What kind of oil do you use? How often do you change it?

RAG7890

Reaction score
I don't want to start a debate on Subaru motors BUT...

I have heard of many reliability problems with that 2.5 boxer.
I have also heard great things but I wouldn't take any chances.
I suggest you use the best oil available (Synthetic Mobil 1 comes to mind, ).
Buy it on sale in advance. Also buy a good synthetic filter (my mechanic says
it's not worth going to crazy prices but dirt cheap is a bad choice).

12,000 miles is way too much mileage in my opinion.
I checked it out:
This from a Subaru Dealership:
"6,000 Miles- At this specific mileage, you'll need to have your engine oil and filter replaced. If your vehicle features the standard 2.5-liter engine, then you'll need 0w-20 synthetic oil. If you drive the 3.6-liter turbo engine, then you'll need 5w-30 synthetic or conventional oil. At this interval, you'll also need to have your tires rotated. "

On such a motor, I would definitely use synthetic oil (I do in all of our cars...)
and change it religiously every 6,000 miles. The "extra wear" permitted by synthetic
oil is only acting as a "buffer" towards keeping the motor running for a long time.

Some manufacturers (Mercedes and others) recommend a change of oil every 10,000 miles
but I wouldn't wait so long myself. If the mileage is done quickly, long trips at regular speeds
you can go a long way but for most people our daily start and shut, stop and go, doesn't make for long mileage
intervals.

YMMV !
:)
The Subaru 3.6L Boxer Engine is naturally aspirated, not Turbo charged.

:cheers2:

Howard2k

Reaction score
Absolutely fantastic stuff, and it's safe for motorcycle wet clutches.
I used to use Rotella in my bike. I don’t recall the exact one, but for some absurd reason it wasn’t available in Canada so I’d have to drive over the border to get it. Good stuff.

NorlinBlackBeauty

Reaction score
DIY or GTFO.

My turbocharged WRX engine does well with Shell Rotella T6 5W-40. Full synthetic.

Yes, I know it is supposed to be a "Diesel" oil. Many in the WRX community have found it is an excellent oil to use over many years.

Dino (conventional) oil takes too long to flow in really cold temps.

Last edited:

Howard2k

Reaction score
I used to use synthetic in my bike and my WRX. Now I drive a Hyundai it’s just dino oil at factory intervals.

CB91710

Premium Member
Reaction score
Buy it on sale in advance.
This is key.
I buy Mobil-1 in the 5qt jugs, either at Walmart or Amazon, when it goes on sale, and I'll get 4 or 8 jugs... whatever I have the spare cash for.
$25 for the jug of oil, plus $4 for the OEM Toyota filter (I also buy in a case of 10), so my oil changes are only $30.

CB91710

Premium Member
Reaction score
Royal purple is famous for it's long intervals. They reccomend 12,000
Royal Purple is famous for spending a shitoad of advertising money getting their products displayed and used on TV shows on the Speed channel.

Is Royal Purple going to replace your engine when it shits the bed?

Is Subaru going to replace your engine if it fails within warranty and you've documented 12k OCI?

NorlinBlackBeauty

Reaction score
Royal Purple is famous for spending a shitoad of advertising money getting their products displayed and used on TV shows on the Speed channel.

Is Subaru going to replace your engine if it fails within warranty and you've documented 12k OCI?
I must admit to reading more negative than positive regarding the purple oil.

My car fanatic credentials can be read here: https://www.clubwrx.net/members/sasquatch.13487/

CB91710

Premium Member
Reaction score
I used to use Rotella in my bike. I don’t recall the exact one, but for some absurd reason it wasn’t available in Canada so I’d have to drive over the border to get it. Good stuff.
I remember there was some really oddball weight of Rotella that was the only one that was available in Canada. Forum buds on both sides of the border kept telling each other they must be mistaken... someone finally posted screenshots and we were all :wow:
Don't know if it was emissions or climate related, but considering Rotella is intended for heavy trucks, it could have been either one.
FWIW, the conventional 15w40 was a decent oil.

Alligatorbling

หัวเราะดังลั่น
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score

I see where your going. It's just what I use because it's never let me down. Its just as clean looking coming out as it is going in.

RAG7890

Reaction score
While I can get Liqui Moly at close to Wholesale I found, last year, that Black Friday Sales results in significant savings.

So now, I’ll buy what I need for the year for both Oils & all the Filters.

So there’s a tip, if you haven’t thought of this. ;)

:cheers2:

toymaker

Reaction score
Subaru engines get a bad wrap...but I have seen plenty of good ones.

Think of it like a CBS strat or Norlin LP - they aren’t ALL bad...a few good ones sprinkled in from time to time.

Royal Purple - 98% marketing, 2% science

as opposed to “regular names” which are all marketing - there are what, 5 producers of motor oil and 115 “brands”.

elephantrider

Reaction score
every 3k miles on the scooters.
every 10k miles on the tow pig.
every 7500 miles on the commuter.

Latest Threads