What kind of wood is this?

AndrewLP1081996

Reaction score
I found alot of this wood in a shed near my house. It's been in my family for along time and its been sitting a good while. It's a white/ yellowish wood and I was wondering what it was. I have a ton of it and was thinking about using it for a build. My guess is pine of cedar. Here's a few pics.

scimitar

Reaction score
Some kind of pine, don't think it's cedar, too pale.

AndrewLP1081996

Reaction score
Thanks guys that's what I thought its kinda warped so I don't know what I'll do with it yet. Who knows how long it's been sitting in the shed.

evolved_insanity

Reaction score
The smell while working with it will be a dead give away. The grain looks more cedar-ish than Pine and Cedar can have a wide range of colours from pale yellow to chocolate brown.

fatdaddypreacher

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
i agree that it may indeed be any of those mentioned, but it may also be fir. douglas fir in particular was used for general construction quite commonly in years past, though not as much recently. i also agree that the smell should give a hint. pine smells like...well, like pine (how profound is that?) fir to me has a tendency to have a faint waft of something less pleasant. ---wet dog, dirty socks...i dunno, but it makes a nice body if you don't mind it being a little soft. i'm working on one now salvaged from a bench i took down in what is now my inside guitar room. it's light.

i say use the doo-doo out of it.

pshupe

Reaction score
yep looks like - SPF building grade lumber to me. Although there is some pinkish tones there that would suggest cedar. The smell will definitely give it away. Cedar is very aromatic. (sp?)

that is great test wood - make a couple bodies and some necks and fiddle around with your tools. Go fast and don't worry about making mistakes. I have done a test guitar for 2 builds and I am way less apprehensive to get going on those and then that shows me what "to" or "not to" do when cutting the more expensive wood.

Cheers Peter.

61LPSG

Reaction score
Test bodies...maybe.
That wood just screams "TELE".

fatdaddypreacher

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
yeh, actually i didn't specify that. i don't think i'd do an lp style with it, but the one i built is a tele style and it works great.

AndrewLP1081996

Reaction score
I was thinking tele. It's local to my area and was cut from family property that I hunt in I believe. Unfortunately the thicker pieces have become termite male but there are probably 50-100 long boards in there! If I glue enough of them together I can have a decent blank I think. Another thing I've noticed I'd that it chips easily. I'm not sure if he boards are all of the same wood. Ill work on it some tomorrow and let you guys know what I find.

AndrewLP1081996

Reaction score
Gotta feeling this might be a fraken tele! Due to the amount of pieces the body might be haha. Don't know if I should start a second build if I'm not even close to done with my first!

AndrewLP1081996

Reaction score
Well I found a huge board. Cut 3 16 inch long prices, sanded them and set them up to glue together. Part of the board is warped but I used prices that were pretty straight. Found tons of wood down there. We will see what it leads to but for now here's some pics.

AndrewLP1081996

Reaction score
So I cut out the body today. Still needs sanding. Gonna wood fill the gaps in the body where I glued it together since I didn't sand it flat enough to start with. It also has some worm holes.

I'm thinking something like this
or a snakehead tele.
Not to bad for old warped wood!
It's also really heavy! Any ideas on how to lighten it up?

clsatt

Reaction score
I hate to be the bearer of bad news but your going to have some stability issues with your boards oriented that way. The grain needs to be oriented so it's parallel to the strings, same with your joints (there are exceptions to this but for your first you really should stick to the recipe) there are a lot of first time tele builds happening here.

As for lightening it, one option is to use a forsner bit to hog out some of the top and then put some sort of cap on it. Another is to do the same thing from the back, there are different considerations for both but I'm sure more folks will chime in when you get to that point.

Chris

AndrewLP1081996

Reaction score
Thanks Chris. I figured that would have to be like that. I was planning it that way but I cut it to short. Good news is I have plenty more wood to use. Was building it to practice in anyways. I'm going to order more tools today so I can resume in my jr. I think one build is enough for now! Haha

Latest Threads