What paint on '02 copper top?

02CT

Reaction score
Hello all new here to mlp forums and NGD for me!!

The GAS was too much and I just bought an 02 studio copper top.

It has a few small chips in the black paint and at the bottom edge it has kind of a gooey spot where the prior owner said the paint reacted with the rubber pad on his stand.

Did the '02 studio copper tops have nitro lacquer paint on the back and sides? The side of the ebony fret board seems to be clearcoated too , as there seems to be a small chip in the clear at the 6th fret wire.

Here is a pic of the beauty
Screenshot_20211201-095928_Chrome.jpg
IMG_2783.jpg

02CT

Reaction score
I know-- the pups, roller Bridge and locking tuners are not oem-- but I got the originals along with the guitar.
The pups are SD alnico 2 pro slash , and the tuners are kluson tone pro lockers

hotshot

Reaction score
Nice lookimg Studio !! Love the color. Happy NGD !!!

02CT

Reaction score
Thanks, pics don't do it justice-- it looks alot more orange in the pics than in person .

Supposedly a solid body ( it weighs 9 pounds 6 oz) -- has '59 neck profile and ebony fretboard

They were limited in number and were only made for 4 years In this color, I've heard numbers ranging from 200-600

Last edited:

02CT

Reaction score
Nice. Those are hard to come by, so nice find. Yes all nitro finish on Gibsons.
Is there a way to test?
Do they have a "clear" over the colors?

I know that nitro lacquer is much easier to repair-spot fix because it "melts" back into itself

Can I spot test in a cavity somehow?

It's just the black that has a few chips-- the copper top is perfect

Last edited:

Christosterone

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Totally badass…
did they make this finish on any bound models? Classic, trad or standard?

-chris

Wrench66

Reaction score
Is there a way to test?

I know that nitro lacquer is much easier to repair-spot fix because it "melts" back into itself

It's just the black that has a get chips-- the copper top is perfect
You could put a drop of acetone somewhere inconspicuous and it will melt the nitro immediately, but I wouldn’t bother. All Gibson’s are nitro. And yes most, if not all, have a clear coat of nitro over the color coat. Beautiful guitar BTW. HNGD!

LtDave32

President and founder of H.U.G.E.
Super Mod
Silver Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Is there a way to test?

It's just the black that has a get chips-- the copper top is perfect

Take our word for it that if it's a Gibson, its NCL.

Don't be messing with lacquer thinner or other solvents to be "sure".

Gold and copper finishes are done by suspending the particles of gold (bronze) or copper flakes in clear nitrocellulose lacquer, then sprayed until full color coverage is achieved. then more clear NCL over that.

These days, they are using mica powders in the laquer instead of actual bronze or copper flake.

It looks richer, and doesn't turn "green".

I've got two different shades of mica "gold" powders in my shop right now, and I must say they look amazing.

Brek

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
i wish the ML used the real deal, sorry to hijack. I would love for mine to develop verdigris over time. I have faked it on one of mine as a repair to a chip.

02CT

Reaction score
Take our word for it that if it's a Gibson, its NCL.

Don't be messing with lacquer thinner or other solvents to be "sure".

Gold and copper finishes are done by suspending the particles of gold (bronze) or copper flakes in clear nitrocellulose lacquer, then sprayed until full color coverage is achieved. then more clear NCL over that.

These days, they are using mica powders in the laquer instead of actual bronze or copper flake.

It looks richer, and doesn't turn "green".

I've got two different shades of mica "gold" powders in my shop right now, and I must say they look amazing.
I've read that all gibbys are lacquer, but I've also seen stuff that said there were a few that weren't. It makes sense that it , that would explain the "melted-goey spot" on the bottom that reacted with the guitar stand rubber.
I tried the black light trick to see if it glowed blue and it kinda looks like it does but it's hard to tell because of it's color.

Thanks for the info guys

Now the next question--- anyone know about production numbers?

From what I've read they were made for 4 years but I've seen everything from 200 total, up to 600 per year.

I contacted gibson for more info and they are no help. They just told me that it was the 93rd guitar made on Sept 13 of 2002 at the Nashville plant
I asked them for specs, and they told me they needed a full front, full rear, close up of headstock front and rear--- I sent pics right away and they javent gotten back to me in a few weeks.

02CT

Reaction score
Do these wiring cavities look correct?
Screenshot_20211204-133300_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20211204-133257_Gallery.jpg

Slashperryburst

Reaction score
I once saw a copper PRS CE24 for 50% off. Turns out some guy had come in to play it and scratched the shit out of the back with his belt buckle. The store knew it was malicious, but didn't catch it in time.

Honestly? It wasn't too bad. 50% off was overly generous if you ask me. Copper is a beautiful finish and I have no idea why it isn't used more. If Gibson came out with a 50s standard in copper top, I'd be queuing up for one.

I didn't buy that PRS, but that was the closest I've ever come to buying one.

02CT

Reaction score
Es137 from same era as my copper top

It doesn't look the same because of the lightning but it's that same color

Screenshot_20211205-072158_Chrome.jpg

Latest Threads