What strings do you use and why?

goodvibes

Reaction score
It is good to revist a question like this. Some change preferences or have new obsevations to note. I did.

Agreed. I just thought that survey might help in some way. There are so many brands out there now, so many types; pure nickel, nickel wound, round core, hex core, coated, etc. My biggest issue is that I can't find strings that don't corrode quickly if I don't play the guitar a lot. I've had to start wiping them with a cloth and a little WD-40. I have been using GHS burnished nickel rockers and they are the best feeling strings I've come across. They sound great to me but the tone/ sound thing is subjective anyway.

Ninja1195

Reaction score
D'adarrio EJ22 13-56 on all my electrics (30 plus) save for two vintage Stratocasters which are strung up with 12-54's

All guitars are tuned down 1/2 step BTW.

D'addario strings just seem to last and sound fresh from the get go! Easy to stretch and tune (unlike other brands I have tried) and so consistent too!

I buy them in bulk ( 10 packs) and must have close to 50 fresh packs as we speak.

Dunlop metal picks too is key to my tone. ;)

barsinister

Reaction score
.056-.044.034-022plain-.017.013-on all les pauls-es-firebirds-teles-jrs etc--standard tuning its heavy but it sure sounds good!

NorlinBlackBeauty

Reaction score
Agreed. I just thought that survey might help in some way. There are so many brands out there now, so many types; pure nickel, nickel wound, round core, hex core, coated, etc. My biggest issue is that I can't find strings that don't corrode quickly if I don't play the guitar a lot. I've had to start wiping them with a cloth and a little WD-40. I have been using GHS burnished nickel rockers and they are the best feeling strings I've come across. They sound great to me but the tone/ sound thing is subjective anyway.

Corrosion seems to be a problem for many. I'm fortunate in that regard, my hand oils / goo / whatever do not seem to be acidic. I am still rather OCD in my post play wipe routine. Have you tried mineral oil in place of the WD40?

Martin has "Lifespan" treated acoustic strings that do not employ a plastic coating, rather a chemical treatment of some sort. I use them on my 12 string. They stay brighter looking longer than the D'Addario phosphor bronze stings I prefer on my 6 string.

goodvibes

Reaction score
Corrosion seems to be a problem for many. I'm fortunate in that regard, my hand oils / goo / whatever do not seem to be acidic. I am still rather OCD in my post play wipe routine. Have you tried mineral oil in place of the WD40?

Martin has "Lifespan" treated acoustic strings that do not employ a plastic coating, rather a chemical treatment of some sort. I use them on my 12 string. They stay brighter looking longer than the D'Addario phosphor bronze stings I prefer on my 6 string.

I have used "fast fret" which I' think is mineral oil. Still got black spots all over strings. I tried fret dr which I would wipe down the strings with after treating the fret board. I think the best result was wd-40 but use only a very small amount on a lint free cloth. I use Martin Lifespan and absolutely love them!

NorlinBlackBeauty

Reaction score
I have used "fast fret" which I' think is mineral oil. Still got black spots all over strings. I tried fret dr which I would wipe down the strings with after treating the fret board. I think the best result was wd-40 but use only a very small amount on a lint free cloth. I use Martin Lifespan and absolutely love them!

Wow, you do have it bad corrosion-wise. Do the Lifespans hold up well for you?

goodvibes

Reaction score
Yes the lifespans last. I use them.on all my acoustics and so far I have no corrosion issues .

For all you EB Slinky users, could someone please define the term "Slinky":hmm::wtf:

GySgtFTL

Reaction score
Ernie Ball regular slinky .010 - .046 on my Les Paul. Nines on Strat and Tele.

GT08

Reaction score
ROTOSOUND the best strings I have ever used.
11's on the Les Paul.
10's on the Strat.

BKS

Reaction score
Never used rotosound on guitar but they are my nr 1 for bass. Tho my next set for it is a cheap ghs flatwound 5 string set. Try them when i need new strings on my bass in a year or some...

RocketKing

Reaction score
Ernie ball 0.10 slinky.
I started out with those then tried elixir and Gibson. But going back to ernie ball.
My trad had 0.9 as standard, used them for a while but felt too thin. I used to play 0.13 on my acoustic, so 0.10 is just about as thin as I will go.
They tick all the boxes.

Latest Threads