What to look for in a £700 MIJ

tom .p.

Reaction score
I've posted a thread in the classifieds area about buying a MIJ les Paul for £700. I've had a few guitars offered to me - all of them are differant brands. I was hoping a few of the more knowledgeable guys on here (UITA,Udo etc. etc.) could help me out by saying if theres a particular brand that stands out amongst the rest or a certain era?

I've heard that Burny's are brilliant guitars for what you pay - but what would you guys be looking for in a MIJ with that budget.

If it helps I'm after a early 70's Gibson tone.

Kemper59

Reaction score
Look for MADE IN JAPAN on the back of the headstock.

SingeMonkey

Reaction score
Was it you who wanted a '70s LP Custom type?

Because I've subsequently discovered that quite a few early grecos had all those features - including the neck volute - and should get you right there.

tom .p.

Reaction score
Brilliant thanks for letting me know.

Could I pick up an early Greco for my budget though or are the early ones considered rare?

tom .p.

Reaction score
and the helpful advice continues to flow ...

I chose to ignore it but it's good to know other forum members find daft posts like that annoying.

I'm 17 so £700 is quite a large sum for me to be dishing out on a guitar. I'm serious about playing so serious answers would be appreciated :thumb:

captain von rat

Reaction score
early 80's Greco's are pretty easy to find - there are 2 on ebay australia right now - one is $500 & the other is $750 - super cheap ...

L60N

Reaction score
Solid body, thick cap, long tenon, Decent pots, wiring, decent tuners, pups, favourable top, accomodating neck (to the player) etc etc.

vintageJIM

Banned
Reaction score
I've posted a thread in the classifieds area about buying a MIJ les Paul for £700. I've had a few guitars offered to me - all of them are differant brands. I was hoping a few of the more knowledgeable guys on here (UITA,Udo etc. etc.) could help me out by saying if theres a particular brand that stands out amongst the rest or a certain era?

I've heard that Burny's are brilliant guitars for what you pay - but what would you guys be looking for in a MIJ with that budget.

If it helps I'm after a early 70's Gibson tone.

F that's the case, you should buy a Norlin era abomination; plenty of folks around here could prolly fix U right up ............

tom .p.

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies.

What are the pickups like in grecos as a general rule? I'm quite happy to have a guitar thats not exactly the same specs as a 70's Gibson so long as it sounds good.

Are there any websites other than here and ebay I should be browsing for a nice guitar?

UITA

Reaction score
Tom my offer still stands, jump on the train (stops 5 mins from me) and come and try all I have. I may just be tempted to let one go. It's too hard to tell you what sounds good or not, you've got 17 year old ears, mine have been infront of Marshall stack for 17 years.

GammyBird

Reaction score
Tom my offer still stands, jump on the train (stops 5 mins from me) and come and try all I have. I may just be tempted to let one go. It's too hard to tell you what sounds good or not, you've got 17 year old ears, mine have been infront of Marshall stack for 17 years.

Good advice. This is the only true way to find what you're looking for....to actually pick one up and play it!!!

tom .p.

Reaction score
UITA - I was tempted to email you yesterday to see if you'd consider selling any of yours. At the moment it will be hard for me to get down there as I've got quite abit to do with work and getting ready for a holiday before going back to school.

Would you have any within my new budget? And also I've been curious since the "My other guitar is a...." thread began - how many guitars do you own currently?

Stonesy

Reaction score

Egads! Go to UITAs house boy!

mono

Reaction score
Go to UITAs and get a taste. I got my Burny before playing any other MiJs and while I am glad I own it, playing some ObGs and Orvilles at barburny's house really did give me a bit of an education...

snaredrum

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
i got two MIJ epis and then a Burny from the late '80s, and they are all wonderful guitars. for £700 i'm sure you could pick up something fantastic. i recommend '80s Burnys, obviously :D

snaredrum

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
now, to answer the question (or struggle to attempt to, anyway)

for £700, you can get a long tenon, possibly a solid top (plain) or a veneer flame maple top - ignore the veneer police around here, veneers are fine unless you live in minnesota or somwhere, or plan to use your guitar to shovel snow and then stick it in the oven directly afterwards...

tonebone

Reaction score
HOLY CRAP.

Go to UITA's house already!

You don't get offers like that everyday. I think theres only one other guy that has as many MIJ's, and he lives in California.

You will never get a better chance to try out some outstanding MIJ Les Paul goodness. I suggest you hurry, school starts soon and UITA may not have the time later.

(and don't leave without trying out the Burnys' . . . hehehehe . . . )

Latest Threads