What should I upgrade: Probuckers on ES Les Paul

ours

Reaction score
Hi everybody,

I recently acquired an Epiphone ES Les Paul equipped with Probuckers 2 & 3, and I must say it sounds thin, no grit (sorry I can't describe it better. Not enough low mids?) and it has low volume. Everything else is great though, very nice finish, perfect intonation, no buzz and, what I was looking for, very light (6 and 1/4 pounds). I am comparing it to a Gibby Studio (7 pounds).

Before anybody ask, yes I played with the pickup heights, from the very low factory 1/4 of an inch to 1/32, 3/64, 2/64 and 1/64, with nothing but little improvement. I was wondering if you guys had any ideas of what I should aim to upgrade first?

Pots? Caps? Pickups? I have a couple of 490/498 pickups sitting on my workbench, but I am not sure it will solve the problem.

Does any body had the same feeling with an Epi LP Standard? Maybe I got a set of bad pickups. Or maybe it's the ES sound.

My goal is to get closer to the sound of my Gibson Studio equipped with Classic 57/57+. I compared both of them, same amp, same settings and the Studio has more volume and more grit. To get the same volume with the Epi I had to move the gain from 5 to 6.5. It also helps to get more grit, but it still sound thin. Same problem with both pickups. One difference is the Classic 57 are uncovered.

638e2f11965678ab89687aab2521c886-full.jpg

93aaaec835422a1cef661be1b3ed1175-full.jpg

Cheers

Last edited:

scrumm21

Reaction score
1st - Welcome to M.L.P. !!

I've always considered the Probuckers in my Epi PTP to be a bit thin sounding when compared to my other LPs...
Without any experience with an ES model I am wondering if the semi hollow body aspect of the construction contributes to the "Thiness" you are hearing...
(Seems like I experienced the same as you when I did direct comparison to 57's in my former Tribute Plus)

Beautiful Guitars btw !

sasquatch

Reaction score
Could maybe need new caps or treble bleed kit
?

ours

Reaction score
Thnaks guys for your replies and welcome.

Since ES are harder to get dig in, I might want to change caps and pickups at the same time. But changing just the caps is an option, I have some orange drops lying around.

I am not so good at playing with volume, so treble bleed is maybe not for me. But if I was going to implement it, should I try it on the bridge pickup first?

Cheers

Gem23

Reaction score
Hi. I don't really imagine that changing the caps would make much of a difference. .
Or even the volume or tone pots, unless they are not working properly and holding back the tone..
I would imagine that those pickups aren't what your are wanting to hear, and the classic 57's are..
I wouldn't put the 490/498's in tho, IMHO, I have those in my LP studio, and can't get on with them, as compared to my sheraton with 57's.

ours

Reaction score
Hi Gem23, thanks. It sounds you have the same feeling as me with the 490/498, that's why they are sitting on the bench. I replaced them in another Les Paul with a couple of black dogs from BKP and I am much happier this way (although this LP is too heavy for me to play in a band).

Do you think that covered or uncovered Classic57 makes a difference? I think I will only change the caps and pots if they have different values than the Studio.

Cheers

Gem23

Reaction score
Yes, I've been toying with the idea of changing the LP 490/498 arrangement, but I rarely play it, and prefer my sheraton, it's on a fairly long journey of becoming sold at some point I imagine.
As for the uncovered pickups, I'm not sure. I know the design is to stop unwanted interference from lighting etc.. but I'm not sure what sonic difference there is, I'd like to hear a comparison, I'm sure someone here knows tho.

ours

Reaction score
I don't find the youtube videos very useful on that particular matter. But since I already have a guitar equipped with uncovered classic57, covered that is!

Darn those pickups are hard to find used in Europe...

JohnnyN

Just another old geezer
Silver Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
300K pots maybe? Gibson 57 and 57+ would probably be better, but maybe the difference is not enough compared to the hassle. I think ES models are somewhat bright.

Spiteface

Reaction score
Start with the pots & caps. Upgrade those and see where you are from there. If you still don't like the sound, then consider the pickups. I would say in that order because some good pots are potentially cheaper than new pickups, although you have what you're thinking of fitting already, I notice.

I take it you like the feel, weight etc, hence the sound is the only sticking point for you here.

As for the uncovered pickups, I'm not sure. I know the design is to stop unwanted interference from lighting etc.. but I'm not sure what sonic difference there is, I'd like to hear a comparison, I'm sure someone here knows tho.

