What makes you buy multiple les pauls that are similar

Reaction score
Different tunings.

Keep my Standard in standard (har :p) and my Epi in open G. Changing tuning is no biggie, but I am kind of an intonation freak, so I like having separate guitars for each.

BuzzHaze

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
All of my 4 Les Pauls have different pickup sets, not to mention 2 of them have maple necks and only 2 are weight relieved. They all sound and feel different to me.

2005 Custom, mahogany neck with Seymour Duncan pickups
2001 Standard, mahogany neck with 498T/490R pickups
1980 Standard, maple neck with Shaw pickups
1979 Custom, maple neck with 3 TTop pickups

My 76 Explorer has Bill Lawrence tar-backs so I've got a lot of bases covered. I'd still like to get something with P90's.

I don't feel like there's much redundancy in my group, and I still could use 2-3 more.

zontar

Reaction score
I don't have multiple Les Pauls--even if you count my LP copy, it's quite different than my Les Paul.

If I gigged, I'd have a back up.
But I don't--so I have variety--and while there are ways I could have a solid body that's different from the ones I have, if I get another guitar, I'd prefer to get an acoustic, a semi hollow or a reso--just to be more different.

suedehead

Reaction score
Buy the same colour but different models so the missus doesn't realise what you're up to.

titovanburen

Reaction score
Peer pressure and poor money management skills....that, and the fact that one has hotter modern pickups and one has vintage output pickups...which is great for making an album with a variety of sounds.

roeg

Reaction score
i could do just fine with one...but at this point in my life i can play quite well,and it has increased my appreciation and enjoyment of the subtler differences each of my Pauls brings to the table.I'm not about to change to the type of electric i play,i;m at home with a LP.5 is the right number for me( my R8 being latest addition)

Lebo

Reaction score
Different pickups, diferent profiles, diferent woods, different finishes, different neck an radius, different frets and fretboard, and the most important thing about a guitar like the les paul one's is that everyone of them is different, so different guitar and a complete different feeling

NRBQ

Reaction score
I mean like more than one Trad Plus or Pro, Standard, Custom, Studio.

I was thinking of buying a new Standard, or another Trad Plus but I have a Trad Plus and was kinda thinking why would I buy another guitar of the same ilk other than a different color maybe. I know the Standard is different than the Traditional and has some new things to it.

I've seen pictures of other peoples amazing collections and wondered the same thing. Sometimes you see 5, 6 or more LP's that look like the same configuraton and I wonder how they decided to get so many of the same guitars. I guess they aren't really the same but I've always wanted one of everything. Like an LP with humbuckers, an LP with mini buckers, a guitar with p90's an acoustic one 6 string and one 12 etc.

Guess it can also come down to cash, if you have enough money to buy lots of guitars why not. If that was me my thing of having one each might fly right out the window. So far I have eight instruments and each fills a different nitch.

I have a LP Traditional Plus with humbuckers, an American Series Strat, a MIM Roland Ready Strat with a GR-33 synth, a Xaviere Tele for keeftuning and a Rockabilly sound, a Ibanez SR300 Bass, an Xaviere acoustic 6 string, an Ovation Balladeer 12 string, and a Fender Mandolin. Eventually I'd like to add a Gibson style 335 with p90's, a real LP Delux GT with mini's humbuckers and then I'll have most everything I want. Of course everything is subject to change but the 8 I have now plus those two will be a pretty nice stable of happy.

Attachments

• My Guitar Center Wall 002.jpg
    My Guitar Center Wall 002.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 9

NRBQ

Reaction score
I buy guitars because it keeps me from spending money on drugs, alcohol and hookers.

I spend most of my money on the important things in life, drugs, alcohol, hookers, and guitars, the rest I just piss away.

blues_man_zep

Reaction score
None sound exactly alike, different pickups, maybe one with a bigsby something like that. Maybe ones in drop d or open e. Who knows.

leocuellar

Reaction score
You can use one for slide (higher action) another for an alternative tuning and you don't lose time onstage re-tuning your main guitar, and of course as many have said, different pickups and configurations...

Guitar 101

Reaction score
3 les pauls. one with dimarzios superdistortions, one with burstbuckers 1 & 2, third with 490R & 498T. Love them all. Currently in a hunt for a R9 lemon burst, my life would be complete for a while after that.....I think.

Shortscale

Reaction score
The question itself is flawed. Change the words Les Pauls to: cats, dogs, cars, hookers or any Apple product... Either way the answer is 'Because we can!'

omfug4life

Reaction score
Different pickups, materials...looking for "the one" but can't bare to sell a LP

icantbuyafender

Reaction score
Honestly for me it just comes down to the fact that no two guitars sound or feel alike. I used to have a second trad. plus that was exactly like my first one, I got them both as graduation presents from different people and ended up getting the same model, year, and even the same ice tea burst finish! but I ended up selling one just because I never bonded with it, the first one however I will NEVER sell! ;)

Geez I wish people gave me $1500+ gifts for graduation... highschool or when i got my bachelors.

Helluva gift from ANYONE.

I still dont own a standard, tho i owned a studio i got at a great deal but did not bond with one bit.

Im gonna end up buying 2 p-90 tribute studios.... preferably 50's...

keep one stock and drop minis in the 2nd.

Then a 50's tribute with buckers.

Then Im all set.

Jakeislove

Reaction score
If I played out a second one would make sense.

As for right now, I'd rather concentrate on playing than getting new guitars. Honestly, my guitar sounds incredible and there are really only a few sounds I can't get it to make. 10% of whatever sound I can't get is probably amp related, the other 90% is my own limitations. :)

Latest Threads