What locking tuners for 2003 SG?

Snowdogyyz

Reaction score
I prefer locking tuners and want to put some on my SG. Anyone know which ones fit without modification? It's a 2003 model.

KelvinS1965

Reaction score
Might be worth putting a few pictures of the headstock from both sides, so that we can see what is on there now.?

I just changed to locking tuners on my Gold Top and found some drop in replacements with help from this forum. I had to buy adaptor bushes as well as the tuners themselves, but it is a totally reversible modification (should I ever need to). From the front it looks pretty much as it did before (slightly rounded post tops compared to original).

AlanBiker

Reaction score
What's on there now? I replaced tyhe Grovers on my ES335 with Grover locking tuners and replaced the Gibson Deluxes on my LP and SG with Kluson Revolutions.. Straight swap with no carpentry required.

Alan

MSB

Reaction score
i've been very happy with regular kluson revolutions and don't see why the locking ones wouldn't be great too

jm55

Reaction score
I ordered these about a week ago, although they haven't arrived yet. Reviews are good. The cost from this seller was less than any retailer I scouted. There are two styles, one with press fit collars for 11/32" hole, and screw in for 25/64" hole. My 2014 Les Paul Standard is the latter, and so is your SG.

AlanBiker

Reaction score
The Kluson Revolutions are a straight swap and have 19:1 ratio. They make string changes a lot quicker and easier and look good too.

Alan

Deftone

Reaction score
Mine has Sperzels, I think they are the best locking tuner available. But these Kluson Revolutions look like they function the same way as Sperzels and are a direct fit replacement so I'd get the Kluson Revolutions.

KelvinS1965

Reaction score
It has original Klusens I believe. I’ll snap a pic in a bit.
Yours look very similar to the ones I just changed on my 60s Tribute Gold Top. This is a picture of the ones I fitted in place (and my Epiphone LP, which I did at the same time). For my GT I had to buy 10mm adaptor bushes, the Epiphone fitted directly with the supplied bushes that came with the tuners.

The ones on my GT were marked exactly the same as yours 'Gibson Deluxe', with the two screws securing them to the headstock.

I used Gotoh SD90-SL Magnum lock tuners in nickel finish.

Headstock rear.jpg

Front the front:
Headstock front.jpg

musicmaniac

Reaction score
Mine has Sperzels, I think they are the best locking tuner available. But these Kluson Revolutions look like they function the same way as Sperzels and are a direct fit replacement so I'd get the Kluson Revolutions.
I have both of these tuners and they both are excellent. I'm not sure if they need any modification as mine were on when I purchased the guitars. But either one is a good choice.

My Les Paul Classifieds