What MIJ LPs had amazing stock pickups: Dry Z, etc.

beedoola

Reaction score
I have a chance to get a 78' Greco EG 800 with the PU-0 Pickups in it. Reading a bit I see people like the PU-2 and Dry Z a lot more.

I've owned a couple MIJ LP guitars from Greco, Aria, and Orville. Often I've swapped the stock pickups out as I didn't care for them. And despite the guitars themselves being good compared to their "name brand" competitor, I ended up selling them not selling being totally enthralled with them.

Which has brought me to finally being willing to pay the possibly needed extra coin for a higher quality guitar but also one that may come with excellent pickups - and not send me on a further journey of finding which pickups to put in it.

What MIJ LPs had exceptional pickups in them? I've read the higher model Grecos had the Dry Z: Did this occur consistently for a certain period of time? Which models? Other makers and models/pickups you think highly of?

jimmyjames

Reaction score
Greco Super Real EGC1000, AND EGF1200, 1980-1981, are the entry to Grecos that had Dry-Zs as standard. In the 1200's case, I can verify that the body resonance/pickup combination is a testament to how seriously they strove to get "that" tone :yesway:

Roxy13

Reaction score
Crews Maniac Sound with NFS Weeps might be an option.

MCT

Reaction score
I’ve got a set of NFS Weeps for sale if anyone’s interested...

dkbluetiger

Reaction score
These Kasuga mini humbuckers sound really sweet :)
Kasuga did not outsource anything in the production like many other MIJ manufactors.

Attachments

• DSCF5560.JPG
    DSCF5560.JPG
    332.1 KB · Views: 12

villager

Reaction score
they think they will get stupid money for them... lol .. they wont ..

free713

Reaction score
they think they will get stupid money for them... lol .. they wont ..
That may be true. When all is said and done they are still indeed very very nice boutique pickups. Just as good as any Ive ever tried. Well thats my to cents. How do you rate them, Mark?

SWeAT hOg

SWeAT hOg
Reaction score
I had a Vantage ES-335 copy made at the Matsumoku plant. They had pickups labeled ‘MK 61’. They were excellent, nice and bright.

Latest Threads