11-48 on my Gretsch

Last edited:

dro

Reaction score
10's.JPG

Super Bronze.JPG

MGSatch

Reaction score
I use EB Regular 10s on my Les Paul and Hybrid 9s on my PRS Custom 24. I don't know why I do this but it works for me I guess.

Knoby

Reaction score
When i started guitar many years ago i went with d'adario because thats what i was told i had to use. One day i tried ghs boomers and never went back to the d's. I now realise the d'adarios are stiffer than most. Then i bought a box of dean markley signatures because they were cheap and the served me well for a long time. I have now discovered eb slinky and am really liking them for the feel and they really seem slinkyer than others.
I use 9-42 on strat scale
9-46 on LP scale.

Cozmik Cowboy

Reaction score
So? There are guys that work at Guitar Center under the title of “guitar tech” who set up and restring guitars for a living. I wouldn’t let them touch my guitar even if they were paying me because the ones I’ve had contact with don’t know what they’re doing. I’ve seen these people rotate a truss rod two full turns in one sitting (and this is after one of the techs had to tell him how to do it in the first place, then allowed him to proceed on his own) and another who tried to convince me that ALL Les Pauls die out if you bend the high E string up one step beyond the twelfth fret. These guys all set up and restring guitars for a living too.

Point is, you may be the best tech in the world; I have no clue. However, you saying “I use to restring guitars for a living” doesn’t say a thing about what you actually know.

As far as beta testing is concerned, I do know this: from the time NYXL’s hit the market, one thing I read/heard multiple people relate was that they stay in tune well. That’s the very same experience I’ve had. From what I’m reading here, others have as well. I’ll stand by the fact that, strung and set up properly, a sound guitar should have no tuning issues with NYXL’s. Maybe that was a problem in beta testing and it got solved during that time (that’s the entire point of beta testing, btw), maybe the beta testers with the issue didn’t string or have their guitars set up properly; I have no idea. But what happened in beta testing several years ago versus the current situation is irrelevant. If they’re fine now- and they are- that’s what is relevant and what matters.
Roadie & soundman (I did do a stint trying to sell at the Evil Empire, but wasn't nearly enough of a liar to make a living at it. Had no "techs" at that store - though the guitars I set up during slow periods did sell a lot better than the rest.....).

Point being, you (as you said) know nothing about my qualifications - so maybe don't assume they're less than yours. Unless you're a trained luthier or very experienced guitar tech, they're not. And I am not assuming you're not, as I don't know.

My experience with the NYXLs is my experience; your experience with them does not change that. Nor am I assuming that it's because you're tone deaf & don't know how to read your Peterson.
And if you'll go back & read it again, you'll see that I did acknowledge that it would seem by their going to market that others liked them better than I.

danzego

Reaction score
Roadie & soundman (I did do a stint trying to sell at the Evil Empire, but wasn't nearly enough of a liar to make a living at it. Had no "techs" at that store - though the guitars I set up during slow periods did sell a lot better than the rest.....).

Point being, you (as you said) know nothing about my qualifications - so maybe don't assume they're less than yours. Unless you're a trained luthier or very experienced guitar tech, they're not. And I am not assuming you're not, as I don't know.

My experience with the NYXLs is my experience; your experience with them does not change that. Nor am I assuming that it's because you're tone deaf & don't know how to read your Peterson.
And if you'll go back & read it again, you'll see that I did acknowledge that it would seem by their going to market that others liked them better than I.

Oook….so have you tried them since the beta test? Because if you have and you still had tuning issues, I can guarantee the problem isn’t with the strings. If you haven’t tried them since, what exactly is the point of relaying a negative experience of something still in the testing phase, especially with a bunch of people relating that the issue you had with them currently isn’t a problem?

I think of it like a piece of software in beta. If someone goes on a messageboard and asks if, say, a game or program is any good, and you encountered bugs with it during beta testing that have since been fixed, does it really mean anything to say “yeah, man. That program was riddled with bugs during beta testing.” So what? The guy didn’t ask if the strings were any good before they hit the market.

