What makes the SG have 'the thing' that the Les Paul doesnt have..

Rogueaverage616

60Th Anniversary R9
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hmm, mine is the opposite,last December i got an email ,sales add from a Guitar shop.I never shopped at before,so i went to check the vintage and used section, and my dream SG,was there in Excellent condition, for $2800, deal’ed my way to $500 off and i had to grab it.A 2016 Gibson SG Standard Historic, cherry red with the Maestro vibrola.

The guitar,plays realy easy and well like all my Custom Shop Gibsons,however my SG is darker sounding, with my Klon, or my MI Audio Super Crunch box, it just ,well...Crunches mean hard rock sounding.However i cant seem to get it to be abke to clear its throat on the neck pickup position, and give me that “Bell” like tone, its very Tone rolled back sounding.However i absolutely love the guitar and since i dont ever change pickups in my Especially Custom Shop guitars, thats the way she is,...but yeah i would have liked her to clear out a bit on the neck position...heres some Eye Candy ...Note the Montreux Time machine collection poker chip,and Nickle plated Brass “Domed” ABR-1 Thumbwheels, for Vintage correctness

Attachments

pmonk

Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
My next guitar will be a Gibson SG Standard '61 with Maestro Vibrola

Rogueaverage616

60Th Anniversary R9
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
My next guitar will be a Gibson SG Standard '61 with Maestro Vibrola
Yes, thats what mine is.What Gibson calls a 60’s Standard Historic with the Maestro Vibrola.Technically though, 1961 would have come with the sideways Vibrola, my SG, and the one you want is roughly a 1963 spec

cybermgk

“Happiness is the most insidious prison of all"
Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Totally agree.
At least with the LP Specials and Juniors, they are flat slab bodies with a radius edge around the body. I also prefer the Double Cut for better upper fret access like the SG.

An LP with a carved top and sharp edges around the body is very uncomfortable for me to play after any extended period of time. I had a few in the past, but let them go in favor of the SG and LP Junior DC.
Um
lpspcl1.JPG

lpspcl2.JPG

pmonk

Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes, thats what mine is.What Gibson calls a 60’s Standard Historic with the Maestro Vibrola.Technically though, 1961 would have come with the sideways Vibrola, my SG, and the one you want is roughly a 1963 spec
The Gibson Custom 1964 SG Standard Reissue With Maestro Vibrola VOS is what I want, what I want to spend is the Gibson SG Standard '61 with Maestro Vibrola

Rogueaverage616

60Th Anniversary R9
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Gibson Custom 1964 SG Standard Reissue With Maestro Vibrola VOS is what I want, what I want to spend is the Gibson SG Standard '61 with Maestro Vibrola
Thats basically what mine is VOS vintage reissue maestro

brianbzed

Reaction score
I have been playing Les Pauls since the start. I rarely visit shops and when I do, I try Les Pauls.

Recently a friend gave me a visit and instead of the usual LPs, he brought a '61 SG VOS Maestro with him. That thing sounded awesome. Eventually we made a deal and Im now the new owner.

It has that... Bite.. It is less warm, but it has soo much more bite than my 2003 Brazilian '59. I guess bite is the proper word to describe how it sounds.

I am not sold on the body shape, looks of the SG, its fragile heel area and the neck diving, so it will be put up for sale.

However, I am wondering what makes the guitar have this.. 'Thing'? Is it the thin mahogany body or is it all the metal parts of the maestro vibrato... Not sure.
I think "bite" is the word on SG's.......even though I always called it "growl"....FWIW

Brazilnut

Reaction score
No matter what model or year, hum bucker-equipped SGs all have that upper midrange sweetness. Whenever I use a Les Paul onstage, the bass player complains. He misses those clear highs. But cranked, an SG will still thunder almost like an LP, if it's properly EQed. Like the OP said, SGs have their quirks, neck dive being the worst, but that tone is undeniable.

Brazilnut

Reaction score
And thanks to the Kitty for that live performance of "Black Velvet". Just excellent!

Nintari

Reaction score
Probably the pickups, as is the case for most tonal differences between electric guitars.

Mojojones

Reaction score
Curious if you could name them? There’s so many humbucker or traditional single coil players. I haven’t heard of as many P-90 players, and am interested to know more.

Cheers!
Early Santana woodstock etc. Pete Townsend live at Leeds woodstock etc., Leslie West in Mountain, just about everyone punk

fernieite

Reaction score
Could also add (off the top of my head) George Harrison, John Lennon, Paul McCartney, Martin Barre, Tony Iommi, Keith Richards, Bob Marley, Robby Krieger, Neil Young, Dean Deleo, Mick Jones, etc, etc...

Last edited:

Latest Threads