What makes the SG have 'the thing' that the Les Paul doesnt have..

bosnialove

Reaction score
I have been playing Les Pauls since the start. I rarely visit shops and when I do, I try Les Pauls.

Recently a friend gave me a visit and instead of the usual LPs, he brought a '61 SG VOS Maestro with him. That thing sounded awesome. Eventually we made a deal and Im now the new owner.

It has that... Bite.. It is less warm, but it has soo much more bite than my 2003 Brazilian '59. I guess bite is the proper word to describe how it sounds.

I am not sold on the body shape, looks of the SG, its fragile heel area and the neck diving, so it will be put up for sale.

However, I am wondering what makes the guitar have this.. 'Thing'? Is it the thin mahogany body or is it all the metal parts of the maestro vibrato... Not sure.

mdubya

Reaction score
In my experience, SG's and V's have a mid focus where LP's (I think it is due to the neck joint with the LP neck being deep set into the body - jmho) have a broader tonal spectrum with all of the mids, but also having more lows and highs.

The light weight and the neck placement make SG's and V's feel more like weapons, too, imho.

While I probably prefer the architecture of my SG's and Firebirds and 335's, I truly appreciate the unique tone that lets you know your are playing a Les Paul. It is always inspirational to me. So I come from the opposite approach to where you are coming from.

mdubya

Reaction score
I have an LP Special and an SG Classic that are both slab mahogany with P-90's. They sound different, though. Neck joint. IMHO. :jam:

bosnialove

Reaction score
Hmmm... I should check what kind of pickup the bridge pup is... It sounds so good.

bosnialove

Reaction score
It thought it was due to the different construction of the guitar. The guy from who I got it from told me the neck pup is a custom wound one, but the bridge one is original. That is the reason why i didnt bother to check it and therefore i thought it sounded so good because it is a sg and not because of the pickup.

Stinky Kitty

Premium Member
Reaction score
My 92 SG Std vibrates almost like a tuning fork. It's the most vibrant and alive solid body in the herd here. The stock pickups never sounded better in any other guitar I've had so far. I dropped in a set of 72 T-Tops, and just wow. James Gurley tone forever.. The 89 SG 90 Double is not far behind in resonance..

bosnialove

Reaction score
Check out how much closer the bridge pickup is to the... bridge. ;)
Damn, I forgot about this. This might exactly the reason.

My 2003 Brazilian kills the SG based on resonance. I sustain also much longer. But that sound that I like so much is exactly the sound that you get when your bridge pup is placed closer to the bridge than usual. Thanks!

Pete M

Reaction score
I'm not going to join the circle jerk, but in my experience the different body shapes mostly make a difference in unplugged sound. I think the reason SGs sound awesome is the late PAF/patent number pickups with alnico 5s. That's the sound that speaks to me personally. It doesn't really matter what shape your guitar is.

bosnialove

Reaction score
Its true. Just pick close to the bridge on a les paul and you get the same sound. the difference is that youll get the same sound on a sg when you pick at the start of the bridge pup.

moreles

Reaction score
My 92 SG Std vibrates almost like a tuning fork. It's the most vibrant and alive solid body in the herd here.
This is my experience also. My SG is more present than my LP or other LPs. I guess the LP has more tonal range, but not in any way that I or anyone actually uses. I'm not about to really go full thick bass, ever. I play my SG because it sounds better for me, plays way better than my LP, and doesn't have the geriatric furniture look of a LP. IMO, even the players who were definitive LP users made the guitar, it didn't make them. Most have gone on to play other models to equal or greater acclaim. Clapton laid down his LP to go with an SG. The notion that it is somehow a sort of slightly-deficient LP is silly. It's different. I'm glad mine doesn't sound like a LP!

Latest Threads