What the difference between Custom and Historic?

InkedLester

Drippin with Blues Blood
Reaction score
Just curious what is the real difference between a Custom and a Historic? Also a VOS? I know the historics are made in the custom shop, but not labeled per se as a custom. I'm new to this world since just recently getting an R7 which I'm loving, but I'm trying to figure all the insider info out. Thanks!

SKATTERBRANE

Banned
Reaction score
All VOS are Historics, all Historics are Custom Shop Les Pauls. Not all Custom Shop Les Pauls are Historics, and not all Historics are VOS (thank GOD!!) VOS is a hidden price increase, much like making a candy bar slightly smaller without increasing the price at point of sale.

cmcgov

Reaction score
This question has been asked MANY, MANY times.
It should be incorporated into a sticky!! lol

All VOS are Historics, all Historics are Custom Shop Les Pauls. Not all Custom Shop Les Pauls are Historics, and not all Historics are VOS (thank GOD!!) VOS is a hidden price increase, much like making a candy bar slightly smaller without increasing the price at point of sale.
Does this represent everything appropriately?
gibsonfamilytreechart.jpg

Nice question Inkedlester, you have me wanting to know specifically the differences as well. I guess that the Historic line seems to parallel the production line like USA Gibsons, but with a different goal of the guitars, one moving forward with the times and the other trying to recapture the past. The Custom guitars must be made to specific order, wood choice, color, or something different than the production historic and usa guitars to have it as a separate entity. That's what I've just thought about it and what would make sense to me. Where would sig models and aged by tom murphy and limited edition signed guitars be? Does the USA side of gibson have many branches? How far would this go before ending up at epiphone guitars. I haven't any idea of that's how it goes and its CRAZY! haha but my chart is a guess with what i assume to be my own logic and the info skatter provided. Again great thread, thanks.

Dr.Distortion

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
There are also "artist relation" guitars made by the custom shop. I had an Epiphone LP Specal that was made for >The Presidents Of The United States< that was from the Custom Shop.

cmcgov

Reaction score
There are also "artist relation" guitars made by the custom shop. I had an Epiphone LP Specal that was made for >The Presidents Of The United States< that was from the Custom Shop.
Haha! Wow I've never heard of that. Presidents of the US guitar. That's jokes mate, gonna have to google that one.

shesrealfine

Reaction score

So let me see if I get this. An average VOS, say an R8 for example, is about $300.00 retail less than a gloss. That would translate into around $150.00 dealer cost, i.e, what Gibson sells the unit for.

So you're saying that Gibson is making a killing by forgoing the final polishing, not to mention adding back in whatever it takes to age the hardware-all for a buck-fiddy?

I think VOS represents a great deal for the consumer, especially considering how easy it is to do the final polish work for anyone so inclined. Heck, it's really hard not to polish it up accidentally even if you aren't trying.

I don't think VOS is exactly fattening up Henry's 401K...

Dr.Distortion

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Haha! Wow I've never heard of that. Presidents of the US guitar. That's jokes mate, gonna have to google that one.

The Band... The Presidents of the United States (of America)
The case had POTUS stencled on it...

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SB2vMwvqIyk]&#x202a;Lump - The Presidents of the United States of America&#x202c;&rlm; - YouTube[/ame]

Mid '90's Seattle band. Played at the OK Hotel 2 blockes away from where I worked every Friday Night...

cmcgov

Reaction score
Unfortunatly no... They are made for sponsored artists... You couls pay to have one made, a true custom.... BIG $$$
Not something I'm interested in. Sounds like a pretty special guitar to have around though. The amount of specialty work pushed out by the custom shop is pretty amazing.

Robert Arthur

Reaction score
How does one go about getting a truly Custom Guitar from Gibson? I called them about it, and they did not seem interested and proferred no useful information.

InkedLester

Drippin with Blues Blood
Reaction score
http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/gibson-les-pauls/50210-gibson-les-paul-101-a.html

What surprises me is you probably blew $3,500 on that blue guitar before asking this question. :shock:

Actually I had already read that thread several times in the past. I was just looking for some real hands on info from folks who already own both. Oh, and the guitar is green. And awesome I must add. Best feeling and playing LP I've owned or played and I've owned and played many. It fits me like it was made for me. I think any others I buy will have to have the body/neck that the 57R have!

Reaction score
How does one go about getting a truly Custom Guitar from Gibson? I called them about it, and they did not seem interested and proferred no useful information.

Go to a luthier. If you have the cash he/she will build one for you with much better quality than a Gibson, but look identical.

jamman

Reaction score

That's easy, just go to a Gibson Dealer you know, Like Sam Ash , GC . Spec out what you want the guitar to be and than have the store order It. They will get back to you wth a price for your approvel , If it's good for you, Pay a deposit and wait. When it's done pay the balance and It will be shipped to the store you ordered it from. :thumb::thumb::thumb:

Latest Threads