Reaction score
Kust like the titles says.

For me:

- not original frets;

- not original plastic parts;

- not original modifications to the body (obviously);

- not original pots;

- when it has been refinished.

My 2003 Brazilian 59 has a changed nut. I can live with that because everything else is original on it.

RAG7890

Reaction score
Who gives a 7uck, if it is a good Guitar & the price is fair.

Loads of upgrades are acceptable, provided it is not a Guitar bought to sit under a Bed for years because someone thinks they will make a small fortune.

This seems to be a silly discussion under the current climate.

It’s like, I’m dying from Covid - 19, but I’m cool cause my Frets are original. :rofl::rofl::rofl:

:cheers2:

Last edited:

JMB1984

Premium Member
Reaction score
Reversible things like plastics and pickups being changed don’t bother me. Frets would depend on what they are replaced with. Refins would depend on who did it and what they did. A Historic Makeover goes a long way over some guy doing their first Refin in the backyard to add racing strips.

bosnialove

Reaction score
That is really a ridiculous comment from you rudie. I hope you realize that.

Dilver

Reaction score
I’d rather have a refretted guitar (as long as it was well done) than a guitar with worn frets. Unless it’s stainless steel, frets are going to wear down. It’s like brakes on a car... eventually, you have to have them replaced. And when you replace the frets, you often replace the nut. Buying a used guitar with a recent, well done refret is a gift. Again, not a big deal as long as it was done well.

Don‘t really care if the electronics have been replaced, if it’s not a vintage guitar.

mudface

Non-Deadbeat/Non-Prominent
Reaction score
Who gives a 7uck, if it is a good Guitar & the price is fair.

Loads of upgrades are acceptable, provided it is not a Guitar bought to sit under a Bed for years because someone thinks they will make a small fortune.

This seems to be a silly discussion under the current climate.

It’s like, I’m dying from Covid - 19, but I’m cool cause my Frets are original. :rofl::rofl::rofl:

:cheers2:
:rofl:we’re all dying amigo..... some sooner than others..... covid-19 or not.... I’m on the sooner route.... just cuz I just feel old.

But..... I still like my stuff “original” unless the mods were required..... collapsed bridge.... broken pot.... poor nut..... dead pup... or an awesome refinish like Historic Makeovers.

There’s a lot I can live with..... or die with.... what ever makes you happy.;)

Last edited:

Uncle Vinnie

Proud Boomer
Premium Member
Reaction score
Tuners. When someone removes the Kluson-style tuners with the ferrule and reams out the hole for Grovers, and then you have that extra screw hole in the back of the headstock. That is something that cannot be undone and is an absolute deal killer for me.

Merkin

Premium Member
Reaction score
Mods are just part of the guitar's trip, I'd rather buy a guitar that had got an extra lb of brass added in the 70s by a player than something that has been kept unplayed by a collector.

MooCheng

Reaction score
hardware mods or p'up changes wouldn't put me off a good guitar

fake ageing is a deal breaker, I look at some of these relic'd jobs and think WTF were they doing

Oranjeaap

Reaction score
I can live with nearly everything apart from very obvious structural stuff like floyd rose routing.
Refin is fine if it's pro job in nitro. Refret is actually a plus because I like bigger frets. Neck crack is fine is the price is right. But hey I like trashed guitars so as long nothing is broken beyond repair it's fine with me.

efstop

Premium Member
Reaction score
I have two LPs, one modded cosmetically, the other one has only tuners and TOM/tail piece as original. They aren't historics, and aren't worth much either way. But, I'm the one who modded them.

CB91710

Premium Member
Reaction score
Even more ridiculous is not being able to live with a guitar because the frets (heaven forbid people actually play their guitars) and plastics are not original. OCD insanity.
Another forum currently has an insanely dumb thread about "what makes it a Partscaster", with everyone having their own rules, including one guy who swears that he lost 50% on resale because he had upgraded to (OEM) locking tuners :facepalm:

RAG7890

Reaction score
That is really a ridiculous comment from you rudie. I hope you realize that.
..................it is a joke................made at least 4 others & I laugh.

Surely you already know the answer to the question?

Cheers, Rudi

ARandall

Reaction score
Man.....having seen the way some people's minds work, I'm SO glad to be me. I mean, heaven forbid that the guitar you buy secondhand should have been such a player that the wearing parts (frets) should have been replaced.
Plus the fact that the $$ hit for replacing was done by the previous owner and you don't have to stump up the cash for it.

In fact both my oldest Gibsons had been done - I was SO glad, especially as the heavily worn low-wide less preferable shape was replaced with fresh/new taller wire. So a double win.
I was way less lucky with the 85 SG....which not only has the less playable low frets, but they are worn too. So there is an unpleasant job in front of me at some point.

Edit - some pickups swaps are ok. I scored with the upgrades in the 80 Deluxe (Sheptone and Wolfetone p90's) and the 74 Custom (had Holmes PAF clones). In both cases buying the period correct original type pickups was cheaper than getting the aftermarket pickups.
Other than that.....the more naturally worn they look, the better.

Last edited:

Merkin

Premium Member
Reaction score
Man.....having seen the way some people's minds work, I'm SO glad to be me. I mean, heaven forbid that the guitar you buy secondhand should have been such a player that the wearing parts (frets) should have been replaced.
Plus the fact that the $$ hit for replacing was done by the previous owner and you don't have to stump up the cash for it.

In fact both my oldest Gibsons had been done - I was SO glad, especially as the heavily worn low-wide less preferable shape was replaced with fresh/new taller wire. So a double win.
I was way less lucky with the 85 SG....which not only has the less playable low frets, but they are worn too. So there is an unpleasant job in front of me at some point.

Edit - some pickups swaps are ok. I scored with the upgrades in the 80 Deluxe (Sheptone and Wolfetone p90's) and the 74 Custom (had Holmes PAF clones). In both cases buying the period correct original type pickups was cheaper than getting the aftermarket pickups.
Other than that.....the more naturally worn they look, the better.
Got to agree - the fact that my 76 Les Paul had been re-fretted and not too long ago, was a definite factor in my buying it

Latest Threads