What pickups would a 2003 Les Paul 3 pickup Black Beauty have installed

mjross

Reaction score
I’ve been trying to find info on the pickups installed in the 2003 triple pickup Black Beauty Les Paul but can not find much. I’m really liking the tone but I’m not sure what pickups were installed at the time. The guitar is totally stock. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

kewl kat

Reaction score
Hi MJ,

My guess would be 57 & 57+, but that is just a guess. In the last few years I sold everything older than 2017. I did own a BB for a while, but I did not keep it long, and never checked the pickups. Gibson Customer Service may be your friend on this, not sure. Hopefully someone here truly knows. GL

goldtop0

Reaction score
Burstbuckers most probably. Prior to then(pre 2002 from what I can make of it) they had '57 Classics.
Had BBs in my '03 R0.
Take one out flip it over and have a look. BBs had a white sticker and I think Classics had the reissue PAF sticker as I recall.

mjross

Reaction score
Sometimes I think the PRS idea of marking the top of the pickup is not a bad idea! Nah…

Last edited:

kewl kat

Reaction score
Found a link you may enjoy gloating over for a bit...aludes to 57's in one of the models they refererence.

Best way to know for sure is to flip them over. All the Burstbuckers I ever pulled had a sticker with a number on them too.

The 57's may have white stickers on them also. If I recall correctly when I pulled a 57+ it did.

mjross

Reaction score
Found a link you may enjoy gloating over for a bit...aludes to 57's in one of the models they refererence.

Best way to know for sure is to flip them over. All the Burstbuckers I ever pulled had a sticker with a number on them too.

The 57's may have white stickers on them also. If I recall correctly when I pulled a 57+ it did.
Thanks for the link!

Tim Plains

Reaction score
You can always take the pickups out and look at the underside.

mjross

Reaction score
You can always take the pickups out and look at the underside.
Only as a last resort. My tech will not allow me to mess with my guitars. On occasion it has not ended well! Lol…

Last edited:

spartacus slim

Reaction score
In the last few years I sold everything older than 2017.
Read this and was just wondering if you wouldn’t mind sharing: was this because you considered pre-2017 a cut off point in some way, and if so why?

Reaction score
I’ve been trying to find info on the pickups installed in the 2003 triple pickup Black Beauty Les Paul but can not find much. I’m really liking the tone but I’m not sure what pickups were installed at the time. The guitar is totally stock. Any info would be greatly appreciated.
General Information on the 2003 Gibson Les Paul Black Beauty 3 Pickups
Technical Description:
Manufactured in: Nashville, TN
Top: Carved maple
Back: Mahogany
Binding: Single-ply top
Neck: Mahogany Profile: 1960 Slim taper Peghead
Pitch: 17 degrees
Thickness at 1st Fret: 0.800 in.
Thickness at 12th Fret: 0.875 in.
Heel Length: 0.625 in.
Neck Joint Location: 16th fret
Fretboard: Rosewood Scale length: 24-3/4 in.
Total Length: 18.062 in.
Nut Width: 1-11/16 in.
Width at 12th Fret: 2.062 in.
Frets: 22
Inlays: Yellow Pearloid Trapezoid
Binding: Single-ply Hardware
Plating Finish: Gold
Bridge: ABR-1
Tailpiece: Stopbar
Neck Pickup: 496R ceramic magnet humbucker
Middle Pickup: 496R ceramic magnet humbucker
Bridge Pickup: 500T ceramic magnet humbucker
Controls: 2 volume, 2 tone, 3-way switch

mjross

Reaction score
General Information on the 2003 Gibson Les Paul Black Beauty 3 Pickups
Technical Description:
Manufactured in: Nashville, TN
Top: Carved maple
Back: Mahogany
Binding: Single-ply top
Neck: Mahogany Profile: 1960 Slim taper Peghead
Pitch: 17 degrees
Thickness at 1st Fret: 0.800 in.
Thickness at 12th Fret: 0.875 in.
Heel Length: 0.625 in.
Neck Joint Location: 16th fret
Fretboard: Rosewood Scale length: 24-3/4 in.
Total Length: 18.062 in.
Nut Width: 1-11/16 in.
Width at 12th Fret: 2.062 in.
Frets: 22
Inlays: Yellow Pearloid Trapezoid
Binding: Single-ply Hardware
Plating Finish: Gold
Bridge: ABR-1
Tailpiece: Stopbar
Neck Pickup: 496R ceramic magnet humbucker
Middle Pickup: 496R ceramic magnet humbucker
Bridge Pickup: 500T ceramic magnet humbucker
Controls: 2 volume, 2 tone, 3-way switch
Thank you sir!

zdoggie

Reaction score
in imho the only co .making good pickups is throbak they went for a deep research on metalurgy wire , mags down to the wood that seperates the mags besides they have kz winder and the lessona winder so all bases are covered.

zdog

mrblooze

Reaction score
in imho the only co .making good pickups is throbak they went for a deep research on metalurgy wire , mags down to the wood that seperates the mags besides they have kz winder and the lessona winder so all bases are covered.

zdog
I've always heard good things about Throwbacks, and one of the founders literally co-wrote the book on PAFs...

Leee

Extremism in defense of Liberty is no vice
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m not positive on this, but I’m pretty certain my 2002 ‘57 reissue Black Beauty has Burstbucker 2s in the neck and middle position, and it had a Burstbucker 3 in the bridge.
I know for a fact that the unpotted bridge pickup went microphonic and was replaced with a ‘57 Classic Plus.

It’s currently listed on Reverb if anyone is interested. 20% off that price for a direct buy outside of Reverb.

A11EC977-D639-4AD0-93D4-E8E02D6B7EB9.jpeg

mjross

Reaction score
Thought you might enjoy seeing this (if you had not already)...Like you prior discussed may be a little on the high end, yep.

Not sure your wife would however.... :run: .... but here goes:

P.S. Not sure if you have any experience in purchasing something from Germany, but I have found their stuff overall to be mint or near mint, almost always, especially if they state it's so.
Great guitars! I just got mine back from my tech. I’m diggin it, love the tone. Little heavy but well worth it. However, not as heavy as the Lucille next to it in the pic below (Yes it’s a righty, I play lefty strung righty). Very nice lefty in your posts,

788F6818-B5E6-43F0-B32E-11623626D12E.jpeg

Latest Threads