What Make Of Chorus?

Classicplayer

Reaction score
I just added an MXR Carbon Copy (not the mini bright) to by rig. It's now a Les Paul Trad into an Orange Dark Terror. After experimenting with a molder which offer delay and chorus at the same time, I wonder what chorus pedal would fit well with the Carbon Copy. My criterion are compact, not too pricey, and a fair amount of sweep from light chorus to a faster chimey swirl.

Classicplayer

tazzboy

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Boss ce-2 is what I have. If you can't afford that then get the Way Huge Blue Hippo.

tzd

Reaction score
I classify Chorus pedals into two types - those with a Level knob and those without.

If you want to use Chorus to thicken up a distorted amp tone, get a Chorus pedal with a Level knob because you would want to be able to turn down the Chorus effect.

If you want a very strong Chorus effect with a clean tone, the pedals without a Level knob do generally sound more lively than the ones with a Level knob.

northernguitarguy

SWeAT hOg
Reaction score
My first pedal of any kind is my DOD FX65 Stereo Chorus. I like it so much, I've never found a reason to look for another. From what I have read, it's based on the BOSS CE-2, which appears legendary.

Neffco

Premium Member
Reaction score
I have a boss ch-1. Had it since around 90, never looked for anything else. Can be super wet or mild.

sonar

Reaction score
It's a strange position. Part of me wants to write about Chorus being either an 80's cliche best left in the 80's, or a faux Leslie sim best left out of the mix altogether. That said, I find guilty pleasure out of a good chorus pedal.

For different reasons my two favorite are the Analogman (not cheap) and the MIJ CE-2, which is neither cheap nor practical. I've tried a bunch of cheaper alternatives (3 mentioned in this thread) and apart from the old Dod the others kinda sucked. (The Analogman is based off the Small Clone, yet I absolutely hate Small Clones. Go figure.)

@tzd makes a really good observation, although the Roland/Boss chorus with either distortion or amp overdrive are all over 80's records.

I really liked my buddies MXR M234 and even recommended it on the forum as a less expensive alternative, but the more I played it the less I liked it. There's just something lacking.

I've heard and read great things about the CE-2 Waza, but probably more than you're willing to spend. If I was gigging a Chorus on my everyday board I'd probably get the Waza and be done with it.

Sorry to be so dismissive about cheaper chorus pedals, but imo they're just not worth it. Maybe go the way @northernguitarguy and track down an old Dod, although buyer beware, some of the old Panasonic BBD chips are starting to fail.

Good luck.

lakeburst

Reaction score
I own the BOSS CE-2w and the Joyo Chorus ...

Think its time for Vemuram to house the Joyo circuit in their brownish kinda boutique box and sell it for $600. so people who need a higher pricetag can esteem the pedal too.

sonar

Reaction score
To each their own.

I found the Joyo to be bright, nasally and thin with no depth...

but whatever works for you.

lakeburst

Reaction score
I've seen a comparison vid on youtube, with a thin sounding Joyo chorus, but all I can tell is mine doesn't. It's more a full, round and brilliant signal. I use 2 of them with a Lele split box into two small amps and the result is breathtaking, my Red Witch Empress Chorusses have a break ....

The problem with Joyo might be their poor quality control. They produced for months a Overdrive whith two intercharged components ... hundreds of them where sold before they fixed it ;-)

Last edited:

lakeburst

Reaction score
One more excellent CE-2 clone:

Valeton CH-10 Analog Chorus
1567144897252.png

Very authentic, very compact and very affordable.

Ratings on Thomann:

1567145296180.png

Last edited:

Stinky Kitty

Reaction score
MXR stereo with the EQ to fatten things up.
Analogman Bichorus for sweet effect.
Boss CH-2 because it's the recognized tone for some tunes.

Classicplayer

Reaction score
Thanks to those who put up their choices. My choice is the MXR Micro M148. It seems the best choice for my needs. It's primary use will before slower tempo music and an aid to composition.

Classicplayer

guidothepimmp

Reaction score
Eh.. im out. Only chorus i have is a morley. It has a huge footprint though. Bloody big box.

Great sound though

st.bede

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I have an old dod chorus and it really does have a great sound.... the age is before batteries where an option to run a pedal.

I am also a real fan of ehx small clone.

EHX has some great sounding pedals (my fav flanger is the electric mistress, my fav delay is the old non digital memory man). Those pedals sound great but I stoped using them when I went down the Eventide path. At first Eventide bothered me because I could not get the EHX sounds. I then realized that Eventide has its’ own sound. I dig that a lot also. If I could get the EHX analog sounds with programable interface, that would be the very best for me. I still use a EHX Qtron. It just sounds really good and I use it in a different setting then typical (bandpass with long release).

If you go for an EHX, I have been told that the small box versions do not always sound a the same.

Chorus is fun and you have to find the sound that works for you. Some might sound too bright for you. Others could sound too tame. Or it could be the opposite. I have heard really good uses of cheap 80s digital 12 bit chorus. In many way I feel that chorus is the most personal of the time based fx.

Liquid State

Reaction score
I have been through a bunch or chorus pedals. Surprisingly the one I found that does the best subtle swirl (you notice when you turn it off, just add some color when on) and also goes fairly deep and does the high speed thing well is the Mooer (mini pedal) Ensemble King.... and you can pick one up used for $35 - $40 bucks. I have a couple on different boards.

kboman

Reaction score
The old 1990s 18V Danelctro Cool Cat is a stunner. The CE-2B is fab too because it has a mix knob if you like the option of subtlety.

Latest Threads