What to do when your guitar solo is too long and not going anywhere...

Spiteface

Reaction score
Who needs "solos" when you can just sound like a fucking jet engine, mid-song?

dspelman

Reaction score
There is something alluring about a woman dressed in black leather who looks like she could have been a guest at Berchtesgaden.

When Robert Palmer came out with those vids, I heard a rumor those were guy crossdressers. Frankly I can't tell, they sure look like chicks to me.
One of them is a makeup artist who was pressed into service when they needed a "bass player." We worked with her, so she told us stories.They didn't actually have a bass, but they liked the way hers bounced, so they handed her...whatever.

Dolebludger

Reaction score
Mikey,

Maybe it is because I have been too lazy over the last 59 years of trying to play to learn many complex scales or positions, but it seems that if I return to some modified pentatonic in the root chord, I can “get out of the weeds”.particularly if I slow down. And to stay out of the weeds, I try to solo in scale positions that are familiar to me, and slow down and keep it melodic. That way, my fingers don’t outrun what is left of my brain.

MikeyTheCat

Reaction score
Mikey,

Maybe it is because I have been too lazy over the last 59 years of trying to play to learn many complex scales or positions, but it seems that if I return to some modified pentatonic in the root chord, I can “get out of the weeds”.particularly if I slow down. And to stay out of the weeds, I try to solo in scale positions that are familiar to me, and slow down and keep it melodic. That way, my fingers don’t outrun what is left of my brain.
Sometimes I liked to go for something off the cuff that was over my head. Getting back would have been easy but sometimes you're trying to impress the other players and keep digging that hole. The joy of playing with guys who have a Jazz background.

ehb

Chief Discombobulator
Premium Member
Reaction score
I tried to stick to the song structure and usually had a tail lick....

Too much thinking for long and winding solos...

Like Joe's No Service Gas Station and Oyster Bar restroom.....get in, git er done and get out....and hope nobody got injured....

Tone deaf

Reaction score
The guitar work in this song kinda blows. However, given that they are responsible for the guitar tones (hard to achieve at less than 10 on the volume knob) in "Radar Love,"* I am willing to cut them some slack.

*Gotta have both ears engaged to hear this one (especially the left channel).

MikeyTheCat

Reaction score
The guitar work in this song kinda blows. However, given that they are responsible for the guitar tones (hard to achieve at less than 10 on the volume knob) in "Radar Love,"* I am willing to cut them some slack.

*Gotta have both ears engaged to hear this one (especially the left channel).
It kills me that I really like Radar Love and Twilight Zone but Kooymans couldn't come up with a good concise solo for either.

But I guess long solos were just his thing, though he seems to suffer from the same malady that I did, not knowing enough to make them really interesting or when you've played enough. But they sure did have some good songs.

Latest Threads