What song is your nemesis?

p90fool

Reaction score
Problem is, when at a party and I pick up a guitar, I bust out a riff, everyone gathers around ready to listen, and at that point I stop and say "that's all I know of that tune" then start another riff.....rinse and repeat.

And yes, I know that there are many songs that are hard, and you really SHOULDN'T try to learn it perfectly (you can play the CD if you want to hear it perfect), but rather add your own personallity to it.

That's true to a point, but there are valuable lessons you can learn by figuring out EXACTLY what's being played on a record all the way through.

As guitarists we tend to focus too much on solos, but understanding the way a song builds and changes all the way through is far more interesting to me and frankly is the reason I get paid to come back time and again.

Here's a great example of how pros arrange a simple song, where a hobbyist might just play the same thing all the way through thinking they've nailed it;

Gibson Riff Building Session - YouTube!

icantbuyafender

Reaction score
I can't bear listening to the evil noise I make with a slide in order to practice long enough to get any better.

Been there...

Whole diff beast doing slide on electric.

I've been told it's a "touch" thing and needs a diff setup

So much easier on my acoustic

Nilitara

Reaction score
Probably a breeze to fellow seasoned players, but I'm really struggling with Cream's "Sunshine of your love" been playing a little over two years. I can play it, but not up to track speed. Hoping persistence pays off & my tutor can sign that piece off!

Mark V Guitars

バナナフライング...
Reaction score
I envy you guys...anyone who can play solos/lead. I only recently (last year) had that light inside go off where I can finally play and sing at the same time. I'm just not able to do blues or lead stuff, which I would love to be able to do someday.

Ok, back to you thread...

ElhazGuy

Reaction score
Back in 92, when I started playing the guitar, I remember Gn'R' Nightrain being a bitch for me to play. All those bends, legato runs drove me crazy ad I didn't even know anything about scales and modes.

It was a pain in the ass. :)

LP Traditional

Reaction score
For me it is the guitar solo in Gary Moore's Out in the fields.
The fast climb near the end.
I always f'ck up and it sounds like shit!
I have youtubed old live recordings and Gary f*cks it up too!

One of these days I'm going to lock myself in and nail that solo!
(Or maybe not...:rolleyes:)

paulgibson

Reaction score
Stone in Love solo by Journey. I've got it down but still struggle with some parts. Old age does something to the brain.

Posted from Mylespaul.com App for Android

TerryH

Reaction score
I've been working on More Than a Feeling... I have the beginning riff down, but can't seem to stay consistent! When I first pick up my guitar, I play it flawlessly, but when I try to do it over I start messing it up. Usually on my picking hand, I'll miss a string, wrong string or too weak. It's like either my mind wanders or maybe more like I'm thinking about it too much instead of just letting my fingers do the walking. Does that make sense?

I ordered a couple of music books (one with just Eagles songs, the other a lot of good old rock songs)so I could learn the whole song (and others) correctly, but when I opened them, I was like holy cow!, I can't make heads or tails of this! I can't read music! So I had to go back to the Guitar Lessons book I started a year ago and gave up on, thinking that there was no reason I really needed to read music... :shock: :laugh2:

duane v

Reaction score
Having to sing and play Little Wing..... It took me me a few weeks to get the singing in place, and if we dont rehearse that song for a few weeks I get rusty on it

Falconbill

Reaction score
You guys are going to laugh, but I'll go all the way back to '68 with the Monkees (of all bands) and the solo for Valleri. The solo was actually played by Louie Shelton, a session man. Mike Nesmith learned to play an air guitar version during their videos. :laugh2:

I can play it now but it was challenging for a kid back then with a Harmony electric guitar.

crazytrain513

Reaction score
Solo on "Revelation (Mother Earth)" by Ozzy. The trills get me...EVERY TIME. The accuracy required is unbelievable. I always miscalculate ONE.

El Pablo

Reaction score
I LOVE but struggle with Brian Setzer's fast/jazz-filled rockabilly. I highly recommend you check out his entire Instrumental CD.

Jeff Watson's 8-finger tapping - yikes!

And the one song I have played live for years but never can play note for note - My Sharona!

prs97

Reaction score
La Villa Strangiato.

I can play a lot of it but the solo always has eluded me.

Some day...

entresz

Reaction score
It's not a song, but my nemesis on guitar is harmonics.... ie. those lovely harp like sounds that players such as Chet Atkins, Tommy Emmanuel, Danny Gatton can make. I just suck at those.

LP Bob

Reaction score
Led Zeppelin...The Song Remains The Same, Bron-Y-Aur, and The Rain Song. There's alot more than meets the eye with those for sure!

cthall8143

Reaction score
I have many, but the one that is kicking my ass right now is the opening riff to that April Wine tune, Roller.

My fingers, and brain just wont get on the same page for some reason.

Latest Threads