What model of Grover locking tuners come on a Traditional 1965 Reissue?

BreakerFix

Reaction score
First post, so please don't beat me too badly.

I've been playing since before guitars were invented & I'm still so/so. I just purchased my first Les Paul a few days ago. It's a Traditional (please let me know how this should be said properly) 1965 Reissue [Les Paul] built in 2013. It came (or so I was told & looks) stock with locking Grover tuners. When I went to look at it & decide on purchasing, I didn't notice that one of the locking tuners didn't lock (the guy's girlfriend would NOT shut up). It does work fine as a regular tuner, but I play HARD. I've always babied my guitars. I take EXCELLENT care of them all. But I have a heavy left hand. I bend strings hard & strangle the tones out of my guitars... In a nice way. The guitar is beautiful. At least I think so. It sounds great & is everything I hoped my first Les Paul would be. Except for that XXXXing tuner.

I need to replace the locking Grover tuner that's broken & I'm guessing that means replace the whole set. My thinking is that if I buy the exact set of locking Grover tuners that came on my guitar & replace that tuner. It should be a simple process. No drilling or anything. Just remove the string, use a 7/16 wrench (or socket) to remove the nut on the tuner, use a Phillips screw driver to remove the one screw that holds it in place & off with the tuner. Put the new one on & use the same tools to put in on securely that I did to remove things. Put on a new set of strings & batta bing. I'm back in tune & playing in no time.

My questions are:
Does anyone see a flaw in my plan?
Since it IS a Les Paul, is there some super-secret way for me to purchase just one tuner to replace the broken one? Do you guys have a Les Paul Illuminate that can get me a tuner? or would you have to kill me if you told me? :)
Does anyone know what locking Grover tuners I need?
Does anyone know if there is some website where I can go to look that info up or somebody I can call to find out or something?
Do I need to provide more info on the guitar for that to be known?
If more info is required, what is needed to accurately know what I need to purchase?
The big question, will replacing the tuner with the exact same model effect the resale value, since the guitar wouldn't be all original?
Keep in mind that I'm not actually planning on selling it. I still have my 1964 SG that I bought 40 years ago. Yup. I bought it before I was born.

I GREATLY appreciate any help that I can get on this. Thank you for taking the time to read this. I look forward to checking out this site & possibly helping anyone that I may be able to help.

Hogie34

Reaction score
Call Grover. They might be able to help you by replacing the tuner under warranty, one for one. They did that for me about a year ago.

Just a heads up, your guitar is just a Les Paul traditional. No 1965 reissue about it. Sorry, not trying to be an a**hole , but you may get verbally decapitated by a “Gibson Traditionalist” .

spartacus slim

Reaction score
Call Grover. They might be able to help you by replacing the tuner under warranty, one for one. They did that for me about a year ago.
Yes looks like Grover will replace a defective tuner for a $7.50 shipping charge. Here’s the link to their warranty page:

BreakerFix

Reaction score

Just a heads up, your guitar is just a Les Paul traditional. No 1965 reissue about it. Sorry, not trying to be an a**hole , but you may get verbally decapitated by a “Gibson Traditionalist” .
Hogie 34: Thank YOU! For both statements. I don't take your statement as you being unkind in any way. That said, I DO know the pain of mis-calling a diamond a heart. "Ah, but I was so much older then. I'm younger than that now." I was taller, until I got a couple inches of my head bitten off & my @$$ chewed a few times. Besides that's exactly what I asked for. Again, on both counts. I don't want to intentionally call it the wrong thing. Plus, if there was ever an easy way to tell everyone, "Hey I'm new & I don't know what I'm talking about, but I'm not going to let that stand in my way. I'm still going to tell EVERYONE my opinions. Even if they're wrong". That's the way. Just call something by the wrong name. :cool: I can get myself in a LOT of trouble & get people all up in arms without even trying. I don't need any help at all getting people angry, that's just a "skill" I have (not a very helpful one mind you).

Also, Happy Anniversary! It looks like "It was 20 years ago today, Sargent Pepper taught the band to play." Or 4 years ago today that YOU joined this site. ROCK ON!!

spartacus slim:
WOW! Thank you for the link. This is SO cool & SO helpful. Hey. Am I still sleeping? I must be. A site where people are polite, knowledgeable, helpful AND musicians?? Guitar players in fact??? WHAAAA? It's like being Homer Simpson at Moe's. Only with no beer & it doesn't smell a year old pair of unwashed sweat socks.

