What should i do?

HarryAndAGuitar

Reaction score
Ok, so im 15, and my mum is cashing in this childs trust bond she saved for me from when i was born.

It comes to £2500

should i get a Gibson Les Paul custom, then save for a new amp.

Or get a Gibson Les Paul Traditional and an amp?

Thanks

Harry :slash:

JamesD

Reaction score
If I were in your shoes, I'd search for a good used LP and a good used amp - you'll get much more for your money than going out and buying new. For 2500 pounds, you should be able to find both a nice guitar and a nice amp.

In fact, everything you see in my avatar (and signature) I bought used; I never could have afforded to buy it all new.

Louie

Reaction score
Ok, I'll play.

I'd get the Custom and trade the AVT150 + Tele for a better amp. Between a Les Paul and a Strat you almost don't need the Tele anymore.

Since you've mentioned GBP, I'll assume you're in the UK. In that case, a brand-new ebony LP Custom should be around GBP 2100, meaning you could also just trade in the AVT plus the cash for another amp.

EDIT: before I forget: whatever option you choose, make sure you buy your mum a nice gift. :thumb:

HarryAndAGuitar

Reaction score
Haha yeah i will, i nice key ring.

Haha i joke, but is it ok to buy used, i always like the idea of buying new

Harry

jdt

Reaction score
Yeah... I'm going to be in the minority here.

But I say get a good Epi standard and a decent amp, stow the money away in a high-yield savings account, and when you're in your twenties, you'll be able to afford your dream guitar and amp.

Obviously, this is coming from the advice of an adult... when I was 15 I would have gone with a (used) traditional and an amp.

oops.. just looked at your gear. You've already got some great stuff. Looks like it IS time for you to go to a Gibby.

JamesD

Reaction score
...but is it ok to buy used, i always like the idea of buying new

Sure, it's okay to buy used, but if you prefer to buy new then go ahead - it gives guys like me more opportunities to buy near-new equipment at a great discount. :thumb:

For example, I bought my Custom for $2500 USD instead of $3900 USD for a new one. Also, I bought my JVM410H for $1200 USD rather than $2100 USD for a new one. See how this works? ;)

pmonk

Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Haha yeah i will, i nice key ring.

Haha i joke, but is it ok to buy used, i always like the idea of buying new

There is nothing wrong with buying used as long as you use patience and common sense.

I am sure the majority of people on this forum have purchased used guitars.

Plus, you really need to think in the long term.

Back in 1993, as a present to myself from graduating law school - I decided to buy me a guitar.

I went to Manny's and at the time it was between a Fender Start ($799) or a Gibson Les Paul ($1300)

I opted for the Fender due to the money.

I still have the Strat but to this day regretted not buying the Les Paul.

Mikey L

Reaction score
Why a custom? Why not a used historic? How much would shipping be from some of the US shops to where you are?

HarryAndAGuitar

Reaction score
Why a custom? Why not a used historic? How much would shipping be from some of the US shops to where you are?

Im not sure, i live in Manchester in england, but i would like to play the guitar before i bought, for reasons that it's a lot of money, and i want a guitar that i won't regret ever getting.:slash:

ledfloyd

Reaction score
Well this man thinks you should have one.....
e2175.gif

3745077.bin

KenG

Reaction score
Well if needing to play before buying is a must (smart in my opinion) only local second hand sales or from a shop (new) is your option. A lot of EBay fans are in the US because it's a bigger market for selling and buying so shipping can be ground vs air and cheaper. No currency exchange fees etc.
If it was me I'd go Trad and amp over Custom. You pay a lot of money for a Custom and really it's more bling than substance over a regular LP. Heck for the price of a Custom you're almost up to new R8 or R7!

HarryAndAGuitar

Reaction score
Yeah, well now i've got another question, is the Custom, better than a traditional?

Sounds wise, i play slash's stuff, guns n roses, led zeppelin, muse, white stripes, placebo, strokes, anything really haha.

Custom53

Reaction score
If I were in your shoes, I'd search for a good used LP and a good used amp - you'll get much more for your money than going out and buying new. For 2500 pounds, you should be able to find both a nice guitar and a nice amp.

In fact, everything you see in my avatar (and signature) I bought used; I never could have afforded to buy it all new.

What he said....

Oranjeaap

Reaction score
Look on internet or whatever, and find out the Gibson Les Pauls that are for sale near you. Try a few, and buy the best one. Then buy an amp the same way. For 2500 GBP, you could get an used Custom and a good amp

L60N

Reaction score
Buy lots of gold, and hide it.

Mikey L

Reaction score
Im not sure, i live in Manchester in england, but i would like to play the guitar before i bought, for reasons that it's a lot of money, and i want a guitar that i won't regret ever getting.:slash:

I understand and am the same way, but there are some shops that will give you full reports on their inventory. There was another thread that I was reading just a few days ago about Wildwood employee's giving "full tone reports."

Latest Threads