What MUST CHANGE mod's do you do when you get a new 'other gibson'?

geddy

Reaction score
Nothing. New strings when necessary and a set-up when necessary.

I have replaced a pot, switch and jack plate on my Aria but they were repairs over a period 30+ years.
Also just replaced the nut on my Bich (oooh err!) because it was so badly cut. That's all.

Consarnit

Reaction score
Any time I get a new guitar, regardless of make, I set it up for D'Addario EXL115s. If the guitar has humbuckers, they are generally replaced with Gibson 490s if they are not 490s already. By 'generally,' I mean my Ibanez got a single coil.

geddyleefan

Reaction score
500k and 1meg pots, pio caps
GHS strings anything like 10s, 11s or the Dave Mustaine sets
straplocks
I also like those nifty Grover tuners

frehley2112

Reaction score
Thorough cleaning (gorgomyte and Dunlop 65 Polish and Cleaner) when it's second hand. Some guitars are really filthy. Latest one was an SG Special 60's tribute which must have been bathed in nicotine.

Ditch the old strings. I don't care if they look new. I don't want to have other people's sweat and body fluids on my hands.

Once all that is done, I use it as is for a while and may change things in the long term, after playing it a lot and getting to know its original sound.

The Archer

Reaction score
I just change the strings and do a good cleaning and setup. From there changes depend on the guitar.

Kungphugrip

Reaction score
its a new Gibson there are no must change mods
strings and set up are not really mods but something you should do to any new guitar.
Just get the guitar and Rock!
if you find there is something you dont like,change it
let your hands and ears be the judge and dont waste your
time concerning yourself with kneejerk mods on a new Gibby.

oh and unless your a lifeless mummy on stage like i am:D
strap locks are a good idea

icantbuyafender

Reaction score
Strings, straplocks and setup.

I'll let how it plays an sounds dictate anything further

Never do anything under the hood that isn't necessary except swap an orange drop in

At least enjoy the damn thing as is for a bit lol

Then as time goes by, garnish to taste

Toxicpizza72

Reaction score
..If it already sounds good, I wouldn`t touch it (..from my past history of modding my guitars,single-coils,or humbuckes... I`ve learned,that every kind of mod,is not a promised succes`! .)

...But for an "annoying one/sample`",..-For clearity,I would probably add new pots/potmeters,like the CTS`s (I like them) ,for tone ,and probably new caps/capacitors, -For adding different kind of "cream" to the tone (..Then supposed that your`e the kind of guitarist that`s using them...I know many metal-players dont,LOL) ,Thats it !
...Humbuckers will always be the/a third choice to me ! (..since it is also the most expencive one..and is also about altering the tone most radically!)

:)

xSinner13x

Reaction score
The Three S's
Strings: GHS Nickle rocker 10's
Straplocks: Jim Dunlop's
Set up to my tastes.

And ceramic caps, replaced with Sprague OD's

usually followed at some point a pup change, usually some sort of Seymour Duncan.
Oddly enough the exception being my Epi, it came with a set of Kent Armstrong S-90's already in it.

KrymsinViking

Reaction score
I mainly plan a bunch of shit but never get around to actually doing them. My Epi LPC still needs Blackouts, and that's 3 guitars ago. My Amp needs a retube, and my Explorer has a planned EMG Het Set and new Pickguard, but ill probably buy another guitar before I get around to any of that.

SkyDogJr

Reaction score
Used guitars always seem to have dry fingerboards... Oil the board.

New guitars always have strings that are too light for me...
11-52 (18 plain on the G string) or 12 to 54 (20 plain on the G string)

I set the action and intonation high enough to play slide but still low enough that it's comfortable to play for most people (unless they play on 8's, 9's or 10's with shredder action) Oddly enough, most people can't play my guitars once I've restrung them...

elcajon64

Reaction score
I've always bought used so there's always something to change. Often I start with a husk. No matter what, every guitar gets the Schaller strap locks, set-up & strings, Grover nickel keystone tuners, an SKB case and usually Burstbuckers. If I can get one, a lefty TRC as well.

So the latest one is done:

null_zpsc01a9985.jpg

null_zpsa4aaab7e.jpg

Since the original TRC is blank, I went with a lefty version of this:

null_zpsa2044a3b.jpg

dspelman

Reaction score
All but one of my Gibsons are Pre-1980, and all are completely original. One's a '49, three are '54s, a few are mid-60's, several are mid-70's (none of the latter are LPs).

After all these are the guitars that have the sound that most of the newer ones are trying to duplicate.

I've never considered oiling the fretboard or changing the strings a "mod."

Latest Threads