was the only one who knew that secret.

Ahh the age of innocence. I also thought my mom never looked between the mattress and box springs either.

Latest Threads