What to do with this pickguard ?

BKS

Reaction score
So i have this... I like the body color even tho i ended up doing it darker than i first wanted. Body is not the issue, the pickguard is. It has a zebrano fineer and i had hoped to get a nice dark color still showing tge lines, but those just gone. Oh well, still nice but i am struggling with color to go with the body without making it disapear. Being veneer i can't keep trowing on color and sand off. I would end up with the rosewood back. So i am looking for ideas. Body has first layers of tru oil on, guard is sanded down (again).

DSC_3147_compress66.jpg
DSC_3148_compress67.jpg

One option i was thinking of is stain it the same chocolate color used on the body or just black with maybe a contrasting grainfiller... But that might look a little over the top....

truckermde

Reaction score
I like your final suggestion of dark chocolate, or even black. Not the contrasting grain filler, though.

As it is. it competes with the top too much, IMHO.

BKS

Reaction score
True, was thinking so too. It looked nice before staining the top as figure did not show much. So i might go chocolate, could always go black. Chocolate is already pretty dark. Could use a black grainfiller? Perhaps opt for a more matte finish on the pickguard?

BKS

Reaction score
Well it is black with some hints of brown/red in it. Looks nice but.... As it is a very thin veneer using waterbased stain made it bubble...
Probably going to leave as is for the moment, sand the veneer off in the future and maybe put some rosewood veneer on. The backing wood is rosewood but 2 pieces glued together. My flame maple veneer are smaller sheets and might be to much anyway. Walnut maybe?

Picture of body in daylight after 2coats of oil and an attempt of selfdestruct....
DSC_3154_compress71.jpg

Pickguard as is now...
DSC_3156_compress84.jpg

BKS

Reaction score
DSC_3168_compress93.jpg

3 of 6 options i have for new veneer. The other 3 options i think might not be the best option (quilt maple, walnut but not figured as those little pieces, lighter colored rosewood)

BKS

Reaction score
I can't use it as is. Veneer on it is bubbling, does not show on picture but it is pretty awefull looking. Just sticks out to me.

CB91710

Premium Member
Reaction score
I can't use it as is. Veneer on it is bubbling, does not show on picture but it is pretty awefull looking. Just sticks out to me.
The PG or the body? :eek:

Reactions: BKS

BKS

Reaction score
Pickguard, body is a solid flame maple top, no veneer.

Latest Threads