what strings do you use?

guitarguru

Reaction score
i use the ernie ball custom gauge with nickel wound

what do you use?

single cut 54

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I use D'addario 10 to 46, unless I can get a better deal on some Ernie Balls.

coldsteal2

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Dean Markley Blue Steel 9's
deanmarkley_bluesteel.jpg

On Bass, Rotosound SM665 Swingbass-66' 40-125's
632866092719951322.jpg

Gigan

Reaction score
DR blues for my LP
for my acoustic I'm still figuring that out, any suggestions?

Hemani Co

Reaction score
I always experiment with string combinations and tend to use more of the heavy side - the heavier the more definition and better tonality (in my opinion anyway).
14, 14, 18p, 28, 38, 48.
I like the way the heavy e string gives a unmatched definition and a contrast to the rest went playing. It is a pain to bend, especially with my miniscule fingers, but I love the challenge. I also found a pleasant surprise that no one so far who picked it up could play more than a few notes without a look of disgust. It's always funny to watch their expressions.
Anyway, usually I would opt for 11s on Les Pauls. I just love the girth that come with thicker strings. I just can't seem to fall back on anything under 10s. Too delicate. But everyone has preferences.

basschick22

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
on my electrics i usually use the Ernie Ball regular slinky 10's, the RPS 10's, or the new GHS Signature Santana 10.5's.

my jumbo Takamine ac/el. wears the D'Addario EXP (lights).

...and my basses wear Ernie Ball Hybrid Slinky (the orange set).

...and my upright wears the D'Addario Helicore strings.

.....think that just about covers it. :thumb:

bobb6k34

Reaction score
I use fender stainless steal 9's on my old marina concord. and as i only just got my 1st les paul its only got Ernie Ball 10's on it atm i will ether keep it with 10's and order a new box of stainless 10's when my mate orders his box or go back to 9's im on the fence a little but stainless steal FTW

basschick22

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I use fender stainless steal 9's on my old marina concord. and as i only just got my 1st les paul its only got Ernie Ball 10's on it atm i will ether keep it with 10's and order a new box of stainless 10's when my mate orders his box or go back to 9's im on the fence a little but stainless steal FTW

forgive me if i seem a bit forward, but i would suggest against the stainless steel strings. I've read articles that have said that stainless steel strings will wear out your frets faster...wouldn't want that to happen, especially to a lp. ...just my 2 cents.

classic

Reaction score
On my LPs 10s Snake Oil 'Nickel' but soon I will also give the DR a try ( red and green ) ... on my Strat Fender Bullets 'Pure Nickel' ... :fingersx:

mrkenny

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I'm a new guy in the house. Happy Holiday's to all.
I've been doing the string thing for several months now. I needed to change from Snake Oils, 10-46 to something else. I loved the sound and feel of SO's but had a problem. I'm a bluesman and like P90's. I play a Historic '54 Chambered Reissue LP. On some sets of SO's I ordered I found the windings at the ball end of the E-B-G strings came up really far up the string. Because of the extra wire it didn't allow the string to seat very well on the wrapover tailpiece. I tried tons of strings, I tried double balling but Gibson's VR10's did the job, great feel and sound. :applause:

Latest Threads