What This Section Needs...

Uncle Vinnie

Proud Boomer
Premium Member
Reaction score
@PierM.
Oh man! I have to see the head stock. Tell me it has waffle back tuners please.

DanD

Reaction score
As soon as I saw the first pic I had to check for the snakebite to see if it was a Krieger or a vintage '54.

The dings kind of led me to believe Krieger but even at that I think Custom did some excellent aging on that run. Very realistic.

Your aged staple and waffle backs are just icing on the cake. Congrats on a great axe!

DanD

Reaction score
It's actually more correct now. At least for the guitar as it was used by Robby in the Doors.

The Duncan mini came much later.

PierM

Reaction score
YES!!! Took a Krieger model and made it into an R4 ... I think we discussed that in earlier threads, no?

Beautiful job.

How is the neck thickness?
Well, Krieger turned a 54 into the modded version Gibson did with that guitar, but was 100% a 54....so the goodness of this revert I did, is that (since it's a 54) was 100% compatible with the base instrument, so no destructive changes have been made. I just swapped the mods Krieger did, and installed correct parts, plus some more correct plastics like pickguard and TRC. You can find many RK in the market, converted from Gibson itself, into stock 54. Probably guitars they didn't manage to distribute. Those are mostly VOS no aged versions tho.

The neck it's scanned from the original, and it's ~.900" at first fret and ~.990" at 12th fret, with a nice taper. Full in the hands but not really a baseball bat (which himo always been a myth for these guitars), like for example my 2009 '57, which is like a section of a light pole, lol.

Steveybop

Reaction score
My little collection, with a couple of stragglers thrown in there...

Latest Threads