What online courses are you currently taking?

Orange Lester

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I'm currently working through several soloing courses from Jeff McErlain on Truefire. Really trying to push the musicality of my playing forward. Trying to move off the currently pleateau...

If you have not tried Jeff's course content on Truefire, I totally recommend giving him a look.

TheX

I am Varna Sankar
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Ultimate Guide To Reaper with Adam Steel

Barnaby

Reaction score
I'm going through Tomo Fujita's excellent videos on triads and soloing, along with some* of Rick Beato's stuff. Mostly his analyses of Joe Pass's chord/melody voicings. I watch videos a few times, transcribe, practice, then rewatch, repeating the process until the original video makes perfect sense.

* The reason why I clarify that I'm picking and choosing the Rick Beato things is that a lot of his videos either seem to be him ranting about the industry, people he knows or the fact that YouTube keeps giving his uploads copyright strikes, are non-guitar-related, or sometimes contain kinda dubious analyses of harmony. All of those are best avoided from my perspective. However, his Joe Pass stuff is really solid and helpful.

Anyway, a video from either of them is like a lesson, and gives me about a week of practice and study material.

I'm also taking private lessons using Zoom from a guy in London who was Amy Winehouse's guitarist for her last four years, as well as having played in a bunch of other bands and wth all sorts of artists. We were going to do lessons in person, as I was supposed to be living in the UK this year, but...stuff. He's awesome and is sorting out my understanding of alternate chord voicings and other things.

freak

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've subscribed to Steve Stein. He has some decent stuff, mostly 'reiterating' what i already know.
But with someone with terrible ocd, i kinda need the reinforcement.

Orange Lester

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I've subscribed to Steve Stein. He has some decent stuff, mostly 'reiterating' what i already know.
But with someone with terrible ocd, i kinda need the reinforcement.
I had to walk away from the Steve Stein program. I was constantly being bombarded with course after course (marketing spam) ....His content is great, but the rest of it left a sour taste in my mouth...

Barnaby

Reaction score
I had to walk away from the Steve Stein program. I was constantly being bombarded with course after course (marketing spam) ....His content is great, but the rest of it left a sour taste in my mouth...
A lot of the online teachers I have looked at do exactly that, and it's a massive red flag. Content creators I know personally in Japan talk about how they need to spend much more time on promotion than the stuff that they're actually promoting, and I figure it's the same the world over. Who wants a guitar teacher who sees students primarily as tools to grow their business?

If that's what I'm after, I'll just skip the pretence and join a cult. There must be lots around these days.

Stoli

Reaction score
I'm currently working through several soloing courses from Jeff McErlain on Truefire. Really trying to push the musicality of my playing forward. Trying to move off the currently pleateau...

If you have not tried Jeff's course content on Truefire, I totally recommend giving him a look.
I bought Griff Hamlin's "Blues Guitar Unleashed" shortly before Covid turned the world upside down. Some of the lessons are pretty easy and others take a long time to absorb. You can do it online or pay a little more and get a printed book and the CDs. Not knowing the lay of the land I bought the DVDs and book too in case he went out of business. I mostly use the online content. Regardless you get the same content either way. I had stumbled across him at some point and got emails of lessons on the free side almost everyday on just sort of random topics but I liked his teaching style.

The course that I bought is not for someone that just picked up guitar but it is not for an advanced player either. I think that it is designed for someone that maybe wants to start playing in Blues Jams, improve rhythm playing, learn some classic blues licks and solos, etc. It is very Blues specific though, so you need to keep that in mind but Blues is core to most of the music that I like. You guys are probably way ahead of me but I have been trying to take my time with the course and work at it as it comes. Some things come easily and other things take a long time for me to pick up. It is not a here is how to play a song type of course as such but more of here are some techniques used in classic Blues songs.

I enjoy the course and mess with it all the time. I peek ahead on some things that look of interest but try to keep working on the basics before moving on too far. Most all of his lessons have play a-longs and backing tracks that I find helpful and fun. He also documents detailed music sheets and explanations that accompany the lessons in the PDF and book.

With the emails that he sends you he does market other courses that he offers or a monthly subscription to have access to virtually all of his material. He is not over the top with it though and sends you mostly good teaser lessons from the the courses that he offers but his freebies are good stuff. What I bought is enough to keep me occupied and interested in for some time. I find that I do better working on a few specific things that catch my ear and then work on those without a lot of distraction. There is a ton of instruction out there that is probably great but I can only absorb and practice a few things at a time. After that it is work or just confusion, and I do music as a hobby and not a job.

It also seems to be a good jumping off point from a course I took last fall at the local community college as it seems to cover and reinforce a lot of the concepts that I was introduced to.

Stoli

Reaction score
I cannot say that it helps my playing as such but I like some of the Rick Beato "What Makes This Song Great" videos that he has had out there where he takes a song and breaks it down and talks about what he thinks the artist did to make the song great.