Makes sense to me. :dunno:

wildschwein

Reaction score
This used to be a standard Fender set if memory serves me right, I used to use them all the time till I had to start buying individual strings to make up the right gauged set, no one any longer selling them pre-packaged (well, over here anyway). Does anyone still produce these as a "standard" set?
Yep you can choose from several sets via Strings by Mail (they post worldwide and offer great service and prices). I have only used the GHS Boomer brand so far:

2old2rock

Reaction score
It is so easy to get overwhelmed with string choices. I always fall back to EB Super Slinky 9-42's, mostly because it's what I'm used to, I like the feel and they sound consistently good.

DaveSG

Reaction score
Update: I threw some 9-42 Elixir nanowebs on my SG Special and I do not like them at all. It may have something to do with the gauge. I got two sets, so I'm going to try the 2nd set on another guitar and see if the disappointment is repeated. That guitar may just continue to like Slinkys/Boomers.

CB91710

Not Michael Sankar
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Update: I threw some 9-42 Elixir nanowebs on my SG Special and I do not like them at all. It may have something to do with the gauge. I got two sets, so I'm going to try the 2nd set on another guitar and see if the disappointment is repeated. That guitar may just continue to like Slinkys/Boomers.
I'm good with Elixers on acoustics, but really don't like coated strings on electrics. They just don't feel right.

pondcaster

Reaction score
Kinda wish this thread had a poll, would like to see the stats as to most popular with MLP brethren and sisteren.

Socrates

Reaction score
I just started using DR Pure Blues 11-50 after using Ernie Ball and D’Addario for years.
Never tried 11s before and thinking about getting a set to see what they are like....but worried I might get "punched in da mouth" :rofl:

VictorB

Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile
Super Mod
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Never tried 11s before and thinking about getting a set to see what they are like....but worried I might get "punched in da mouth" :rofl:
You’ll get used to the extra tension in a few weeks, and the thick tone is glorious.

Banastre

Reaction score
I wonder if I'm missing out...I'm seeing tons of us here using 10's, but I've only used either EB Power Slinkys (11-48) or D'Addario 11-49s on my Les Paul. In fact 11's are on all my guitars (Teles, Gretsch and Epi Sherry) except my Strat, which currently have D'Addario 9s as an experiment, but usually EB 10s. That Strat with 9's (12" radius and very wide frets) I find a bit flimsy, but actually getting used to them.
Maybe I better give 10's a try on my Les Paul, but I remember there were a few of us here that were 11 users.

01GT Eibach

Reaction score
I wonder if I'm missing out...I'm seeing tons of us here using 10's, but I've only used either EB Power Slinkys (11-48) or D'Addario 11-49s on my Les Paul. In fact 11's are on all my guitars ...
All my guitars had 9's. When I got my first Les Paul, it came new with 10s like all new Les Pauls, so I just stayed with 10's for the LP's. Playing the Les Pauls with 10s makes playing the SG or Strat with 9s seem like almost cheating. 11's?? Uhhhh, yeah, no ...

Reactions: JMP

brettlowden

Reaction score
I've always stuck with Ernie ball
If I bust a string They are individually wrapped and it makes it a lot easier When it's half dark. I use the 9 to 42s.

PageSide84

Reaction score
Either RotoSound Pure Nickels or ThroBak Nickel Wound Hex core . . just depends on my mood when I'm throwing them on.

Gpass1

Reaction score
I’ve been Ernie Ball forever but I’m wondering what you all use? Anything that can help give a new tone or sound? Have a better feel than Ernie Ball?
I switched EB to D’addario NYXL. These strings really sing. The highs are bright and chimey and lows are articulate. Not muddy at all. And they last forever. I play a littl every day and I’ll change these about every four months.

Latest Threads