What type of LP is this?

hanyou30

Reaction score
Hi all,

Appreciate if I could get some help to identify this LP - the type of model/colour, year, approx. price of this guitar and if it all looks relatively original. I tried using a serial number decoder, but it didn't have too much info on the actual model and I'm coming up with two dates of 1976 (Kalamazoo) and 2000 (Nashville) - so clearly I'm already doing something wrong! My dad had this hiding away in storage and wanted to give it to me, so I'll give it a nice clean with some new strings.

Thanks in advance!

kakerlak

Reaction score
That serial number would ordinarily be a 2000 guitar. There are a couple things we can see, though, that reveal this is a counterfeit instrument, the most certain of which is the presence of a scarf joint on the neck. If you look at the back of the neck, you can see the headstock and shaft of the neck are two different pieces of wood, joined at an angle that spans the first few frets.

There's nothing structurally wrong with doing that, but it's not the way Gibson constructed any of their instruments. The main manufacturing benefit to doing it is reducing wood waste and allowing for smaller wood stock to be used, which is cheaper.

It looks a little nicer than some of the very cheapest Chinese fakes, so it might be a decent guitar from a utility standpoint, but it does not really have monetary value and may be problematic to sell. Hopefully your father didn't pay a Gibson price for it!

hanyou30

Reaction score
Great thanks for letting me know! Yep, pretty sure he wouldn't have paid much for it. I had the choice between taking this one and a (real) 2005 LP Voodoo, so glad I checked before deciding :)

Thanks again!

kakerlak

Reaction score
Great thanks for letting me know! Yep, pretty sure he wouldn't have paid much for it. I had the choice between taking this one and a (real) 2005 LP Voodoo, so glad I checked before deciding :)

Thanks again!
Take the Voodoo for sure! Those are fairly rare and cool to have an ash LP.

Side Burns

#==€@)
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
When spotting a fake, like this one, I usually look right to the tune-o-matic bridge.

If it has flat-blade screw posts, it's fake.

Yea

also look at the pup ring corner.

thether thing is the scarf joint

mudface

Boo Bee
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yup,..this something you keep in storage.... for emergency use as firewood.

MP4-22

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Fake, has a scarf cut on neck

Cjsinla

Reaction score
The white serial numbers, among other things, are always a dead giveaway.

Latest Threads