what strings do you use?

LJGriggs

Reaction score
I've used a wide variety of strings over the years, but right now I have Gibson Vintage 10's on my LP. They seem to hold tune better than other strings and they have a very nice ringing tone. "Santa" put three sets in my stocking, so I think I'll be using these for a while. They sound so good when new I may just stick with them if they hold up over the long haul...

3dmac

Reaction score
OE Les Paul Vintages only !
Slinky's are stinky if you want a strat sound out of your LP.
If I wanted that I would of bought a fender (ouch, bad word here )

Flame ON !

stryker59

Reaction score
i have used em all but i really like d'addarios 10-46 xl's

gravmy0

Reaction score
i've tried Ernie Ball Slinkys and Gibson Vintage Reissues 10-46

I'm leaning towards the Gibsons even though they're a bit more expensive

treddingjr

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
SIT 10-46 most of the time and GHS Fatties 10-47 occasionally.

coldsteal2

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I'm a new guy in the house. Happy Holiday's to all.
I've been doing the string thing for several months now. I needed to change from Snake Oils, 10-46 to something else. I loved the sound and feel of SO's but had a problem. I'm a bluesman and like P90's. I play a Historic '54 Chambered Reissue LP. On some sets of SO's I ordered I found the windings at the ball end of the E-B-G strings came up really far up the string. Because of the extra wire it didn't allow the string to seat very well on the wrapover tailpiece. I tried tons of strings, I tried double balling but Gibson's VR10's did the job, great feel and sound. :applause:

WELCOME TO THE FORUM!!!

yea love those P90's, they have such great attack

Spicoli

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
10-45 Power Brights

6yug94w.jpg

bobb6k34

Reaction score
forgive me if i seem a bit forward, but i would suggest against the stainless steel strings. I've read articles that have said that stainless steel strings will wear out your frets faster...wouldn't want that to happen, especially to a lp. ...just my 2 cents.

your rite thay do wear out the frets more than the nickel typ strings my mums bf got me into them tho and i love the tone thay put out.... hes been useing them all his life ( hes been playing for around 30 years) and the fender strat he gigs with he has had for that 30 years and its still going hard frats are fine alltho it is its second neck he allso uses them on his bb king lucille and his ES-335 and the 10 or so fenders he has.

Sabatini

Reaction score
GHS Boomers, or Gibson, or Whatever

important thing is to use a guage that doesnt "flop" when you hit a open E chord, for me and my big right hand i use 11s, on a Les Paul , and with the reduced scale length it is just as playable as a strat with 9's. I took me a long time to realise how good an open E sounds on a Les Paul with the right string guage.

lp59aholicDon

V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
forgive me if i seem a bit forward, but i would suggest against the stainless steel strings. I've read articles that have said that stainless steel strings will wear out your frets faster...wouldn't want that to happen, especially to a lp. ...just my 2 cents.

She is a pretty bright young lady, Good warning
DR Pure Blues 11,s and or Gibson Pure Nickle 11's in my Les Pauls
GHS Heavyweights on my Strats ( 10-60) I like those firm middles and heavy bottom ends :naughty::D

classic

Reaction score
I wonder what the differences are between the DR Blue, Green and Red ... concerning playability or sound ???

Besides the color ... of course ... :naughty:

Can somebody enlighten me ??? :confused:

lp59aholicDon

V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I wonder what the differences are between the DR Blue, Green and Red ... concerning playability or sound ???

Besides the color ... of course ... :naughty:

Can somebody enlighten me ??? :confused:

DR Blues , Are Pure nickel Strings, some of the others are just nickel plated or stainess or other steel offerings, which some are coated with poly

Reaction score
I use Elixir 10's, their amazing, they never corode at all, the longest i used a set was 4 months, never coroded for me. Just to show how sick they are:)

diceman

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I use Elixir 10's, their amazing, they never corode at all, the longest i used a set was 4 months, never coroded for me. Just to show how sick they are:)

As do I. I'm lazy! :) I also get a good 4 months out of a set, so they end up being a little more economical in the long run for me (as I said, I'm a lazy dude that doesn't wipe down his strings very often!) I hate having corroded black strings...

classic

Reaction score
I hate having corroded black strings...

BTW - this just happened ( 3 times successively ) with Fender strings for my Strat right off the box ...
As I use to have some sets in reserve and I don't remember where they came from there's no chance to send them back ...
Anyone has made the same experience ???

Latest Threads