What to do with my headstock. VOTE!

IceGator8

Reaction score
I took a little time off my build. I've had the holly for quite some time so I decided to put the veneer on the peghead. It's 3/32" thick.

DSC01016.jpg

When I had it on I noticed that one of the corners was out of wack. I guess someone passing through the garage must have dropped the neck or something. The damage wasn't noticable until the veneer was glued on. Notice how the corner on the left side is off:
DSC01017.jpg

Needless to say this ticked me off pretty bad.

When I regained my sanity I thought that maybe the damage could be a good thing. I never really wanted to do a direct replica of the open book headstock. The problem was I really couldn't dream up a decent alternative design.

I decided I had two choices:

1. Sand off the veneer, saw off that particular wing, glue on another mahogany veneer, glue on another veneer, and then reshape that side of the headstock.

2. Come up with a different headstock shape and leave the veneer on.

I'm leaning towards #2.

I started doodling tonight and came up with a few possibilities that would be easy to achieve. Some of them are a bit ESP like but not as aggressive. Please tell me which one you like.

1. slightly asymmetrical
DSC01011.jpg

2. different but symmetrical
DSC01012.jpg

3. Starting to get into the ESP shapes
DSC01013.jpg

4. More aggressive ESP shape
DSC01014.jpg

5. Most agressive of the ESP type shapes
DSC01015.jpg

I like 1 and 5 the best. I'd love to hear your opinions.

diceman

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score

Make it a little more "drastic," though - so it doesn't just look like you slipped or something!

Ole'Lefty

Reaction score
First, I would use a scraper and restore the original shape- and adjust very carefully on the other side to match. I really think it would be subtle enough to not bother the eye. The curve in the sides gives you some room to move.ole'lefty

voices

Reaction score
first, i would use a scraper and restore the original shape- and adjust very carefully on the other side to match. I really think it would be subtle enough to not bother the eye. The curve in the sides gives you some room to move.ole'lefty

+1

V!N

Reaction score
Replacing the wing isn't such a bad idea. you've worked so hard on getting this right, it would be a shame if it were to look like an entry level copy from the Orient.

But if you really want to go with a different shape, may I be so bold to suggest a 6th option for a new shape ? :)

You could it like you wanted in the first place and then when it's done, make it look like it was accidental wear from playing. Some of my headstocks have had some nasty encounters with low ceilings in dressing rooms or the narrow hallways to the stage.

CARNAGE222

Reaction score
If it were me, just my opinion, I'd want it to look like an open book headstock. I know it would bother me in the long run. I hate to say it, because of your time and energy already spent, but I'd replace the wing and re-veneer. Whatever way you decide to go, Good luck!

GooCart

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
What if you just rotate the long arch to the closest clean point on the mustache and make it symmetrical.
If not I vote for sanding of the veneer and fix the wing.

Attachments

• headstock.jpg
    headstock.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 53

IceGator8

Reaction score
why not do an epi headstock?

Because I despise the epi headstock. lol This guitar has had way too much blood and sweat put into it for me to ultimately have it mistaken for an epi. I actually like the old school epi headstocks.

IceGator8

Reaction score
There are good suggestions here. Ol' Lefty and Magnus had interesting ideas. My only reservation about just scraping the flaw out and sanding the other side to match is that it just will not look quite right. My next build is going to be a straight up '59 with one of Magnus's tops and an open book headstock. For this reason something different on this build appeals to me.

Jared Evans

Reaction score
You could do something that mirrors the contours of the single cutaway. Kind of like this, but you'll have to excuse my poor editing skills... lack of skills.

lunapic-123802064717449.jpg

aesthetically pleasing when you see it with the rest of the guitar

my two cents
- Jared

GooCart

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
If you want something different, how about a Melody Maker headstock? I think they are ultra cool.

Skynyrdpicker

Reaction score
This is done with paint, but here's my personal suggestion (but then again, what does I say matter? it's your build! :laugh2:)

This is done quickly in paint, so it's not perfect, but I'd say cut the corners out, and keep the open book, kinda like this:
dsc01011z.jpg

Not better than the Gibson shape, but to me, it's a lot better than just going ESP on your guitar's ass! :D

SiriusAbbott

Reaction score
I am of the mind that any shortcuts taken now,design-wise,quality-wise,will bother the builder greatly in the future....i vote for a sand down and a repair :dude:

Mongrel

Reaction score
I vote for original, I think in the future you would regret not doing so.

Latest Threads