Bare Knuckle did a good comparison video on covers vs no covers:

Rocco Crocco

Reaction score
Hi Gem23, thanks. It sounds you have the same feeling as me with the 490/498, that's why they are sitting on the bench. I replaced them in another Les Paul with a couple of black dogs from BKP and I am much happier this way (although this LP is too heavy for me to play in a band).

Do you think that covered or uncovered Classic57 makes a difference? I think I will only change the caps and pots if they have different values than the Studio.

Cheers
Nickel covers made very little difference vs uncovered. Chrome covers reduce treble in a noticeable way, and gold reduce a lot of treble.

ours

Reaction score
Hi Guys, thanks for your inputs. I will start with caps and pots. Actually I also want to change to tulip tuners (they are much lighter!) and maybe bridge and stopbar since I have extra from Gotoh. The Classic 57 will be hard to find with 4-connectors, so that will come later if needed, hopefully covered.

ours

Reaction score
300K pots maybe?.

You mean 500K would be brighter?

I opened the studio pots cavity, and indeed the volume pots are 300K, the tone pots are 500K. So it might be part of the creamy sound I am looking for.

Last edited:

ours

Reaction score
Just make sure you have a good amp to hear all the upgrades :thumb:

Changing pots and caps, you are right, I doubt (unless the caps are way off), but I will try. Changing pickups, I will hear the difference, I have been there already.

But sure with a Marshall Valvestate 8080 (I had one of those in the 90s) it would be hard to hear any difference. :rock:

HCRoadie

Reaction score
I have an Epiphone Florentine, that appears to be the same as the ES, granted I have not compared the specs so please correct me if I am wrong. Anyhow, my Florentine also has the Pro Bucker 2 and 3 in it. Mine has a thick beefy tone to it, even when I split the pickups. Mine is even the same color as yours, so we can rule that out as to the problem.

ours

Reaction score
I have an Epiphone Florentine, that appears to be the same as the ES, granted I have not compared the specs so please correct me if I am wrong. Anyhow, my Florentine also has the Pro Bucker 2 and 3 in it. Mine has a thick beefy tone to it, even when I split the pickups. Mine is even the same color as yours, so we can rule that out as to the problem.

Yes I would expect it to sound the same, the construction is carved for the Florentine vs Laminated with a solid block for the ES. Your description of the sound is far from mine. I will dig in next week to see if anything is wrong with the wiring and move to 300K volume pots.

Last edited:

Jymbopalyse

Reaction score
Howdy @ours and welcome to MLP.

I get the feeling from the way you have been writing that can do your own wiring/soldering.
If this is the case - go for the full harness upgrade first (but keep the old parts).

Don't worry about staying with the push/pull pots for the coil splits (for the four wire pickups) For all the hype, I find it a rather disappointing "upgrade". You can just connect two of the four wires of the pickups together for use with regular pots. And use 500K pots. MLP has a (if not several) /threads on how to do all of this.

If this doesn't offer you the satisfaction you were looking for, then go for changing pickup.

I have found that the Probuckers are a fine pickup . . very usable. I have upgraded an old Epi Custom with Gibson Classic 57/57+ and absolutely noticed an improvement in the clean tones . . . BUT FOR THE PRICE, question it as a "worthy" upgrade.

A good pickup winder can duplicate these high price after market pickups for a much cheaper price. I have gotten two sets of aftermarket pickups from Craig Vineham, in Canada where I live. You can actually talk to Craig, describe your guitar and sound you want, and get them wound for you. All for $80 CDN per pickup.

I don't know how common a pickup winder is in France or the Europe area but I'm sure some of our members here can chime in with a recommendation.

C_Becker

Dat Gibson smell
Reaction score
You mean 500K would be brighter?

I opened the studio pots cavity, and indeed the volume pots are 300K, the tone pots are 500K. So it might be part of the creamy sound I am looking for.

500k will definitely get you a less "dull" sound. You might even go higher, I once had 1Meg volume pots in my very dark sounding Epi Explorer.

500k tone pots, 22nF caps.

490R/498T wouldn't be my choice for that kind of guitar, even though I really like them.
57/57+ would IMHO be a much better fit or 490R/T, but I'd change the volume pots first.

My starting point for pickup height is 2,5mm bass side, 2mm treble side nowadays.
Measured with the string pressed at the last fret.

Latest Threads