What topwood on 1992 studio?

Stinky Kitty

Premium Member
Reaction score
Congratulations!!

And welcome to the early 90s zone!

In addition to the Studio, I recently scored the 92 Standard from the Member Classifieds. It is already upgraded with Slash Buckers, PIO equipped loom, and Grovers. My first Gibson is a 92 SG Standard, currently loaded with 72 T-Tops for a James Gurley vibe. It seems as resonant as a tuning fork, probably the one of the herd that tickles my hands the most while playing it.

Being well aware of the, "There is no good wood time period," it's hard to diminish that there was something special going on during these few years..

I always preferred black plastics since they seem to recede, allowing the beauty of the wood to emerge. The Studio is the first one that just seemed so elegant with creme. The wine color is so dark that it appears mostly black under stage lights.

Reactions: BKS

BKS

Reaction score
Well i am not new to early 90ties Gibson. I have a 1993 M3 but that ain't a les paul :thumb:
My customshop is 98, so 3 of my 5 Gibson are from the nineties..... Oh man 5.....having only my U2 felt like yesterday... Were do they come from :oops::oops::eek::wow:

judson

Reaction score
Congratulations!!

And welcome to the early 90s zone!

Being well aware of the, "There is no good wood time period," it's hard to diminish that there was something special going on during these few years...
i will go out on a limb here ........ when Henry bought the company in 1986, i think like most new owners with the purchase of an established company they really wanted/needed to improve the product, so it can be as simple as paying more attention to delivering a decent product... shortly after that the custom shop was split to a separate division .

as much crap as Henry gets here i think new ownership changes things and in this case the early 90's products got the benefit as the custom shop was a positive move and the run of the mill product became better...

sure some were dogs maybe but it cant just be a coincidence..... whatever the reason...they kick ass !!! :dude:

Stinky Kitty

Premium Member
Reaction score
shortly after that the custom shop was split to a separate division .
I did not know that is when it was established, thank you. That seems quite reasonalble. The best craftsmen were pulled out of general population. And the talent worthy of custom shop quality no longer touched the USA line.

:thumb:

scozz

Reaction score
I leave as is atm but i might decide to strip and refinish it in the future. I actually like the natural relic job :laugh2: :thumbs:
Just a pitty he was unable to find the cover of the bridge pickup.
View attachment 408131
Good choice, I think it looks great as is!

Congrats!

Reactions: BKS

judson

Reaction score
I did not know that is when it was established, thank you. That seems quite reasonalble. The best craftsmen were pulled out of general population. And the talent worthy of custom shop quality no longer touched the USA line.

:thumb:
here is a good article that i hope is accurate...makes sense to me

i found this when hunting for info on my VOS R8 proto

judson

Reaction score
I leave as is atm but i might decide to strip and refinish it in the future. I actually like the natural relic job :laugh2: :thumbs:
Just a pitty he was unable to find the cover of the bridge pickup.
View attachment 408131
maybe pull off the other pup cover for now and play the hell out of it ....as it sits its a player no doubt...enjoy it!

Stinky Kitty

Premium Member
Reaction score
here is a good article that i hope is accurate...makes sense to me

i found this when hunting for info on my VOS R8 proto

Yea, I saw that gorgeous artwork.. my 05 R8 WCSB Gloss is a very near twin!

Scampering off for a good read..

Last edited: