What models are being discontinued?

Plant man

Reaction score
I hear rumors that the 70s deluxe reissue and certain finishes of the Modern are going to be dropped and they are just going to focus on the main models while selling signature models. Thoughts?

01GT Eibach

Reaction score
Prior to the 2019.5 lineup re-do, everything was model-year based. That resulted in lots of "end of model-year" clearance sales. Those days are over. By having solid model lines not specific to a model year, they can just keep selling that model at the normal price until there are no more. Whether they are still being built or not you will not know until all of a sudden they just stop selling it. As such, the year built is not so much a thing any more. Any particular model that they may have some real inventory issues with they may allow to go on sale over various holidays. For instance, I bought in late 2020 a new 2018 Les Paul Classic Player Plus that was on clearance for $1450. What a bargain that guitar was considering the plus top, neck/body binding, trap inlays, HSC, titanium saddles, and MoP logo. By taking the model year out of the picture now, I think it is safe to say those types of deep clearance sales are gone. Most discounts you get, if any, will only be those provided by the seller and not "deep sale prices" per se. The one exception to that will likely only be "store exclusives" like the GC Trad Pro V, for instance.

Christosterone

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I miss the HP lineup…I know it was whacky naming when coupled with the “T” line but dang, I own 3 HPs and they are bananas

i reckon I’d own more if they were still making them
The heel is divine

-chris

jbash

Reaction score
I do know (well, scuttlebutt is) they are dropping the vermillion and green burst colors for the Slash standards. Those were always listed as short term, but I'm guessing they sell a ton more amber, goldtop, and novembers. Will we see a "red" like the rosso corso or the latest "#4" color?

I'd sure like to see ebony and wine red make it back into the color mix for Standards.

LTigh

Reaction score
Well... damn, if that rumor is true, then that's quite unfortunate.

I'm glad I managed to score my 70s Deluxe before that happens, but it took quite a long time to even find one up for sale locally (try before buy is my usual policy with Gibbys) which may explain why they're choosing to discontinue it, if true.

GMM3OSO.jpg

InTheEvening

Reaction score
I think Gibson should keep their 50s and 60s line up for the purist and make some updates on the Modern series like adding Floyd Rose tremolos and doing more colors.
Agreed! I doubt they’d do it but I’d love to see something like an Axcess model with stainless steel frets too. A proper modern HP Les Paul.

Latest Threads