I think I'm going to like this site.
I'll post back again when I've contacted Grover & let everyone know how it turned out & so future "Paulers" that have this or a similar problem know what to do.

Thank you.

spartacus slim

Reaction score
Hi BreakerFix, it is of course great to have you aboard! Yup, this forum is definitely a friendly place. Lots of times I have reached out for advice from the gang here and found many people kind enough to take the time to offer it...

Do your locking Grovers look like these: chrome with a round thumbwheel on the back and keystone shaped tuning keys?

BF1B2940-CA69-4065-A32E-F6C2E48C599D.jpeg
D6B43958-0637-4C38-B367-64E997848050.jpeg
E59B00D8-A0D4-4027-9929-517FA5CF0DF4.jpeg

Can’t seem to find these exact tuners on the Grover website, but I think the code for them might beTK-7935-CKEY judging from how the Stratosphere lists them for sale. Don’t quote me on that, though! Maybe someone else more knowledgeable will chime in.

mudface

Boo Bee
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nothing says newb better than saying "I have a 1965 reissue Les Paul" ............ :rofl:

No matter,... worse has been said around here..... enjoy your time at the mad house called MLP. :cheers:

By the way..........we love pics too.

spartacus slim

Reaction score
Seen this model of tuner referred to as model number 502CK Grover 3x3 18:1 Roto-Grip locking Rotomatic tuners with Keystone buttons in Chrome. I think these are the same ones on Amazon:

BreakerFix

Reaction score
Sorry it took me so long to reply. I really appreciate everyone's help on this. The tuner pix look exactly like mine. So does the head stock. Hey, Where's my guitar?? It was just here a bit ago.... Kiddin. I guess it's like when you buy a car. BEFORE you purchase it, you think, "There are almost NO cars like this on the road. I'll be able to spot my new car a mile away". Then once you've purchased your car you think, "Man. Does EVERYONE have a car like mine or what??"

That's almost EXACTLY what my headstock looks like, color & all & those are the "spittin' image" of my tuners too. I talked with my SE at Sweetwater music about my tuners & he turned me on to the same link to the Grover site that you guys already hooked me up with. So then, I spent all morning trying to answer the two question I needed to answer on the Grover site. The fist one, "Full Name". I got that one right off. No prob. But "Enter Product Name: " stopped me cold.
Are they looking for, "Gibson Les Paul" or "Locking Rotomatic tuner" or "Delores" or what? Sorry to be such a bonehead, but since you have done this before successfully. If I could get a little help on what to put for "Enter Product Name: " so I can find out of Grover will send me a replacement tuner, if I send them the $7.50 for shipping. I would be grateful.

Thank you!!

spartacus slim

Reaction score
If I could get a little help on what to put for "Enter Product Name: " so I can find out of Grover will send me a replacement tuner, if I send them the $7.50 for shipping. I would be grateful.

Thank you!!
I’m sure Hogie34 could tell you for sure, but my guess is when they ask for product name they mean the tuner model itself, so probably it’s:

502CK Grover 3x3 18:1 Roto-Grip locking Rotomatic tuners with Keystone buttons in Chrome.

An additional issue will be letting them know if it’s a right or left side tuner...

BreakerFix

Reaction score
Thank you for hanging with me on this. I greatly appreciate it. I submitted my request to Grover. I also S L O W E D down & scrolled down & read all the way to the bottom of the page on their site. It looks like it may not be that important to have all the info, since (if I'm reading it correctly) they wait for the customer's item to arrive, then they try to fix it & send back the same item (only repaired). If they're not able to repair it, THEN they'll send a replacement.

That said, I'm not sure I want to be without my guitar that long. I guess I could play on 5 strings.... Hmmmm. Nah. I may just kick in the $70 - $100 & buy a set of tuners if I can find them. They're unavailable on your Amazon UK site. I can't even find ANY in the US. I'm thinking maybe I can just take the keystone buttons off of mine & put them on another set of locking Grovers. After looking at your pictures & my tuners about 1000 times, I'm getting delirious. I'm wondering if my tuners are Nickel rather than chrome. I'm seeing some Gibson tuners that look exactly like mine (except the they're not locking tuners) that are Nickel plated.

Does anyone know if they made these tuners with Nickel plating too?

Thank you again for all the help!

spartacus slim

Reaction score
I'm wondering if my tuners are Nickel rather than chrome. I'm seeing some Gibson tuners that look exactly like mine (except the they're not locking tuners) that are Nickel plated.

Does anyone know if they made these tuners with Nickel plating too?
If you post some pics here (use the ‘attach files’ button when you create a reply) I’m sure someone can tell you if your hardware is nickel or chrome.

As far as I recall, the 2013 Tradittional Pro ii came with chrome hardware, but maybe there are others here that could confirm 100%.

spartacus slim

Reaction score

BreakerFix

Reaction score
Thank you. As soon as I pulled out an older set of tuners that I KNEW were nickel, I can say for absolute certainty that you guys are TOTALLY correct. Mine are Chrome. Just like yours are. I must have been tired. I usually don't mistake chrome & nickel. I'm really glad you guys wouldn't let me purposely drive off the road, down the sidewalk & up a tree just because I told you I know what I'm doing. I don't know what I'm doing. I almost never know what I'm doing. You saved me on that one too.

Also before I head off on another needless adventure, I need to share a couple of things.
1) I filled out the form so that Grover would send me a new tuner. I did that the other day. Saturday or Sunday. I think it was Saturday. Grover responded yesterday. Basically the next day. They were great. Very friendly & helpful.

2) I decided to follow spartacus slim's link to Reverb & I purchased a whole brand new set of identical tuners for $65. I just did that a few minutes ago. It was too easy. Since you did all the work for me, All I had to do is click a button & that was it. $65?? That's a GREAT price. Especially when I couldn't even find them for ANY price!! Thank you!!! They look just exactly like what I have on my guitar & you guys have on yours. That's less than $11 a tuner!! I should have them by the weekend even with Thanksgiving being on Thursday. I'm in the same time zone as the tuners!

I just can't say enough, how grateful I am for all the help I've been getting. It may sound silly, but you guys will be on my list of things I'm thankful for when my wife & I sit down for our Thanksgiving meal. Is there something I can do to repay or show my appreciation for all the help I've gotten on this site, I would be honored to do so.

I'm not going anywhere just yet, but I do want to do something helpful & useful.

T H A N K Y O U !!

Last edited:

Hogie34

Reaction score
Sorry Breakerfix, working on an important contract the last few days and didn’t see your post. You got your question answered though.
Is it one of the smaller gauge strings that the tuner will not lock onto? I had an issue with one that wouldn’t clamp down tight enough on the D string. I switched it around with the Low E and everything worked out ok. Might want to give that a try.

spartacus slim

Reaction score
Thank you. As soon as I pulled out an older set of tuners that I KNEW were nickel, I can say for absolute certainty that you guys are TOTALLY correct. Mine are Chrome. Just like yours are. I must have been tired. I usually don't mistake chrome & nickel. I'm really glad you guys wouldn't let me purposely drive off the road, down the sidewalk & up a tree just because I told you I know what I'm doing. I don't know what I'm doing. I almost never know what I'm doing. You saved me on that one too.

Also before I head off on another needless adventure, I need to share a couple of things.
1) I filled out the form so that Grover would send me a new tuner. I did that the other day. Saturday or Sunday. I think it was Saturday. Grover responded yesterday. Basically the next day. They were great. Very friendly & helpful.

2) I decided to follow spartacus slim's link to Reverb & I purchased a whole brand new set of identical tuners for $65. I just did that a few minutes ago. It was too easy. Since you did all the work for me, All I had to do is click a button & that was it. $65?? That's a GREAT price. Especially when I couldn't even find them for ANY price!! Thank you!!! They look just exactly like what I have on my guitar & you guys have on yours. That's less than $11 a tuner!! I should have them by the weekend even with Thanksgiving being on Thursday. I'm in the same time zone as the tuners!

I just can't say enough, how grateful I am for all the help I've been getting. It may sound silly, but you guys will be on my list of things I'm thankful for when my wife & I set down for out Thanksgiving meal. Is there something I can do to repay or show my appreciation for all the help I've gotten on this site, I would be honored to do so.

I'm not going anywhere just yet, but I do want to do something helpful & useful.

T H A N K Y O U !!
I’m so pleased that you will soon have your Lester back to 100%, and just happy to hear that I was able to be helpful in some way. Great to hear also that Grover responded so quickly and were friendly. Sounds like you’ll soon have a full set of spare tuners which is a much more useful thing to have than an incomplete set of 5!

The only other advice I can think of in terms of completing the tuner change-over is to be sure to use a correct size screwdriver that fits the heads of the tuner mounting screws tightly when removing them and installing a new tuner - the heads on those little screws can get chewed up and striped quite easily by an ill-fitting screwdriver, which then makes them a nightmare to turn...

Hope you & your wife have a great thanksgiving - I’m sending my very best wishes to you both from Scotland.

BreakerFix

Reaction score
Thank you!!
I finally got my new tuners yesterday. I haven't put them on yet for the exact reason you stated above. I do plan on doing that today though. Your advice on using the correct screw driver should be emboldened & 100 meters tall! I can't even BEGIN to count the number of screws I've mucked up over the years from being impatient & just jumping right in, when I should have taken my time & tested a few screw drivers to see which one fits best. Your advice should probably be at the top of every page.

My younger brother is a Journeyman Carpenter AND a Master Mechanic (he got all the wood working & mechanical skill & I got a little musical "talent"). When we were kids, I often talked him into "helping me" make speaker cabinets & stuff. Usually that meant I held stuff & handed him tools & generally tried to stay out of his way. That was a LONG time ago. About 2 years ago I was working on a guitar & being slow to learn & "screwdriverly challenged", I had done exactly what you just warned against & I had partially stripped out the heads on screws on my tuners. Just before I messed them up to the point of total loss, I stopped & called my brother to get some advice. I'm 18 months older than he & we've worked on it seems like a million projects together. After ALL these years & countless projects he told me very "matter-of-fact-ly", "I probably go through 20 screw drivers before I find THE one that fits properly & that's the one I pick to use". I almost jumped through the phone & strangled him. I asked, "Where has THAT advice been for the last 40 years????" That's my bro. How many times could I have used THAT advice over the years? Hard to say. Would I have listened or even paid any attention? Probably not. Maybe I need to write that on the back of my hands or something. That way, JUST when I'm about to use the wrong screw driver for the millionth time, I'll think, "Hey, what's that say on the back of my hand there?"

I do have one thing to add here just in case somebody reads this in the future. Once one has used the proper screwdriver to remove the screws & one is about to screw in the screws on the new tuners (or anything that requires screws) a GREAT way to keep the screw heads in tact is to drag the tip of the screw's threads through some wax before screwing the screw in. Wax works best, but a bar of soap will do in a pinch. That can be especially useful for those of us who are dangerous with a screwdriver. It makes screwing a screw into wood like screwing a screw into butter. OK. I've never actually screwed a screw into butter, so I actually don't know for SURE what that feels like, but the wax thing makes it so easy to screw in a screw even I can do it without causing damage. It's so easy that it almost feels like the screw is not going in securely, but it is. This "trick" works on any screw. It's especially helpful on those "F word" guitar necks. You know, "FendXX" guitars. Oops. I almost said it.

Thank you for all your help & reminding me ONE MORE TIME to slow down & use the right tool for the job. Lester is too important & expensive to screw up (no pun intended). I've got about 50 Phillips screwdrivers too, so I have NO excuse for not doing this properly. Do I need to close this thread in some way or do I just, "say 'Thank you kindly' & ride off into the sunset" or something like an old American cowboy?
"I'll be back"....:jb:

Last edited:

BreakerFix

Reaction score
1. 2013
2. Locking Tuners
3. Traditional

That would be a 2013 Les Paul Traditional Pro II

Regular Les Paul Traditionals have non-locking Kluson style tuners.

No Les Pauls were built from 1961-67.
Why yes, I am a spaz. Somehow I missed the info you provided. I just had to come back & say Thank you for this GREAT info. Plus, as was pointed out by a few kind (& humorous) folks, nothing says "Newbee" like calling your own stuff the wrong thing.. Where would I be without you guys helping me with EVERYTHING? I'd be even more of a mess than I am. Somehow.

OK. This time, I"m REALLY Leaving.... Riiiiiiiggggghhhhtttt..... Now.

Latest Threads