What to Purchase for Myself

rjwilson37

Reaction score
I have pretty much just purchased Les Paul's the past few years, that and an EVH/Charvel that I just never played much thinking I wanted a Floyd Rose to dive bomb and such with.

I just want to pick up something to keep over at my Fiancee's so that I have something to jam on with my Boss Katana Amp. I am leaving for Guitar Center in a couple of hours to try out some guitars for hopefully under $1000 and will get what ever feels best to me. You know how you know when you pickup a guitar that feels/plays great and just kind of speaks out to you. I hope I find one of those, since I am not really looking at any particular brand or model, just whatever jumps out at me to try.

Last edited:

dmac in SC

Platinum Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I ran up on one of these last week on Craigslist, used but literally never played...and significantly cheaper than the ebay listing below

https://www.ebay.com/p/G-L-Limited-Edition-Tribute-ASAT-Classic-Electric-Guitar-Olympic-White/13019704701?iid=163330521609&chn=

Here's a pic of mine...Don't the the made in Indonesia stamp on the back of the head stock discourage you...this thing is a FAR better guitar than any of the new Fenders I tested out at GC ( in my opinion, of course). Took a little while to get used to the satin finish on the neck, but the fret board is super flat, and I can play 11 ga strings at low action without a single buzz anywhere, and the Alnico pickups are bright, loud and surprisingly noiseless. I actually feel like I stole it.
tele.jpg

Attachments

Last edited:

Les Paul John

Banned
Reaction score
I ran up on one of these last week on Craigslist, used but literally never played...and significantly cheaper than the ebay listing below

https://www.ebay.com/p/G-L-Limited-Edition-Tribute-ASAT-Classic-Electric-Guitar-Olympic-White/13019704701?iid=163330521609&chn=

Here's a pic of mine...Don't the the made in Indonesia stamp on the back of the head stock discourage you...this thing is a FAR better guitar than any of the new Fenders I tested out at GC ( in my opinion, of course). Took a little while to get used to the satin finish on the neck, but the fret board is super flat, and I can play 11 ga strings at low action without a single buzz anywhere, and the Alnico pickups are bright, loud and surprisingly noiseless. I actually feel like I stole it. View attachment 350982

I've been impressed with the guitars we've gotten from Indonesia, good quality control and you won't have fret level issues .... they're perfect thus far for us. The last one I got was a Jackson Soloist sl3x which is beyond perfect. They also make some Fender Squiers there.

Roxy13

Reaction score

Here's a pic of mine...Don't the the made in Indonesia stamp on the back of the head stock discourage you...this thing is a FAR better guitar than any of the new Fenders I tested out at GC ( in my opinion, of course). Took a little while to get used to the satin finish on the neck, but the fret board is super flat, and I can play 11 ga strings at low action without a single buzz anywhere, and the Alnico pickups are bright, loud and surprisingly noiseless. I actually feel like I stole it. View attachment 350982
I second trying out the G&L Tribute series if you are looking for a strat or tele. I have a Legacy and I found it won between these Indonesian built guitars (with USA pickups) and the MIM Fenders. Of course YMMV.

Also check out the Gretsch Electromatics if you want a semi hollow or hollow body.

Rob the Photog

Reaction score
My suggestion is the Gretsch 2655 Streamliner Center Block Junior Double Cutaway. They make them with either a Bigsby or a stop-tail. I wasn't specifically looking at hollow-bodies or semi-hollows, but on a whim I tried a couple of Epiphones (a Dot and a Wildkat, I think) and they had fret sprout and just sounded dead. Then I tried a Gretsch 2655T, and it played and sounded so good that I immediately went and plugged it in! The pickups are pretty aggressive for a Gretsch, in my opinion, and it has a great bite to it. Even though it's advertised as having a "thin U" neck shape, I thought it was quite beefy, which is my preference. There's nothing fancy about it, it just feels like a solid rock machine. It's on my short list for new gear, someday when I can actually afford new gear. :fingersx::drool: For what it's worth, I tried it through a Boss Katana Mini, which is also on my short list (so I can still plug in and not wake the baby). Sounded pretty good for such a tiny amp!

https://www.guitarcenter.com/Gretsch-Guitars/G2655-Streamliner-Center-Block-Junior-Double-Cutaway.gc
https://www.guitarcenter.com/Gretsch-Guitars/G2655T-Streamliner-Center-Block-Junior-Double-Cutaway-with-Bigsby.gc

Good luck with the gear hunt!

rjwilson37

Reaction score
Good Morning All!

So I tried a few Strat's and Tele's as well as a couple of Gretsch's and Epiphones. I did not see any PRS that caught my eye and GC was actually kind of picked out a little bit, not as much choice as usual maybe with the Christmas sales and such. I did like the Gretsch Electromatic Pro Jet a lot, that has a chambered body very light weight and had a really nice feel to it as well as that tone with a bit of chime. The one I liked most was used for $369, but it did sound a bit muffled and dead and not like old strings that have been on there forever, just like maybe something was not exactly right with it. It definitely played really nice though and sounded good with the exception that chords did not ring out as long as they should which goes back to what I said above. Plus the color was a gold top and I just am not much for gold top guitars. I might order the one just like it in the red\white if I go that route. I had to leave and get over to my Fiancee's, but will probably stop by again today when I leave her place and play a couple more, maybe the ones people listed above.

Thanks for you input, it is very much appreciated, and if anyone knows anything about the Gretsch Pro Jet's and has some good input, please chime in (Pun intended, haha).

Last edited:

Rob the Photog

Reaction score
Thanks for your input Rob, I was playing this one in Gold at GC and liked it a lot, but really like this Red\White one with gold accents.

https://www.guitarcenter.com/Gretsch-Guitars/FSR-Two-Tone-Electromatic-Pro-Jet-with-Bigsby-Electric-Guitar.gc
Very nice! "Dat's purdy," as my dad would have said. Red and gold don't do it for me, personally, but that's a classic color combo, to be sure! Having said that, I absolutely fell in love with this beauty that I found online last night:

https://www.musicgoround.com/product/41117-S000010649/used-gibson-les-paul-studio-electric-guitar-red

I'm looking forward to seeing what you decide upon. Also, congratulations on your engagement!

rjwilson37

Reaction score
Very nice, that looks like a deluxe to me with that top and the exposed natural wood binding.

rjwilson37

Reaction score
I liked playing the PRS Tremonte, but it was a bit to touchy fretting low since I have kind of heavy fingers. I played that one Electromatic Streamliner, but it was a bit to light in the body with a heavy neck and had a hard time staying in tune when you use the Bigsby. I played a few others from Charvel, LTD, Epiphone, Gibson and a couple of PRS without finding the one yet. They did not have any G&L hanging around to give a try, plenty of Fenders but I don't want a Strat or a Tele.

Les Paul John

Banned
Reaction score

rjwilson37

Reaction score
Ok, So I ended up picking up a Gretsch G5230T Electromatic Jet FT in Firebird Red for just under $500. I played quite a few guitars, even a used Les Paul Custom that was very sweet but definitely priced more than I wanted to spend.

Latest Threads