What semi-cheap all-in-one video recorder has the best audio?

kakerlak

Reaction score
I've got too many guitars and a lot of them are oddball stuff that would be cool to demo for the world. I've been thinking about starting some quick, simple youtube style guitar demo vids and am wondering what the best camera would be to get clear audio capture at what could be fairly substantial volume and/or a fairly wide range of DB levels, depending on what I'm plugged into and how high it's cranked (think clean and dirty demos through a Super Reverb at like 3 vs 7+). I have an older Lumix DMC-ZS7, which is honestly still a pretty decent point-and-shoot with surprisingly okay audio, but I'm wondering whether some of the newer digital camcorders would actually provide better audio performance.

At like a $200-ish budget, is there something that would significantly outperform it? I've seen things out there from companies like GoPro and Zoom they seem to be aimed at streamers and vloggers. I really don't care about video too much and assume virtually anything out there would also record good enough picture for my purposes, but they all seem heavily leaning on picture quality as the selling point, even when I tried to read online reviews, the discussion centered on video quality. What's got the best mic?

Or is there a cheap HD camcorder with a mic input that might be an even better route? I really want to minimize any time spent in post-recording editing, so I wouldn't want to mess with recording audio and syncing it up with separate video, but I could see even a cheap full size high impedance stereo mic offering better audio than whatever can be stuffed inside a cigarette pack sized camera. I just don't want to spend hours on the computer compiling video/audio -- if I can't keep it to simple cutting/splicing of the audio and video as a single object (10-15 minutes of editing), I know I wouldn't keep up the project.

I know a lot of you guys have recorded demos and other videos of playing. What's your setup?

Brek

Reaction score
I have a go pro 7 I can record a clip for you. I think it will be interesting.

monstruo_loco

Silver Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've got too many guitars and a lot of them are oddball stuff that would be cool to demo for the world. I've been thinking about starting some quick, simple youtube style guitar demo vids and am wondering what the best camera would be to get clear audio capture at what could be fairly substantial volume and/or a fairly wide range of DB levels, depending on what I'm plugged into and how high it's cranked (think clean and dirty demos through a Super Reverb at like 3 vs 7+). I have an older Lumix DMC-ZS7, which is honestly still a pretty decent point-and-shoot with surprisingly okay audio, but I'm wondering whether some of the newer digital camcorders would actually provide better audio performance.

At like a $200-ish budget, is there something that would significantly outperform it? I've seen things out there from companies like GoPro and Zoom they seem to be aimed at streamers and vloggers. I really don't care about video too much and assume virtually anything out there would also record good enough picture for my purposes, but they all seem heavily leaning on picture quality as the selling point, even when I tried to read online reviews, the discussion centered on video quality. What's got the best mic?

Or is there a cheap HD camcorder with a mic input that might be an even better route? I really want to minimize any time spent in post-recording editing, so I wouldn't want to mess with recording audio and syncing it up with separate video, but I could see even a cheap full size high impedance stereo mic offering better audio than whatever can be stuffed inside a cigarette pack sized camera. I just don't want to spend hours on the computer compiling video/audio -- if I can't keep it to simple cutting/splicing of the audio and video as a single object (10-15 minutes of editing), I know I wouldn't keep up the project.

I know a lot of you guys have recorded demos and other videos of playing. What's your setup?
Exactly what I’ve thought about recently myself, whenever I’m describing something I’ve done it would help to be able to post a video with quality audio that shows the gear being used, and I also am way behind the times in terms of current recording setups and which direction to go for that and the hardware/software that are required to produce quality audio recordings & am looking forward to the replies to follow in this thread & hopefully with examples of what others have done with this.

Latest Threads