What pickups for LP custom

chrisjnyc

Reaction score
Looking to put in high output (gold) covered pickups into my custom. What do you suggest? I am thinking of gold Seymour Duncan JB and Jazz. or the BurstBucker 3 .

theycallmegio

Reaction score
I have a JB and 59 set that went in my custom last week.

i really like the set. I have a JB and jazz set in my standard but I haven’t had a chance to A/B them yet.

Duncans just rock in Les Pauls

Hogie34

Reaction score
I have a JB and 59 set that went in my custom last week.

i really like the set. I have a JB and jazz set in my standard but I haven’t had a chance to A/B them yet.

Duncans just rock in Les Pauls
Same here and agree 100%. The JB / 59 set or the JB/Jazz set are a killer combo with a Les Paul if you’re wanting high output. I actually prefer the 59 to the Jazz in the neck though.

1all's Pub

Reaction score
I’ve tried the JB in a couple of LPs, most recently my Silverburst Custom... not a fan. Just no warmth to it. It’s shrill and tinny to my ear.

If I wanted a high output I’d go with the venerable and well loved DiMarzio Super Distortion. Or go with a hot PAF style pickup. The JB and me... no bueno! YMMV

your idol

Reaction score
Never really considered a JB or Jazz as High Output. Honestly being all mahogany something in the 8k range should be more than enough bite and still keep it warm. I love T tops in Customs. I think theyre like PB and J but I do prefer them uncovered. They get real mean

your idol

Reaction score
If you really want something actually high output in gold and dont care about pole pieces these do really well in Customs.

jbash

Reaction score
I’ve tried the JB in a couple of LPs, most recently my Silverburst Custom... not a fan. Just no warmth to it. It’s shrill and tinny to my ear.

If I wanted a high output I’d go with the venerable and well loved DiMarzio Super Distortion. Or go with a hot PAF style pickup. The JB and me... no bueno! YMMV
Yep. JB and Les Paul = High Mids overload. Add some V30s and/or a wah for maximum shrill and hearing damage. JB sounds best in the guitars it was designed for- longer scale Fenders (Tele, in particular)

Going high output in the Duncan lineup, I don't think he's ever made better than the SH-5 (original) Custom for a Les Paul.

But I also prefer the Super D for a ceramic high output pickup.

AJK1

Reaction score
Duncan Saturday Night Specials

ARandall

Reaction score
Yep. JB and Les Paul = High Mids overload. Add some V30s and/or a wah for maximum shrill and hearing damage. JB sounds best in the guitars it was designed for- longer scale Fenders (Tele, in particular)
Yeah.....the honky JB in Les Paul is well known.
Doesn't happen every time, but when it happens its obnoxious.

The Custom is a better fit for the LP. About the same sort of output level but has tighter lows and a bit more top end scream.

dro

Reaction score
I have BB 1 & 2 in my Pancake Custom. Nothing special about em. I look into the Seymore Duncan's

Imperial

Reaction score
What's wrong with the original 490R/498T pickups? In my Silverburst Custom those sound fantastic, and they are not exactly low in output. Maybe try adjusting pickup height first?

AJK1

Reaction score
What's wrong with the original 490R/498T pickups? In my Silverburst Custom those sound fantastic, and they are not exactly low in output. Maybe try adjusting pickup height first?
He just wants to be cool and have aftermarket pickups put in it like the rest of us lol

Last edited:

TXOldRedRocker

Reaction score
He just wants to be cool and have aftermarket pickups put in it like the rest of us lol
I have an LP coming tomorrow with 490's in it. I have two SD HB's sitting and waiting to be put in. If it sounds too good with the 490's, then damnit, I'll have to buy another guitar to put the SD's into. :laugh2:

Deftone

Reaction score
Recently moved to EMG's but used JB's for many years in all my LP's + V30/G12H30 in my cab, love them. JB's are in my SG, Mahogany Charvel Super Strat and Flying V as well. Always warm, crisp and articulate. Brutal low end.

Really liked the 490R/498T combo too.

Shrill? You might be talking about the SD Invader.

My '79 Custom has the original p'ups. No need to change.

My two cents.

geddyleefan

Reaction score
if you want something with searing and cutting tone I highly recommend the SD's Alternative 8. This thing roars without getting muddy and fattens up single note runs and if you go easy on the volume you can even get nice clean shimmering chords

Latest Threads