What pots and capacitors come with a new Les Paul Custom with 490R's and 498T?

thefees

Reaction score
I tried to look this up at Gibson.com but all they had was the wiring diagram from 1954 with a penciled in update pertaining to... well look at the GIF I uploaded.
So my question is what specific pots come with the new Les Paul Custom a $3999 guitar and which capacitors do they use? Anything else I should know? Like any other electronics hooked up to it?
I bought new 490R and 498T pickups today and I want to exactly reproduce that same tone as in the Custom I played today but in a different guitar. I feel like I want to go into the guitar and take the access panel off of the back and see. I can ask the tech guy if he would do that for me. Does anybody know for sure?

Attachments

thefees

Reaction score
Well I learned a valuable lesson. If you have Gibson guitar question just call 1-8004Gibson. The help was immediate (after a two minute wait, no problem) and very helpful.
I wanted to know what the pot values were on a Les Paul Custom which had the 490R in the neck, and the 498T pickup in the bridge because I wanted to capture that exact tone. His answer was simple...

"All Custom Shop guitars have 500k volume and 500k tone pots, so all four are 500k. They are linear taper pots.
All USA production models use 300k pots for the volume and 500k for the tone and they are audio taper pots.
All use .022 capacitors."

What happened was I played a Les Paul Custom Ebony in the store and compared it to the other top grade pickups from Gibson in their respective models. The timing was good because Guitar Center was featuring their Les Pauls so they had several of the top models down on an island where you could reach/play/plug in them.

Everyone's taste is personal for the type of sound they are looking for, but for me the 490R in the neck, and 498T in the bridge had the sweetest tone out of them all. I was playing it into a Fender Mustang IV set to #90 Basic 65 Twin. (Which sounds even a little bit better than the tube Vintage Reissue 65 Twin sitting along side of it by the way. I guess that is why the Mustang series is Fender's number one selling amp line)

So anyhow I tried the Classic 57 and it had a lot more sparkle, you know 1957 Elvis Presley style which is a nice option to have. The Burstbucker/pro's had a really good sound to them as well.
So why did I choose the 490 series? Because although it is hard to explain but it had this certain kind of magic that is difficult to put into words. Like at the end of the song you strum that last full chord and it sounds greater than the sum of the six strings. It also had just the right amount of treble/bass/mids; the quality was unmistakable. Creating pinch harmonics was better too.

Anyhow I wanted to capture that exact tone so I went back to the store and they pulled the access plate off of the back of the Gibson Custom and all it had were part numbers, and no k designation. So that is when I called Gibson.

I'm looking forward to tomorrow when the pickups arrive. I know there is more that goes into tone than just the pickups and the pots but I'm hoping to get lucky.