What Kind of Mods Can You Live With (or not) When Buying LPs

ghost driver

Reaction score
Ok, I happen to want my frets covered with the binding nibs. For that reason I've put off a fret job on a certain Les Paul that I own because the nibs will be gone. I also believe it will take from the value of this Guitar but that's not the subject here.
So that's been a deal breaker on a few used Les Pauls that had interest in. Going to have to get over it or replace the binding as well as the frets.

Deftone

Reaction score
Yea, I have a '79 LPC and the frets are damn near non existent but I still got them nibs!

RAG7890

Reaction score
Ok, I happen to want my frets covered with the binding nibs. For that reason I've put off a fret job on a certain Les Paul that I own because the nibs will be gone. I also believe it will take from the value of this Guitar but that's not the subject here.
So that's been a deal breaker on a few used Les Pauls that had interest in. Going to have to get over it or replace the binding as well as the frets.
Are we talking Cover Girl here?

If we are, I’d get the Fret job done because we all know you’ll taking that one to the grave. ;)

:cheers2:

guitaroholic

Reaction score
Kust like the titles says.

For me:

- not original frets;

- not original plastic parts;

- not original modifications to the body (obviously);

- not original pots;

- when it has been refinished.

My 2003 Brazilian 59 has a changed nut. I can live with that because everything else is original on it.
For GIbsonUSA, I'm the opposite on frets and pots. My 3 USAs all underwent a fret rounding to get rid of the school bus shape. The '73 Custom luckily had a refret. Wouldn't want to deal with a fretless wonder. and 2 of 3 USAs are 50s wired. The only reason the third isn't cuz it survived 28 years without modding and was my first LP. Also it has 496R/500T pups so it always stays on 10 anyways. The R9 is untouched too... for now.

ARandall

Reaction score
Ok, I happen to want my frets covered with the binding nibs. For that reason I've put off a fret job on a certain Les Paul that I own because the nibs will be gone.
Not if you choose your person right. Refrets with nibs have been done many times. But they are more pricey thats for sure.

ghost driver

Reaction score
Not if you choose your person right. Refrets with nibs have been done many times. But they are more pricey thats for sure.
I have not been able to find anyone that will do it and still have nibs. Admittedly I don't know many who work on them. If you do please share. Thanks.

Jake_Jakerson

Reaction score
Frets are like tires on a car, they are going to wear out and need replacing.
The only red flags for me are holes for mini toggles(big in the 70`s).
That really turns me off.
Same here, passed on a 76 LPC with nice tobacco burst, because it had like 3 additional holes drilled into it for toggle switches...

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

Reaction score
An LP that's had a refret wouldn't bother me, as long as they did a good job with it. Chances are if the frets aren't original it's been played a fair bit which should mean that at least one owner has enjoyed playing it a lot!

I'd probably draw the line at any fake ageing or relicing, unless it had undergone a legitimate HM

MooCheng

Reaction score
" Mr Polsfuss whats your opinion on nibs ?"

Deftone

Reaction score
My 2014 Standard Light came with no nibs. I cut them off my '89 LPC for some jumbos.

I like modded, broke neck Gibbys. I look for them. Price is reasonable and they sound just as good. Plus they have some character.

mudface

Non-Deadbeat/Non-Prominent
Reaction score
A awesome re-fret outweighs nibs in my opinion... of course my guitars are all keepers... i don't sell nothing. So what i do to them or what i have done to them is on me.... buying guitars that are modified doesn't really bother me. As long as the mods serve a purpose and i like what was done i can't see an issue..... I'm keeping it if i buy it or it's a pass.

That being said,... i still look for all original instruments. The problem is.... i need to stop looking.......:rofl:

Pappy58

Reaction score
I tend to lean toward buying things that are original. Once folks start hacking them up, the risk factor rises. I've never purchased anything that was highly modified. Thats doesn't mean I wont put some mods on myself, but I don't want someone elses. :eek2:

ARandall

Reaction score
I have not been able to find anyone that will do it and still have nibs. Admittedly I don't know many who work on them. If you do please share. Thanks.
Well, I'm probably half a world away.....so even if I didn't build guitars myself and do fretting - I'd probably have useless recommendations.

Maybe start a thread in the Luthiers Corner here.

ghost driver

Reaction score
Well, I'm probably half a world away.....so even if I didn't build guitars myself and do fretting - I'd probably have useless recommendations.

Maybe start a thread in the Luthiers Corner here.
Thanks for the advice. I'll figure something out.

Roxy13

Reaction score
I think half my guitars have refrets at this point, but I tend to buy ones that need work for fun. I also am partial to old guitars so a good number have needed a new bridge, screws that have been rusted and other parts that just aren't functioning well anymore.

I have a Greco that is no longer wearing a single original part. I've replaced frets, tuners, trc, pickup rings, pickups, wiring harness and tailpiece. It didn't have a pg anymore when I bought it and it does now.

Latest Threads