What pickups are in your Les Pauls ?

cybermgk

“Happiness is the most insidious prison of all"
Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
How do you like the Saturday Night Special set? I’ve been interested in those lately.
Here is the Thread on when I just out them in.

https://www.mylespaul.com/threads/mr-saturday-night-special.380500/

And they do work in my Special, really well. I think they could go better or worse in some guitars.

And I still agree mostly with what I wrote there 5 years ago. Still have them in that guitar. They are still articulate, open sounding, all the things mentioned in that thread,

Are they the greatest pickups out there, for that slightly hotter PAF tone? No. But they are darn good ones. AND for the $210-$220 a pair you can get them for, they are excellent. Really, thats bang for the buck in spades.

AJK1

Reaction score
You like the PG bridge? I have the neck, but have heard mixed reviews on the bridge.
Custom shop Pearlys are totally different to the standard ones
I own two sets and they are killer, especially the bridge

frater106

Reaction score
R9 - Custom Buckers
Epi LP Standard - Seymour Duncan Custom Shop Whole Lotta Humbuckers
SG - 490R/498T
Cort M600 - Seymour Duncan Jazz and 59/Custom hybrid
How do you like the Whole Lotta Humbuckers?

Musha Ring

Reaction score
Well, at first I wasn't over the moon.

I tried them in the two Les Pauls I record the most with then I shelved them for a bit.

After trying the Dirty Fingers + set, a 498/490 set, a Slash APH2 set, a set of 1980 Super Distortions (my favorites), and a modern set of Super Distortions I went back and reinstalled the WLHs.

I've warmed up to them now, especially hearing them in contrast with most of those other sets. I'm not a heavy metal/numetal guy, I play a lot of Thin Lizzy, Sabbath, Zeppelin, Dio, Metallica, GnR, etc. and the WLH set is the perfect set of pups for a lot of that kind of stuff.

They're overwound but are more crisp and brighter in the upper mids than the Super Ds and the Dirty Fingers. The WLH neck is quite clear sounding, though not as much as the APH2 neck.

I can see why they're such a popular set. They're really a jack of all trades and have a genuinely vintage-esque sound and feel. My 1980 Super Ds (I also have a set from 1978) aren't wax potted and they sound and feel fantastic as a result. The WLHs come close to that same airy, open quality.

My only criticism is they risk being slightly generic sounding. I can instantly recognize the other pickups by the way they sound and they each have unique sound "personalities". If I heard the WLHs in a blind test, I'd tell you they sound good, but I certainly wouldn't be able to call them by name nor tell them apart from a variety of other sets.

If this set interests you, know that they're a bit darker and more lo-fi sounding than Duncans characteristically are. If you want something brighter with more crisp, clarity and a little more modern sounding, I would highly recommend the Slash APH2 set.

Last edited:

Guitar Rod

Reaction score
Love them. I originally bought them for a guitar that I was going to experiment with different pickups. They ended up just staying and it's my most used guitar. Classic rock machines.

frater106

Reaction score
Seth’s in one 20 year-old Classic and Burstbucker 1+2 in my ‘18 Traditional. Are there better sounding pickups for each? Most likely is a “Yes” to the question, but these two sets seem to bring out the tones that I expect in relation to the amp that I usually use, an Orange Dark Terror; using only a minimum of amp gain and rely on picking technique to find even more tones.

Classicplayer
I’m actually buying the Dark Terror. How do you like it? How does it do for clean headroom? That’s the only reservation I have.

AJK1

Reaction score
I love it. Perfect PAF tone to my ears.
People still don’t get that there are Custom Shop and Standard run Pearlys
I had a set of the standard ones and they were dark and muddy and flabby
I now have two sets of UNPOTTED Custom Shop Pearlys and they are by far the best pickups I’ve had and sound sublime
Being Unpotted makes a HUGE difference to the tone

frater106

Reaction score
People still don’t get that there are Custom Shop and Standard run Pearlys
I had a set of the standard ones and they were dark and muddy and flabby
I now have two sets of UNPOTTED Custom Shop Pearlys and they are by far the best pickups I’ve had and sound sublime
Being Unpotted makes a HUGE difference to the tone
Is potted vs. not the only difference

cybermgk

“Happiness is the most insidious prison of all"
Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
@Musha Ring has a great take on them above.

But here is at least one thread on them https://www.mylespaul.com/threads/sds-whole-lotta-humbuckers.308749

In a few words, Better version of BB Pros, JB. 59s, with better string to string articulation. Sensitive to height adjustment. ANother where the CS version is slightly different sounding.

AJK1

Reaction score
Custom Shop Pearlys have Long legs, Unpotted coils, Special 42 wire, aged butyrate bobbins and aged covers and a Special wind by MJ
They are double creams under the covers the same as Pearly

Last edited:

MadDane

Reaction score
Just curious to see what pickups are out there in your Les Pauls
I currently have:
SDuncan CS Pearly Gates-Unpotted
Gibson Custombuckers-Unpotted
SDuncan CS Bonamassa Amos-Unpotted
SDuncan CS Angus Young-Potted
Wolfetone Marshallhead with A2 in the bridge and Marshallhead MK II with A5 in the neck. Cannot imagine anything sounding better

frater106

Reaction score
Custom Shop Pearlys have Long legs, Unpotted coils, Special 42 wire, aged butyrate bobbins and aged covers and a Special wind by MJ
They are double creams under the covers the same as Pearly
I've been asking folks what was different about them-you seem to be the first to know.

Nitro

Reaction score
I’ve tried all the stock Gibson pickups and the name brand pickup( Dimarzio Seymour Duncan etc)and the high priced pickups I settled on Kolev pickups, Kris Kolev makes amazing sounding pickups.

jcsk8

Reaction score
Wolfetones Dr. Vintages on both. Two on a "burst" and three in a custom.

Latest Threads