What was the reason Gibson had R9 as the first two digits in some LPs?

THDNUT

Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
There is a LP reissue at a local shop in Phoenix. It's new old stock from 2016. I had them get it down for me to look at. The serial number is R9 6XXXX.

Was this done to differentiate them from the True Historics or what. I can't remember.

mudface

Boo Bee
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
There is a LP reissue at a local shop in Phoenix. It's new old stock from 2016. I had them get it down for me to look at. The serial number is R9 6XXXX.

Was this done to differentiate them from the True Historics or what. I can't remember.
Yes.... these were actually 2014 spec models that got the R9 serial prefix to separate them from the True Historics that received the normal serial number.

And to separate them from the previous CS prefix models that had the short tenon of 2015.

The 2014 model was produced well into 2015 and continued to have 2014 serial numbers but no prefix. Originally the 2014 model would be the last long tenon model and the CS would be the runner up to the TH that would continue to have the long tenon.

That did not sit well with most consumers and the long tenon 2014 model would continue in 2016 with the R prefix.

Last edited:

jktxs

Reaction score
Yup, 2016 serial number format for 2014 spec historics. And then there were the Historic Selects with the HS serials (HS8, HS9, ...), which were basically True Historics (complete with double carve, wet sanding, rolled fingerboard binding and all) with non standard colours. Well, anything other than the three or so colours offered on THs in the beginning.

Apparently only Japan used the Historic Select programme to its fullest extent, everwhere else was like meh to the idea of THs and the price hike in the first place haha

DanD

Reaction score
There are some freaky odd HS guitars out there.

Most were done as M2M by dealers.

I don't see many up for sale but there were quite a few in '16 and '17 for sale at the usual suspects.

Latest Threads