What size frets do the new Slash dogs have (looking for measurements)

danzego

Reaction score
Hey, all! I just picked up a Slash sig in November Burst and am still in the “will I hang on to it?” first couple of days. Amazing, crazy resonant guitar, though there are a few of the familiar build issues to be found (someone get the blind guy with the file out of the fretboard finishing area).

Anyway, I’m curious if anyone else with one of these knows what the average fret height are on these? I don’t mean what Gibson CLAIMS them to be, because that means nothing. I mean actual measurements. I thought they used the same frets as the Standard 50’s and 60’s, but my 50’s averages near .040 while the new Slash one I got felt quite low and, sure enough, I’m seeing an average in the low .030’s.

Overture

Reaction score
This has me curious now. I actually prefer fairly low and wide frets, but the frets on my 58' reissue may have taken the "low" part a tad too far. Curious now to know what the measurement is on my Custom cause that's definitely my favourite fret size

danzego

Reaction score
I guess the answer is “the usual poor QC done on Gibson’s part”. In having the guitar a few days, the amount of build issues has been something else.

I ended up buying a used one (same finish- November Burst) that just happened to be available at a GC I visited a couple days ago. This one has no build issues whatsoever- no binding scraping ridge, no sharp fret/nib edges, no pre-finish dings, no deep file marks, no cruddy wood piece for the fretboard. Despite that, I don’t like the neck profile (and top) nearly as much as the first one so I may return and keep hunting.

Whatever the case, on this one, the fret height is averaging at .040 or so, which is what I expect for a Standard 50s/60s (which is essentially what these are aside from a few Slash based tweaks). So I guess that’s just another WC issue with the first one- which is supposed to be new: over Pleked frets.

Nintari

Reaction score
I guess the answer is “the usual poor QC done on Gibson’s part”. In having the guitar a few days, the amount of build issues has been something else.

I ended up buying a used one (same finish- November Burst) that just happened to be available at a GC I visited a couple days ago. This one has no build issues whatsoever- no binding scraping ridge, no sharp fret/nib edges, no pre-finish dings, no deep file marks, no cruddy wood piece for the fretboard. Despite that, I don’t like the neck profile (and top) nearly as much as the first one so I may return and keep hunting.

Whatever the case, on this one, the fret height is averaging at .040 or so, which is what I expect for a Standard 50s/60s (which is essentially what these are aside from a few Slash based tweaks). So I guess that’s just another WC issue with the first one- which is supposed to be new: over Pleked frets.
Yes. It's either order online and roll the dice these days or gut it out and drive around, patiently waiting for a dealer or set of dealers to have a "good one" in stock. Either way, it's a less-than-ideal situation.

But what are we going to do? Stop buying guitars? They got us by the balls and they know it. lol

kelsodeez

Reaction score

What was the build date on both of them? I have a theory that the guitars built between February and July of last year were the best QC that has come out of gibson USA in a long time. People scared of losing their jobs because of covid, the supply chain still being somewhat functional and gibson's change of leadership, who were looking to turn around the negative press for the brand all contributed to some of the best guitars to ever come out of Nashville. I played three slash standards in mid 2020 and I ended up buying one with a build date in May. All three had flawless fretwork and binding scraping. I made my decision on how the top looked because all of them played great. Every one that I've come across that had a build date past August of 2020 have had all the issues you listed

Brian N

Reaction score
Gibson claims medium jumbo which used to mean .055" Since 2019 however, it means whatever they want it to mean. I've yet to see anything that measured taller than .045" and they go as low as .03" on the same model.

So to answer your question, the height will vary. But they will be short.

danzego

Reaction score
What was the build date on both of them? I have a theory that the guitars built between February and July of last year were the best QC that has come out of gibson USA in a long time. People scared of losing their jobs because of covid, the supply chain still being somewhat functional and gibson's change of leadership, who were looking to turn around the negative press for the brand all contributed to some of the best guitars to ever come out of Nashville. I played three slash standards in mid 2020 and I ended up buying one with a build date in May. All three had flawless fretwork and binding scraping. I made my decision on how the top looked because all of them played great. Every one that I've come across that had a build date past August of 2020 have had all the issues you listed
The new one that has the QC issues has a headstock stamped serial date of August 28th, 2020 (the inspection card is dated September 16th, 2020).

The used one, which was built great (my only qualms are I wish the top was flamier, though the color is killer, and the neck carve has a more squared shoulder on the bass side than I typically care for) is stamped January 4th, 2021. The inspection card is dated March 5th, 2021.

Latest Threads