What shop will have the most Martins on the wall?

Thundermtn

Reaction score
Finally going up upgrade from my p.o.s. Ibanez acoustic to something that is a better sounding acoustic guitar. Getting one through the internet isn't happening. I'm about 80% towards a new D-18 Martin, but would like to try a D-18A '37, HD-28, M-36 etc.... If I find something American made that sounds amazing I might not get a Martin, it'll come down to individual guitars.

I'm probably going to Nashville as it's my favorite guitar safari town, and being the country music capital of the world it'll have tons of really good places and options for acoustics. My sphere of where I'll drive to is a circle in the Denver, Chicago, Nashville, Houston range. What other places will have an obscene amount of acoustics out on the floor?

sonar1

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Gryphon Strings - Palo Alto, CA

Reactions: tzd

Brek

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd suggest also looking at American made guilds. Seem top quality.

hotshot

Reaction score
Finally going up upgrade from my p.o.s. Ibanez acoustic to something that is a better sounding acoustic guitar. Getting one through the internet isn't happening. I'm about 80% towards a new D-18 Martin, but would like to try a D-18A '37, HD-28, M-36 etc.... If I find something American made that sounds amazing I might not get a Martin, it'll come down to individual guitars.

I'm probably going to Nashville as it's my favorite guitar safari town, and being the country music capital of the world it'll have tons of really good places and options for acoustics. My sphere of where I'll drive to is a circle in the Denver, Chicago, Nashville, Houston range. What other places will have an obscene amount of acoustics out on the floor?
If you swing though IN., stop in Fort Wayne and visit Sweetwater. They have a big room with all the top brands including Martin, lining the walls.

smk506

Reaction score
I’m struggling to come up with a good nashville Martin destination. In the past I would have grudgingly recommended you check out Artisan Guitars for a killer high end acoustic, but it looks like they’re only Matin dealers now. Not that those aren’t great, I’m sure, but not too much in the way of variety I guess.

You might strike gold at the nashville guitar center though, they usually have a pretty decent selection going and it’s not unusual to see some of the high end offerings there.

Thundermtn

Reaction score
Gruhn and Carters will have some, but even those places seemed to be sort of low on stock. New shipments should go out before X-mas though I'm betting.

Gryphon Strings - Palo Alto, CA
Too far from me to drive there. Twelve hours from home is as far as I'll go.

joe_cpwe

Reaction score
When I went to Gruhn in Nashville the inventory of new used and vintage acoustic guitars was.... thorough. I'd check that out if I were in town.

THDNUT

Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Watching cigarettes and smoking Captain Kangaroo....

Don't tell me, I've nothing to do.

OP, same here, good luck on finding The One.

angeldeville

Reaction score
23?years ago or so I had my heart set on a Taylor 814 or something like that.

I finally had enough money from eating ramen for a year.

I woke up at the dawn of crack and headed to geetar centre Hollywood.

I was so damn excited I got there a full hour before they opened…

Just down the street was American Music and as luck would have it they were open.

I picked a J45 off the wall and spent the next hour with that one guitar.

In the mean time geetar centre had opened… so I headed over

I proceeded to play every Taylor and Martin I could get my hands on…

They all sounded like a cigar box with rubber bands stretched over it compared to that J45…

I walked back to American Music and got away spending about $800 less than I planned to and still have the geetar today.

Putting hands on as many as you can works for geetars too…

Thundermtn

Reaction score
For sure, no internet buys.

I've played about forty since last weekend. Have been able to walk away from all of them so far. Played a 000-18 that was kind of good, fretboard looked like puke though.

I like the hunt, been on enough of them now that I don't get jumpy and impulse buy an almost there guitar. I'll find the one. Hopefully it doesn't take too long. Going to guitar town ups my chances. Left there last time empty handed though, you never can tell where it will be, you just keep hunting.

angeldeville

Reaction score
A friend of mine had I think an hd-28:Martin, and tha was the sound I had in my head when I “discovered” my J45…

Now those two geetar‘s have spoiled me for anything else…. My friend passed some time ago and I have no clue what happened to his guitar.