What strings are you all using?

danzego

Reaction score
Quite a few have mentioned NYXL’s - I might try those and the GHS Boomers - you have me intrigued by those reissues though

NYXL’s are killer. In the 34 or so years I’ve been playing, I tried D’addarios a few times and they never made the cut. There was quite a buzz around NYXL’s not long after they released. I skeptically gave them a try, figuring that the guy I talked to at the store just wanted to sell me the most expensive electric strings they had. Instead, I found out they are, in fact, the real deal. :)

ajwain

Reaction score
I’ve always liked D’Addario XL, but currently using Dunlop 10-46 because I got a 10 pack with a guitar I bought. I’m lucky that I don’t have corrosive sweat so I don’t notice a huge difference between brands.

ajory72

Reaction score
Like most of us, I have a few guitars and don't always play the same one.
I can get away with annual string changes on my less played guitars, and quarterly for my regular players.
I was using the cobalts before these, and I didn't mind them at all, but the NYXLs blow them out of the water for feel and sound (for me).
You bring up a good example of string changes- I do 3-4 month string changes on my main guitar and once a year on the others.
I’ve been testing how to keep the strings playable on the less played guitars and have been using RP7 to wipe the strings- I then use a clean cloth to wipe them again and seems to work well. (Is great nut sauce too)

Does anyone do anything to extend the life of strings on lesser used guitars?

rjwilson37

Reaction score
Does anyone do anything to extend the life of strings on lesser used guitars?
Nope, I just change them when I feel they need to be changed. I put locking tuners on all my guitars, so a string change is pretty quick and painless.

Nintari

Reaction score
On a Les Paul - Ernie Ball Power Slinky (11's). On my Strat - Ernie Ball Regular Slinky (10's).

wildschwein

Reaction score
Les Pauls and Teles 9-40s. On Strats 10-38s. On Jazz Box 12-52. On Bigsby Gretsch type hollowbody 11-52 groundwounds.

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
Im partial to the EB lime pack, been using them at least a decade.

gitmohair

Reaction score
On Strats 10-38s.

This used to be a standard Fender set if memory serves me right, I used to use them all the time till I had to start buying individual strings to make up the right gauged set, no one any longer selling them pre-packaged (well, over here anyway). Does anyone still produce these as a "standard" set?

DaveSG

Reaction score
I've bounced around on strings (GHS, Slinkies, etc), but right now using Elixirs. I don't like changing strings that much (my 2021 is still on its original strings; surprisingly still doing just fine). I didn't notice enough of a difference btw regular strings but the Elixirs mean that I can go longer btw string changes ha.

If OP is looking for string recommendations, I'd recommend all the top fliers (ex slinkies, boomers, rotosound, dr pure blues, Gibson vintage, elixirs, etc, for an a/b comparison and then decide which ones they like the best.

Cozmik Cowboy

Reaction score
NYXL’s are killer. In the 34 or so years I’ve been playing, I tried D’addarios a few times and they never made the cut. There was quite a buzz around NYXL’s not long after they released. I skeptically gave them a try, figuring that the guy I talked to at the store just wanted to sell me the most expensive electric strings they had. Instead, I found out they are, in fact, the real deal. :)
I beta-tested those for D'Addario; didn't care for the feel, found the tone a tad dull, and they would not stay in tune; glad they work better for you (and, since they went on to market them, apparently for a majority of the beta-testers, too).

bluesoul

Reaction score
Any of the well known brands that have been around for years are fine with me. Not brand picky.

brianbzed

Reaction score
I’ve been Ernie Ball forever but I’m wondering what you all use? Anything that can help give a new tone or sound? Have a better feel than Ernie Ball?
.009-.042...the cheapest I can find. got some D'addario's free from a guy...liked those, not as stiff as Ernie Ball...IMHO

Darkhawk

Reaction score
I've bounced around on strings (GHS, Slinkies, etc), but right now using Elixirs. I don't like changing strings that much (my 2021 is still on its original strings; surprisingly still doing just fine). I didn't notice enough of a difference btw regular strings but the Elixirs mean that I can go longer btw string changes ha.

If OP is looking for string recommendations, I'd recommend all the top fliers (ex slinkies, boomers, rotosound, dr pure blues, Gibson vintage, elixirs, etc, for an a/b comparison and then decide which ones they like the best.
Thank you for this! Much appreciated!

LtDave32

I'm walkin' on sunshine
Super Mod
Silver Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Musician's gear 10-46.

I get a lot of requests for where I get the strings I put on all the guitars that leave my shop.

Those are the strings.

And they're under $2.50 a pack. If you gig a lot and change strings before every gig, it's a great way to go.

danzego

Reaction score
I beta-tested those for D'Addario; didn't care for the feel, found the tone a tad dull, and they would not stay in tune; glad they work better for you (and, since they went on to market them, apparently for a majority of the beta-testers, too).

I don’t know what to say. They seem on the brighter side to me and they stay in tune extremely well. I use a Peterson strobe tuner, so I know for a fact the strings are very stable. No offense, but unless it was a bum set of strings you were beta testing, you may want to check your stringing technique, nut slots, saddles, etc.

Cozmik Cowboy

Reaction score
I don’t know what to say. They seem on the brighter side to me and they stay in tune extremely well. I use a Peterson strobe tuner, so I know for a fact the strings are very stable. No offense, but unless it was a bum set of strings you were beta testing, you may want to check your stringing technique, nut slots, saddles, etc.
I used to set up & restrings guitars for a living; I know what I'm doing. I use a Conn ST-11 (the Peterson, alas, is kaput). The strings were definitely bum - and I told them so.

catawompus

Reaction score
D'Addario XL Nickel: 10-46. Never had a broken string.

DaveSG

Reaction score
Musician's gear 10-46.

I get a lot of requests for where I get the strings I put on all the guitars that leave my shop.

Those are the strings.

And they're under $2.50 a pack. If you gig a lot and change strings before every gig, it's a great way to go.
This is a great suggestion. I think I might try these next.

danzego

Reaction score
I used to set up & restrings guitars for a living; I know what I'm doing. I use a Conn ST-11 (the Peterson, alas, is kaput). The strings were definitely bum - and I told them so.

So? There are guys that work at Guitar Center under the title of “guitar tech” who set up and restring guitars for a living. I wouldn’t let them touch my guitar even if they were paying me because the ones I’ve had contact with don’t know what they’re doing. I’ve seen these people rotate a truss rod two full turns in one sitting (and this is after one of the techs had to tell him how to do it in the first place, then allowed him to proceed on his own) and another who tried to convince me that ALL Les Pauls die out if you bend the high E string up one step beyond the twelfth fret. These guys all set up and restring guitars for a living too.

Point is, you may be the best tech in the world; I have no clue. However, you saying “I use to restring guitars for a living” doesn’t say a thing about what you actually know.

As far as beta testing is concerned, I do know this: from the time NYXL’s hit the market, one thing I read/heard multiple people relate was that they stay in tune well. That’s the very same experience I’ve had. From what I’m reading here, others have as well. I’ll stand by the fact that, strung and set up properly, a sound guitar should have no tuning issues with NYXL’s. Maybe that was a problem in beta testing and it got solved during that time (that’s the entire point of beta testing, btw), maybe the beta testers with the issue didn’t string or have their guitars set up properly; I have no idea. But what happened in beta testing several years ago versus the current situation is irrelevant. If they’re fine now- and they are- that’s what is relevant and what matters.

Latest Threads