What song says "Gibson" to you?

MiniB

Reaction score
Is there or was there a song that made you want to play a Gibson guitar? Something that you associate with them, or a solo or the like that is so uniquely a Gibson, or made you want to play one? Of course there's the old thing of Led Zeppelin I being recorded with a Tele, that's neither here nor there. I know a lot of classic fans would point to Clapton and Bluesbreakers, for example....Stepping Out or such. I could see some folks picking Slash, too.

For me, I'd have to pick "Ride On" from AC/DC. Obviously any of AC/DC and Angus' work is forever tied to the SG, but that tune in particular he's not using a lot of amp drive/volume, but it is still so unmistakenly Gibson and SG...you just wouldn't get that sound from a Strat or a Tele, and frankly maybe even not a Les Paul. And it wasn't super-high gain that could basically be anything plugged in.

When I was a young kid and first heard that, it was like I could feel that SG in my hands. And just that warm, howling, fat but sweet sound without driving the amp way up...like that was that guitar's true voice if it was just having a conversation with you one-on-one...and got excited while doing it, too. Then again, Angus would still be a monster if you gave him a ukulele for that matter, LOL.

Anyway, please share what songs/albums you pick.

Last edited:

LeslieFan

Reaction score

strayedstrater

Reaction score
Well, I play Fenders and Gibsons and others, but...

Derek & the Dominos "Have You Ever Loved A Woman" and "Key To The Highway". Eric's spikey, clanky Strat and Duane's fat, singing Goldtop. One absolutely screams "Fender" and the other absolutely screams "Gibson".

jenton70

Silver Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, I play Fenders and Gibsons and others, but...

Derek & the Dominos "Have You Ever Loved A Woman" and "Key To The Highway". Eric's spikey, clanky Strat and Duane's fat, singing Goldtop. One absolutely screams "Fender" and the other absolutely screams "Gibson".
Have You Ever.. is my favorite track on that album. You nailed it. A perfect raunchy strat sound with a perfect fat LP sound. The crunchy rhythm part when DA takes his first solo about 2 and a half minutes in sounds like the death of a tweed amp. Incredible.

EasyAce

Reaction score
First time I ever knew what a Les Paul was (what the hey, I was fourteen, freshly nailed with the blues bite, and hadn't seen one before) and how beautiful it could sound in the right hands, back in 1969 . . .

Caretaker

Reaction score
Early to mid 60`s blues. Freddie King, Clapton, Beck, Allman and Betts, Green for sure.

BTW, Angus played a hollow body(335?) early on.
So did Blackmore.

MiniB

Reaction score
Early to mid 60`s blues. Freddie King, Clapton, Beck, Allman and Betts, Green for sure.

BTW, Angus played a hollow body(335?) early on.
So did Blackmore.
Think he had a Junior too.

Latest Threads