Orange Lester

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I bought the book to support the channel. RIck's videos are great and a welcomed distraction

dc007

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I mostly just use online stuff on youtube to learn songs. Stopped any training a good while back. I do try to contribute to those teachers I watch that are set up to receive funds. Lots of work they do on those videos.

bgunckel

Reaction score
I began a couple Steve Stone courses when the pandemic hit, and had to unsubscribe from all the emails. Once I did that, all was well. He has a good teaching style. I’ve also done many of the Griff Hamlin courses, which are well suited for beginners and intermediate players. I’ve done a few Truefire courses... Congelio, McEarlin, and especially Carlton. As for Lick Library I like Danny Gills stuff. And some Texas Blues Alley stuff for Texas blues. Lots of good teachers out there, with some great technology. What I don’t like is the monthly subscriptions. Unless you have an hour to play every day, or more, they aren’t worth it.

MorganPeline

Reaction score
I'm going through Tomo Fujita's excellent videos on triads and soloing, along with some* of Rick Beato's stuff. Mostly his analyses of Joe Pass's chord/melody voicings. I watch videos a few times, transcribe, practice, then rewatch, repeating the process until the original video makes perfect sense.

* The reason why I clarify that I'm picking and choosing the Rick Beato things is that a lot of his videos either seem to be him ranting about the industry, people he knows or the fact that YouTube keeps giving his uploads copyright strikes, are non-guitar-related, or sometimes contain kinda dubious analyses of harmony. All of those are best avoided from my perspective. However, his Joe Pass stuff is really solid and helpful.

Anyway, a video from either of them is like a lesson, and gives me about a week of practice and study material.

I'm also taking private lessons using Zoom from a guy in London who was Amy Winehouse's guitarist for her last four years, as well as having played in a bunch of other bands and wth all sorts of artists. We were going to do lessons in person, as I was supposed to be living in the UK this year, but...stuff. He's awesome and is sorting out my understanding of alternate chord voicings and other things.
Who‘s the teacher? Sounds very interesting. Does he teach mainly Jazz?

F Diminted

Reaction score
I like Guitar Tricks .com. Lots of good info and lessons and you can go from "this is a guitar" to" rock star" level. Your choice.
I personally like Anders Mouridsen.

Me, Way more tools than talent.

simon connor

Reaction score
I looked back at the last nine months and thought "I have been wasting my time, and maybe I've been kind of depressed," and decided that if I'm going to have to go through several more months of this, I want to get better at something. So I contacted my old guitar teacher from 25 years ago, and we started a few weeks ago. It's a little weird taking guitar lessons via zoom, but he immediately homed in on one of my weak spots, and we were off and running. It feels great to have stuff to play that isn't the same stuff I've been doing forever, and to have something new to try to figure out and apply and just generally get my head around. I have to say it feels excellent. Much better than feeling sorry for myself...

Last edited:

JaxLPGuy

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Ultimate Guide To Reaper with Adam Steel
Awesome! Thank you. I love Reaper and I'm ready to start really exploring it.

I've also done some Steve Stine courses but agree that you have to opt out of the emails. I also like Tom Stein (bluesguitarmaster.com). I spot check other lessons here and there. I signed up for a special with Guitar Quest and while a lot of it's been pretty basic, it's also be pretty fun. In the last section we worked through techniques to use in 5 different commercial jingles. In the current chapter I'm learning how to be in a punk band. :cool: It makes it not seem like practice and there's an actual goal at the end of each sectionl

nitrous12

Reaction score
Michael Palmisano does some great reaction videos on YouTube and has covered some artists I already knew and really like, plus has introduced me to some great new bands and guitar players. He listens and reacts to what is going on musically and picks at the theory a bit. He has a fun personality and genuine kid like reactions to this stuff that is really infectious.
Anyway, I then found he has a lesson site called guitargate.com. When COVID hit it was just what the doctor ordered for me. I've been playing longer than I care to admit and was always doing covers. Got good enough that I was lucky enough to play in a top drawing rock band in my area. But I never got much deeper than pentatonics and some real basic theory and ability to improv over some blues progressions. His course quickly gave me a foundation to start building off of and was really easy to follow and retain. At only $10/mo and cancel anytime I highly recommend it!
I've since moved on from it as I felt I got what I could from it. I invested in the all access on TrueFire and pick at some stuff in there now and again. I tend to have something I know I need to work on and go and seek it either in TrueFire or just YouTube where I have a handful of channels I have found really useful. So much great stuff out there.

JaxLPGuy

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've quickly become a fan of Corey Congilio. I've purchased his blues courses on Udemy (still working through them) and a couple on Truefire. I really like his teaching style and he keeps building on the previous lesson feeding you minor changes. I also like that he throws in various inversions to give you more options.

I also reached out to him on a couple of things and he personally responded. Seems like a stand-up guy.

Latest Threads