What makes the SG have 'the thing' that the Les Paul doesnt have..

BigJim

Reaction score
My first "real" electric was an 80s Firebrand SG. Played the piss out of it, traded it towards a hockey stick necked Kramer (it was the 80s).

I'm the "Derek Trucks" in my band, playing his slide parts on the TTB songs we cover. I can pull it off on my Les Pauls, but getting to the high registers to get to that "high E" is not easy.

So many modern reissue SGs have historically accurate skinny necks, so I haven't pulled the trigger yet.

I really want to try a 64 Reissue SG, but haven't seen any around here yet.

Brazilnut

Reaction score
My first "real" electric was an 80s Firebrand SG. Played the piss out of it, traded it towards a hockey stick necked Kramer (it was the 80s).

I'm the "Derek Trucks" in my band, playing his slide parts on the TTB songs we cover. I can pull it off on my Les Pauls, but getting to the high registers to get to that "high E" is not easy.

So many modern reissue SGs have historically accurate skinny necks, so I haven't pulled the trigger yet.

I really want to try a 64 Reissue SG, but haven't seen any around here yet.
My 2004 had a bigger neck. Might try to find that year.

ArchEtech

Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
They aren’t fragile. The necks do dive a bit on some of them. Sometimes they don’t stay in tune as the lighter guitar and less bulky neck and joint seem less stable - that’s only my anecdotal experience though.

I live SG’s. I used to play them over LP because of the weight and necks. I’ve since started playing single cuts with lighter sculpted thinner bodies and smoother heels. It’s kind of the best of both worlds.

I still love an SG with 57’s though. Major rock machine.

BigJim

Reaction score
My 2004 had a bigger neck. Might try to find that year.

I have been through a few SGs since I posted this, a 2014 GS Limited Edition 61 Standard, 2007 CS 61 RI.

The 07 is staying, it's perfect for what I need, the neck isn't super thin, I'd call it a "happy medium".

ajory72

Reaction score

What makes the SG have 'the thing' that the Les Paul doesnt have​

It’s a good question really and I’ll explain my thoughts:
I was always a Les Paul man and still love them, my favourite players either played an SG or Strat, but because a couple played Les Paul’s I fell into the whole “can my LP sound like their burst” trap… (maybe if I change the p/ups.. caps… tuners… bridge)…but alas it was a futile effort for me. The odd thing was I never bought an SG, I believe it was the whole Angus Young & AC/DC connection and as I live in Australia anyone pulling out an SG when I was a kid would be expected to know how to play Highway to Hell or Dirty Deeds. lol.

Skip 30yrs to 2021, Covid and my realisation that rumours regarding Gibson guitars being far better now that Henry has moved on - I found myself looking for the next GAS reason to buy!

A random YouTube video showing these young guys that sounded like a modern Led Zeppelin left me gassed out over the guitarists real 61 SG, with sideways vibrato (I had to have one!… but how?)

Turns out the the 61’ SG Standard w/Sideways vibrato brought back from extinction by Gibson in 2019 ticked a lot of boxes for m, also I would turn 50 and so I convinced the missus and myself I MUST buy one!

The 61’ SG is light, has amazing tone from its great pickups, the access up the fretboard is so easy and accessible that I find I play more of the neck than ever before- it’s a joy to play and is such a well laid out and inspiring guitar….such a great guitar that all my other guitars now just stay in their cases. Now when I dream of the next contender I think of the SG Custom mmm custom headstock on 3 pickup SG!

Latest Threads