What size of wrench needed for adjusting an R6 truss rod?

Mojojones

Reaction score
I'm hoping someone can answer this. What size of wrench needed for adjusting an R6 truss rod? I ordered a 5/16 and of course it doesn't fit. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Mojojones

Reaction score

Uncle Vinnie

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
impact.jpg

delawaregold

_______Artie_______
Super Mod
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I'm not trying to be ignorant, or flippant, but, if you have to ask this question,
you probably don't have enough experience to be adjusting your truss rod.
Often, a truss rod adjustment is used to compensate for a twist in the neck, a bow
or belly in the fretboard, which the truss rod was not designed to do. These are
separate issues that must be addressed by a Luthier. If a truss rod adjustment is
needed, it is done slowly, 1/32" at a time. Without string tension.

LtDave32

I'm walkin' on sunshine
Super Mod
Silver Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I'm hoping someone can answer this. What size of wrench needed for adjusting an R6 truss rod? I ordered a 5/16 and of course it doesn't fit. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Okay..

Let's take a look at what you're doing.

Firstly, What Roxy13 on the second post recommended as the right tool for the job..

..is the right tool for the job.

Why? Because it's not only the right thinness for getting on the TR nut properly, it's sized right as to not provide too much torque for what you are doing.

Now the procedure.

First take a look at what you are doing. Do you have up-bow issues? too much relief in the neck and you want less relief? Are the strings too high off the frets? -some of these ar TR adjustment issues, and some are not.

What at truss rod adjustment is for, is to return the neck to it's proper setting from string pressure.. It's not for "wrestling" the neck into a position.

This is sensitive stuff, and you can send a perfectly good neck way out of whack by not realizing what you're doing and why.

Strings pull the neck forward, they collectively put about 130 lbs on the neck pulling forward. The truss rod is there to minimize these effects.

As delaware gold said above, a 32nd at a time. And let it settle for a few hours between adjustments. If you want to get rid of some excess relief, this is how you do it.

Remember that a truss rod adjustment is not there to lower the action. It is there to countereffect the up-bow caused by string pressure.

I'd take it to a pro (not the kid at Guitar Center). It's not a cheap instrument. It's an R6. Give it the treatment it deserves.

Latest Threads