What pickups are you using (Greco EG-800 is curious)

beedoola

Reaction score
Currently has PU-0 pickups in it. I've had this guitar for a while and its been sitting as I've had it listed for sale but I started to dig it again. From what I could find online the EG-800 came with the PU-2 pickups so I'm not sure if they also came with the PU-0 or maybe someone swapped the pickups at some point.

Anyways they aren't bad pickups but I find the bridge a little bright and the neck a little muddy, at least with my JCM 800 2203 build.

I'm looking for something that will clean up with rolling off the volume. Something that can handle some higher gain crunch.

Roxy13

Reaction score
Chances are you will be going with an aftermarket pickup unless you can find some other Maxon or Fujigen pickups for sale.

I have pickups from several winders in my guitars. Rewind, Sigil, Geppetto, VIP, Chris Carter.

I also have some SDs and Gibson pickups.

And then I've moved some pickups around too. I was like a lotto winner to find some Dry Zs in one of my project guitars that currently reside in a Bacchus. Some Dry 82s that needed some massive cleanup and new life are now residing in my Greco violin custom. I've found some very old SD pickups as well in some of these guitars.

Roxy13

Reaction score
You might want to try 50s wiring too first before giving up on the pickups you have. And adjusting the pickup heights and pole screw heights as well.

And possibly you could consider changing magnets on the pickups. Are those ceramic mags? If they are they might be thicker than alnico mags are. In that case it is harder to do as you might need to change the spacers as well. If they are the same thickness though as alnicos maybe try something different. I tend to prefer alnico IV magnets myself.

BadMongo

Reaction score
You might want to try 50s wiring too first before giving up on the pickups you have. And adjusting the pickup heights and pole screw heights as well.

And possibly you could consider changing magnets on the pickups. Are those ceramic mags? If they are they might be thicker than alnico mags are. In that case it is harder to do as you might need to change the spacers as well. If they are the same thickness though as alnicos maybe try something different. I tend to prefer alnico IV magnets myself.
This is all stuff I'd mess with before putting in new pickups - bridge bright and neck muddy was something I was experiencing as well (and through a modded 1959s with the channels cascaded, not a far cry from a JCM 800) - and pickup height and polepiece adjustment can get a lot of the way there I think. I'd get them so the EQ sounds more where you want it and then assess whether they're tonally deficient for you.

Not sure how you've got them set now, but here's what helped me: dropping the bridge polepieces so the tops are flush with the covers, and raising the neck polepieces so the bottom of the slots is about flush with the tops of the covers. Then lower that neck pickup way down - like flush with or slightly under the ring down, and then adjust the bridge up or down to match volume. From there, dial in the amp EQ with the neck pickup, and then if you're too bright on the bridge, that's what your tone knob is for.

If that's not close enough, magnet swaps are stupid easy and might get you the rest of the way there. My Burny's VH-1s (3rd gen?) opened up completely with an A4 in the neck and A2 in the bridge. The ones I wound to replace them needed the opposite pairing before they sounded right, but I'd tried everything else I had in them before I decided that was it.

Even more than straight EQ tweaks, the height/magnet seem to change a lot in terms of the attack and envelope of the notes - and hitting a sweet spot there makes a world of difference in how it feels to play it IMO. My $0.02.

beedoola

Reaction score
Thanks for those suggestions, guys. I'll try that.

These pickups don't have covers on them. Since I don't have covers what would be your suggested height for the bridge pole pieces?

BadMongo

Reaction score
For sure man! I'd probably start with the screw slots flush with the bobbin on the bridge and about 1.5-2 full turns above it on the neck. With the neck, as you sink it lower it may tilt in the ring some so that the screw side is higher than the slug side - and that sounds different from totally parallel to the ring. My VH-1s loved that sound, my handwounds sound better totally flush. My bridge has the screws as above and is still probably raised so that they're maybe 0.75mm below the strings if I fret the 22nd. Definitely lots of room to play around there.

Another thing worth checking out (and forgive me if you've done this already but I missed it for 25 damn years), but maybe check this out in terms of tweaking your amp settings:
- that was like borderline transformative for me.

Ph03n1x

Reaction score
do they have any labeling to confirm they are that model?
They usually had a sticker that said "Double Trick"

I've got a set of Wolftones in my EGC1000. But the neck seems a little muffled. Looking into a 1M pot to see if that clears it up.

Latest Threads