What software will compile cell phone videos from band members into a video?

Gary

Reaction score
My band needs to do some work from home. We can record ourselves playing and singing along to a track. Where can I find software that will allow me to put something together like this Nashville group?

A group of Nashville studio singers perform an epic cell phone choir

Video recording is uncharted territory for me and I have no idea what I am doing, beyound being able to record myself playing guitar along with a track.

Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks!

redking

Reaction score
Final Cut Pro is the Mac pro version of that software.

rabidhamster

Reaction score
Can also probably do that with Adobe Premiere, if not the video tiling then Adobe After Effects for sure. I’d just get the full subscription.

Freddy G

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Sony Vegas is what I use. The video part is a cinch. Mixing and synchronizing cell phone audio is where the work is.

jkes01

Reaction score
Sony Vegas is what I use. The video part is a cinch. Mixing and synchronizing cell phone audio is where the work is.
Sony Vegas is good software. I also like Acid Pro, both formerly Sonic Foundry products before Sony purchased them.

Wouldn’t the best way to acive this is to have a master audio track and just slice the videos together using only the one track? With audio from different sources, it would sound weird.

DarrellV

Welcome to the internet!
Premium Member
Reaction score
Heck I've used Windows movie maker for cell vids..

It lets me rotate them as needed, cut , splice, transition, and offers many formats as a finished project.

There is also the ability to add a sound track so as jkes said above, you can get a quality take and load it into the project.

There is a slider to mix background and original sound, so you would turn it all the way to background and viola!

Freddy G

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Wouldn’t the best way to acive this is to have a master audio track and just slice the videos together using only the one track? With audio from different sources, it would sound weird.
The OP premise is that the audio would all be from different sources. So I would do it like so... Let's say it's a 4 piece band. I would have a simple rhythm instrument play along to a click track. Send out that track to the drummer first and let him record his part while listening to that. The trick is to slate the takes somehow. Easy if everyone has a DAW, more difficult if it's all guerilla style cell phone recordings. But it can be done...you just need an audible count in that you can later match to the original track.
Then take that drum cell video and send it to the bass player and so on. But in the end whoever is mixing it needs all the individual cell phone sources so they can mix it. That's why the slate is important....so you can line it all up.

redking

Reaction score
Just like the Barenaked Ladies. Looks like the drummer's track is without a DAW since I don't see a mic and hear a lot of room sound but the other guys are probably through a DAW. I would guess Ed on the acoustic and vocals was the guide track for the other 3 guys.

Bretseck

Reaction score
Why nobody has mentioned imovie? It's free and you can easily compile videos. It's on a mac though. Not on a PC.

Gary

Reaction score
Thanks, Bretseck. I’ll check that out. My friend the video expert compiled the separate cell phone videos into one master video. In my home studio, I took the audio and mixed it down to a single file. The two were assembled and it worked. A rough start for us but it was a new experience.

We’re working on a new and improved video now. Baby steps.

yeti

Reaction score
Just like the Barenaked Ladies. Looks like the drummer's track is without a DAW since I don't see a mic and hear a lot of room sound but the other guys are probably through a DAW. I would guess Ed on the acoustic and vocals was the guide track for the other 3 guys.

Sorry to sidetrack for a moment but...
.....man, I wish they wouldn't have butchered that song.
Here's the real deal version, a great song on an incredibly important album in Bruce's career IMHO.

Now back to our regular scheduled program.

Freddy G

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Sorry to sidetrack for a moment but...
.....man, I wish they wouldn't have butchered that song.
Here's the real deal version, a great song on an incredibly important album in Bruce's career IMHO.

Now back to our regular scheduled program.
Agreed! I cringe when I hear that version.

Latest Threads