What makes a good extension cab?

Deftone

Reaction score
I bought a great head cabinet from a guy on ebay for a very reasonable price - he sent it to me unfinished and I did the tolexing myself. Worked out very well and he was fantastic to work with.

No pics?

Soul Tramp

Speaker Snob
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Here's a tip for anyone that wants a durable good looking cabinet covering but doesn't want to struggle with tolex.

Duratex roll on truck bedliner is excellent. Goes on like paint and is easy to touchup. Here's an EV Thiele cab I covered with it.

Thiel-2.jpg

THDNUT

Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have 3 of these open back 2X12 cabs from Carvin, birch plywood, and they sound great. 2 have VL12s (Eminence) and were $199 ea., 1 has Celestion Vintage 30s and was $249, direct from Carvin. The only problem is that I bought them in the late 90s and the Celestion loaded one in 2005.

1613311611582.png

Deftone

Reaction score
Here's a tip for anyone that wants a durable good looking cabinet covering but doesn't want to struggle with tolex.

Duratex roll on truck bedliner is excellent. Goes on like paint and is easy to touchup. Here's an EV Thiele cab I covered with it.

View attachment 519090
Saw that somewhere else and I've been wanting to do that. Looks awesome! Gotta be tougher that tolex.

Side Burns

#==€@)
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Never heard or seen them but nice prices.

Deftone

Reaction score
If you're looking for a bargain, this Harley Benton 2x12 is only $233 and comes equipped with 2 Celestion V30's.

• Equipped with: 2x 12" Celestion Vintage 30 speakers
  • Power rating: 120 W at 8 Ohm or 2 x 60 W at 16 Ohm
  • Inputs: 2x 6.3 mm jack
  • Mono / stereo switchable
  • Housing made of 16 mm poplar plywood
  • Grille with decorative strips
  • Made with black Tolex
That's cheaper than buying two V30's w/o a cab.

https://www.thomannmusic.com/harley_benton_g212_vintage.htm

There's a vert model as well for $253.

PAPADON

Reaction score
empty extension cabinets (speakerless), is there a noticeable difference?

Seems to me they’re just a box and a badge.
Yep. That's exactly what they are. I look at it this way. From the cheap and lowly to the expensive and iconic the vast majority of Fender, Marshall, Mesa, Vox you name it combo amps come housed in low cost MDF cabinets yet somehow those same cheap cabinets have managed to dominate the music scene for as long as I can remember. If MDF is good enough for just about every great artist I know of I guess it's cetainly good enough for me.

BluesDudeAK

Reaction score
The holy grail of cabinet makers was Kerry Wright, who sadly passed away last year. I'm still on the hunt for his because a professional sound guy told me that cabinets make a huge difference in tone. I've got a line on another guy that makes incredibly nice looking and well engineered cabinets (and amps). But I've got like 30 speakers, and going to have to nail those down to say eight I'd like to put in cabinets. So I'm thinking quality for a few of the super nice speakers and something from Freddies Bait and Speaker cabinets for the rest.

PRSWILL

Reaction score
This is again, a personal preference and it all depends on what you want to accomplish. and where you play. a 4x12 cabinet, ported- closed back will generate a tremendous amount of sound pressure- so much so that you will physically feel it at volume in a small room. Unless you're playing BIG BIG places and doing in with a small FOH system, these are overkill. Yeah they look awesome- and most professional bands have them as props on stage- but MAYBE one cabinet ( if there are many) are actually running. Sound guys HATE these cabs- stage volumes get way out of control and it's really hard to put such a directional, powerful sound into a solid mix.
A 2x12 cabinet is a great choice- open backed will sound looser and is a great blues or clean tone box. Closed backs, will always be tighter and make for great, punchy boxes. 1x12 closed backs are what I prefer. easier to haul, no phasing issues and placement on stage is great. We are always miked and the blend is excellent with PLENTY of stage volume.

Materials- my H&K boxes are Tongue and Grooved, birch boxes- both ported and they sound great- and are very solid and durable. You CAN hear the wood in solid construction - plywood sounds flat- and most 4x12 boxes are made from this due to cost , size and weight. A 2x12 birch cab will weight 40 + pounds loaded- imagine a 4x12 Marshall cab!

Go play a few- your "sound" will find the right set-up.

Duane_the_tub

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I dunno, I've owned cabs at all different price points and honestly think the speaker choice has such a lion's share of impact on sound that I'm not inclined to sweat the box nearly as much as I used to. Weight is important if you're going to be moving it around a lot, yes. The rest of the details don't seem to matter enough to obsess over them like I usually do with gear. Port setup is a consideration, but that's really about it.

I had a Jet City 1x12, considered a cheap-o, that sounded fantastic. Certainly didn't hurt that it had an EVM-12L in it. My other favorite was a Morgan 2x12, which is a pretty nice box, but again a pair of C12H-75s can make just about any cab sound glorious.

Latest Threads