What makes the SG have 'the thing' that the Les Paul doesnt have..

Wuuthrad

Reaction score
I like guitars with upper fret access. The top upper bout on a Les Paul gets in the way. I also think that a single wood contributes to tone differently than one with a cap of different wood. It’s something you can feel and hear but descriptions are difficult.

Wuuthrad

Reaction score
I chased humbuckers for entirely too long before realizing the most influential guitarists in my experience played P90s..
Curious if you could name them? There’s so many humbucker or traditional single coil players. I haven’t heard of as many P-90 players, and am interested to know more.

Cheers!

CB91710

Premium Member
Reaction score
Thank you! I can look into Tom Scholz as I’m pretty familiar with the other guitarist on your list.

I wonder if @Stinky Kitty will add a few?
In fairness, the personality of the P90s doesn't really come through with Scholz. Boston is pretty heavily processed.
But the tone of the P90 is closer to that of a PAF than it is to a Strat.

Wuuthrad

Reaction score
I’ll bet it’s used in more recordings than might be given credit for. Then guys would play humbuckers on stage to prèvent feedback etc.

Is the P-90 the same as the Jazz guys were using in the past?

btw i don’t know why there's a line showing up over the e sometimes it’s bugging me

ARandall

Reaction score
^ P90's suffered from noise, not feedback. On a recording that would have been more of an issue than live.

Tom Scholz I think had a super D in the bridge of his original LP, so its only his neck tone that was p90.

Stinky Kitty

Reaction score
Curious if you could name them? There’s so many humbucker or traditional single coil players. I haven’t heard of as many P-90 players, and am interested to know more.

Cheers!
In addition to some of the ones listed previously, here are some:

Neil Young
Steve Marriott
Leslie West
Martin Barre
Bob Marley
Joan Jett
Johnny Thunders
Daniel Lanois
David Gilmore
John Lennon
Wes Montgomery
Robbie Krieger
Mick Jones

..there are probably a few others that haven't come to memory

Herbie74

Reaction score
My main guitar is an SG. I wish we could dispel the weak neck joint myth. The joint is fine and if you have the right tuners neck dive isn’t usually an issue. Anyway it’s all of it:

thinner body
No maple cap
Pickup closer to bridge
And of course the horns

CB91710

Premium Member
Reaction score
Is the P-90 the same as the Jazz guys were using in the past?
Traditional jazz boxes had the "dogear" covers on P90 type pickups. The "soapbar" was a later development... not sure if the LP was the first to use it or not.

The P90 differed from the Fender Jazzmaster pickup, though both were lower profile and had wider coils than the Strat/Tele bobbins.
The Jazzmaster was a bit wider and more shallow than the P90.

Pappy58

Reaction score
I think the thought that SG has more bite is an accurate description. My 96 standard has original 57 Classics. It's has more of a raw open uncompressed tone vs my Les Pauls. The Lesters are fatter and the tone is smoother and sustain is much increased. I agree with @mdubya thats it a combination of all factors (Neck Joint, Body mass, etc). I keep mine Open E and use it for Johnny Winter and Duane type things playing with a slide. I have no issues with neck dive at all. Balance and comfort wise it is the better axe! :cheers2:

bosnialove

Reaction score
What everybody does not mention is the difference in the angle of the strings after the abr1 to the tailpiece. Because my guitar has the meastro and low action, there is almot no angle, similiar to top wrapping. Top wrapping gives the guitar a slightly different sound. My LP does have much more angle to it.

matthew bear

Reaction score
All I know is SG's are so awesome when they jive with you... I never have the inspiration SG's provide when I plug into my LP's. That said, My Oroville LP is my go to for tracking heavy tones.

I also found the The Gibson RD shape has the feel of an SG, with the girth of the LP, sonically. the way the narrowest part of the body is right above the bridge pickup just moves your hand position into a great spot (IMO). the RG and SG are my 2 favorite Gibson shapes :)

Wuuthrad

Reaction score
Gimme my stimulus! I want to get an SG HP with titanium nut. These adjustable metal nuts are so good for open tunings/alternate tunings...

Latest Threads